Tuesday, January 10, 2017

An Icy Day Makes For Scrap Play

Confessions Of A Fabric Addict

Like so many areas, we are into the deep freeze with snow, wind, and ice.  A good mix for staying inside and enjoying some scrap play.


First up I want to tackle these cut offs one of our students gifted me.  Some very pretty orientals that I am using Bonnie Hunter's Hour Glass Block Challenge with.  These are just a beginning as Emily is making 40 star blocks and I should eventually receive 320 'points' - makes for a lot of hourglasses. I don't have an oriental stash, so this is gold to me.


Then I am taking on these strips to make some string blocks on old phone book papers.  I don't have to think too hard - just run them thru the machine while some music plays in the background.

Hope you get to sew today,
Sewingly Yours,
Sharon

15 comments:

sewyouquilt2 said...

cant wait to see what you make with these "parts". Ihave decided that my stash needs to be cut up so that I can use it. isnt it funny how we save it for a special quilt and that time never comes. I want to use it and make quilts I can gift and enjoy.

Debbie said...

Love the hour glass blocks. Very cute! I am with you on the strings....my basket is overflowing again. So some mindless sewing to do.

Susie said...

I love the quilts you produce from all the scraps and when I get enough time(!) I am going to try and do something with all the scraps I have but I still have some UFOs' which I need to finish first. Keep warm in all the cold weather. They have forecast thunder snow for some parts of the UK but I think we are just going to have it very cold and frosty (we are in the middle of the country). Hugs, Susie x

Jeanna said...

The oriental fabrics should be fun to play with. They will make some very pretty hour glass blocks.

Stay warm and sew on...

Dana Gaffney said...

Strings are on my list but I don't have the mind set to get started on them. Have fun with that Asian fabric, I don't have any either but have seen some really beautiful ones.

Sherry said...

Enjoy your time working with scraps. I was able to get a little sewing in this week, it feels great. Stay warm and cozy.

Barbara said...

We got around eight inches of snow last night, which is a lot for us. Enjoy your scraps. I'll be quilting today.

Denise :) said...

Cold, snow, ice (rain, sleet, wind) -- all of those are great excuses for playing inside with scraps! You've got this in the bag, so to speak!! LOL! :)

Val's Quilting Studio said...

I've totally been using your phone book idea for strips and LOVE it too! Yes, easy peasy sewing! THANKS Sharon!

Val's Quilting Studio said...

PS: Glad you are keeping warm and busy.

Needled Mom said...

It looks like a great project for a cold day.

Mary said...

How big are your cut-off Hourglass units? Snowed in along with most of the PNW. Enjoy your Sew time.

Char said...

String blocks are still a favorite!

Sheila said...

Lots of wet weather here too , great for sewing . Can't wait to see what you do with the cut offs , they look like pretty fabrics and string blocks are fun to do 😊

Kate said...

It's definitely been sewing weather. Looking forward to seeing how all your playing worked out.