Thursday, January 5, 2017

Meadow's Mountains


I had a lot of requests and questions on this quilt so I thought I would do a little update and info about it.  


This was a pattern from a magazine that I have yet to find - original name is Mountain Meadows by (?) Julie Weaver, but I couldn't find any info on the copy as to what magazine this is from and nothing found in a web search.  I had a very poor quality photo copy given to me by a guild member some years ago.  Yes, this is the quality of the copy - a challenge.  


I like a challenge and I liked this pattern and it was stored away thinking I would use it some time as part of the now defunct Let's Book It. 


Since I made this all scrappy, I can't give you yardage - plus, you can make this as many blocks as you like for size quilt you would like.  I made the large geese 4.5" x 8.5" using 4.5" corners (flip method - gave me the bonus HSTs).  The small geese are 2.5" x 4.5" with 2.5" corners (flip method - keep the tiny corners or toss).  I used a variety of whites and w/w/w scraps for my corners - I wanted to tame those scraps and give some more fun to this quilt - you could play with what you like.


Sew two small geese onto each other (4.5" square now) and attach to half of the right side of a large geese and half to the left side of a large geese.  To make a 12.5" block sew three 'geese strip units' alternating directions.  


How ever many blocks you plan to use for you size quilt - half of your 12.5" blocks will be made with the large geese on the left and the other half with a large geese on the right.  This is so when you put your blocks into rows, you get a double large goose and double/double little geese.


Per this photo I determined the borders are 1.5" dark skinny, 1.5" light skinny, piano key border made with 2.5" x 4.5" rectangles, cornerstone little geese (two 2.5" x 4.5"),  then  your two skinny borders.  BUT you could do any border you like.

I hope this answers any questions - if someone can find the original source I will update that here.  I will add this to my tutorial page should you like to make this quilt.  ** Quilter's World - Autumn 2015 issue **

18 comments:

Debbie said...

Found the pattern....in Quilter's World Autumn 2015 issue. It can be downloaded, but someone surely has it on the shelf:) Thanks, Sharon. Really like this.

Dana Gaffney said...

Thank you! Seeing it broken down like that I get it, sewn together they all blend together so nicely.

Jeanna said...

I love flying geese. I was trying to make some last night and something was all wrong. I can't get them to come out to the right size. It may be that the background or 'sky' fabric I'm using isn't very good quality. I'm also going to try to adjust my needle placement...my 1/4" may be off.

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

I found it in Quilter's World Autumn issue, here is a link, scroll to the next to last picture on the right - https://www.anniescatalog.com/detail.html?prod_id=126041&cat_id=1892

Barbara said...

It's very cute. Great way to use those bonus triangles.

Quilting Babcia said...

Thanks for sharing, I really like this pattern and the scraps are accumulating again ...

Jeanne said...

Love this - thanks!!!

Calicojoan said...

I've got lots of stash to bust. Thanks so much Sharon

Eat Sleep Quilt said...

I love, love your quilt! This is the type pattern that you can't go wrong, adding it to my to-do list. Thanks for sharing.

Rebecca in AK said...

Thank you so much for the pattern information. This will be such a great scrappy quilt. I think I just added another project to my 2017 list!

Sarah said...

Thanks for the info - I've printed your notes and the magazine photo to put with my woodsman fabric. I'm going to stay focused on my mystery blocks for the next couple weeks and then I'll play with this idea.

Lesley said...

Thanks for the info! Always good to have the source just in case. Your instructions will be very helpful!

Northern Deb said...

Love this quilt! Maybe NEXT year...when I allow myself to start a new project.

sewyouquilt2 said...

awesome! thanks again Sharon for your inspiration and helpful tutorial. cute quilt to play with.

MissPat said...

Thanks for the details and for updating the post with the source information. And thanks to the detectives who were able to find the source. It's a neat pattern.

BillieBee (billiemick) said...

Really a nice pattern. See someone found it for you.

Kate said...

Thanks for linking up the pattern source. This is a great scrap user, but probably not for this year. Looking forward to seeing your version all finished.

Michele said...

It's a great pattern for using up those bits.