Thursday, January 12, 2017

Stringing in the Rain


It was a totally different day today.  We reached 50, but it poured by the buckets all day.  My goal over the last two days was to tame these strings.



Does it look tame enough now?  I just can't seem to control those greens though - they are in everything I pull it seems.



After seeing Angela's Rainbow Strings with the skinny black and color on one side and lights on the other - BAM!  I had just enough left over skinny strips from the BEAR quilt to make centers for 30 blocks and I went from there.



My phone book papers were 8" square and I would have over extended 
the paper to get an 8.5", but my skinny blacks would not work that .  But that is OK as a finished 7.5" block is fine and they worked up a lot of those strings.

I have next on my list to get to the borders on the Meadow's Mountains quilt, but......



I am going HERE instead.  They have their annual in-store $5 yard sale (entire shop) and $8 yard extra wides.  I am not on a fabric diet and I do have a list of things that I need for finishing all those quilts in that large tub.



Now how can this not entice you to do a little shopping?  And lunch out is in order , too.

Sewingly Yours,
Sharon

22 comments:

sewyouquilt2 said...

rainy days at your house are fun! love those strings gotta tame mine

Gretchen Weaver said...

Have fun shopping. I'm not on a fabric diet either but I do try to NOT shop unless I need something. Have a great day!

Dana Gaffney said...

Fabric diet or not I'd be shopping with you, especially those extra wides, that's a great price. Have fun!

Quilting Babcia said...

Super sale! Wish I lived close to that shop!

Karen said...

It sounds like you are going to have fun shopping. I too have been sewing string blocks. How do you use strings that the length is 5" or less?

Debbie said...

Oh, I need 90" wide white, can you find me a bolt, please? Love the string blocks, and I could use more greens. And I love how yours are coming together.

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

Of course you have to support your quilt shop! No fabric diets here either.

MissPat said...

That's quite a sale. I wouldn't have much willpower to not buy at that price. I'm going to work on string blocks while I'm in FL so I don't have to worry about seam allowance using a different machine. We had a lot of rain yesterday. Today temp is back in the 20's.

Needled Mom said...

I love those strings with the neutrals on one side. I know you will have a great day shopping that sale. Can't wait to see what you happen to bring home.

Teresa in Music City said...

Shopping sales and having lunch with you would be on my bucket list for Sharon!!! Now you've gone and inspired me to play with a few strings today :*). And love your title by the way - too clever!!!

Calicojoan said...

$5 now that's a deal no one can pass up! Happy shopping.

Nancy J said...

I would be there too, and load up the seats, boot, and maybe even the trailer!!! Good looking strips, they are getting all sorted and used.

Joanne said...

Sounds heavenly. Enjoy!

Barbara said...

Ooooh, you know I love a good quilt shop. Your string blocks are looking great. I'm afraid you're getting a preview for the weather in our future next week. There's some concern about flooding when all of our snow melts.

Kevin the Quilter said...

How I love everything about this post! Stringing in the rain.....perfect! Shopping for fabric......even better! And lunch out is the best!

Dasha said...

Can I come shopping in that cute shop too? Please, please, pretty please?? I'm not a fan of foundation piecing strings as it seems to take me forever to take the blinking papers out. But it does make fabulous blocks. Well done.

Rebecca in AK said...

Loving those string blocks! I would love to join in on the shopping fun! And then out for lunch? Sounds like the perfect day.

gayle said...

Happy shopping! Nothing perks up a gloomy day like a fabric sale!
I love those string blocks! I want to make a string quilt some day, but I keep seeing too many beautiful ones and now I can't make up my mind which one I want to do first! 8)

Jeanna said...

That is a great sale! I look forward to seeing what you purchase.

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

I'm never on a fabric diet, but, I have been cutting back, since I really need to use some of my fabrics. Hope you enjoy shopping. I like those string blocks.

Kate said...

Very fun string blocks. You do such a great job of using up all the odds and ends in your projects. Hope you had a fun shopping expedition and found everything you needed (plus maybe a couple of things you didn't).

Lyndsey said...

Oh I wish I lived near you. I could have spent a fortune in that sale. Hope you got everything you needed.