Saturday, January 21, 2017

Long Week


Yes, it has been a long week and we are tired glad it is over.  Some of you were shocked at the 20 bobbins thing (and some of you weren't).  I'm retired and sew/quilt every day and almost all day - and sometimes thru the night.  Depending on what you are stitching, depends on how much thread you are using.  Blocks with lots of pieces and seams take more thread and I happen to use a little shorter stitch, so more thread.  And if you are quilting - well again, depending on the design depends on how much thread is used.  


A lot of you participate in the stash accounts - fabric used.  I keep track of how much thread I use for inventory and re-order.  I am a scrap quilter so almost impossible to really track that flow.  This test quilt (ready for quilting) for instant had blocks with 17 seams per block.  Yes, 30 blocks were made and put into a quilt top in a week - mixed with other things.



Like all the blocks for all the QALs.  These are for the Patchwork with Fat Quarter.  Geese were made, rails, 4-patches, 9-patches - easily over 100 blocks this week.


Even the Black Bear was played with.  There was always something under the needle, chaining and leader/ender one project after another.  Yes, you have to be organized and focused - the seam ripper did come out occassionally.


Usually I make more than needed blocks - orphans are handy in other projects.  BUT, I found I was two green bear paw blocks short so the green drawer came out again.  Moe must love this drawer and I can't believe he squished himself into it.

  
And I fought the Queen of the House for this quilt again!!


I won!!  The last border is on and the backing is pieced, batt is cut and I am ready to sandwich/quilt this one for the weekend.  Wonder how many bobbins I will use.


So while the furkids nap away another rainy day (or two), I have two quilts and a wallhanging to quilt.  Best wind those bobbins and get busy.

** linking up with Feline Friday and Whoop Whoop Friday **

Sewingly Yours,
Sharon

22 comments:

Yanicka said...

I don't sew as much as you because of health but I found a great solution....I got a thread seller to sponsor me LOL. I just loved their prices and qualities so I contacted them :D

Nancy J said...

I do all my joining with the same thread, a Gutterman Colour 722, a pale medium beige. The only time I change is for pure white or black fabric. But the top thread can change many times. I load lots of bobbins with this. A sponsor, what bliss.

Calicojoan said...

Oh you did start another bear quilt. It's till on my to do list. Love your flying geese. That's another on my list! LOL!! Busy busy you are for sure.

Jeanne said...

Love your Mountain Meadow, and I've started one also :)

gayle said...

May your bobbins always be full!
I love all your projects - especially that geese quilt. Glad you managed to wrestle it away from Her Ladyship!

Quilting Babcia said...

I'm really looking forward to seeing the Bear Paw all quilted, it's wonderful. But I really love your pyramids along the Nile quilt! Bobbin size matters too. I do most of my piecing on a Singer 301 which uses smaller bobbins than most, so 20 bobbins doesn't sound like that many at all. And I know you sew more hours a day than I do. Happy quilting!

Teresa in Music City said...

I bet your house stays warm just from all the steam you generate working so hard at the machine LOL!!!

Val's Quilting Studio said...

Your kitties always make me smile! I too think your Bear Paw is amazing!!

Sarah Craig said...

Whoop whoop, Sharon! Those are some beautiful projects, especially the green triangles, and your fur-kids look so sweet!

Debbie said...

Wow.....I like how you track thread usage. The Mountain quilt looks super.

Dana Gaffney said...

I've always liked the way you keep count of your used thread spools and hearing about 20 bobbins didn't surprise me at all, you do a lot of sewing, LOL. The bear paw is gorgeous as are the furbabies.

KatieQ said...

Seeing the number 20 in reference to bobbins seemed like a lot. When I thought about it, I realized that I went through 2 bobbins this week and didn't do nearly the amount of stitching that you did. I tend to pay attention to spool usage rather than bobbins. I think from now on, I'll pay attention to my bobbin usage as well. is there a reason that you use a smaller stitch size?

Sarah said...

Congrats on all you accomplished this week - even with the furkids helping. Ha! Once I get going this morning i am hoping to get the last 5 seams of my mystery quilt together and then piece a back. Depending on the rest of the day I may hoof it to the fire hall to use their big tables for spray basting.

Barbara said...

You have been busy, for sure. Looks like you've worn out your furkids.

Eat Sleep Quilt said...

Oh my, you've been 'bobbin' right along! I love how your flying geese quilt turned out, that narrow red border scrappy outer border added just the right touch.

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

In December, I was using 2+ bobbins a day, trying to finish projects. I haven't sewn a stitch so far, in 2017, but that will change soon. Love that flying geese quilt. I just added a printout of your tutorial into my 'to do' book.

Kristi said...

I'm so happy that in retirement you can do something you love! I work part-time and have a kid at home, but I always try to sew a little everyday. Sometimes it's blocks, other times it's organizing and cutting scraps, other times is quilting on my frame. I find that with even just a little creative time each day that I'm much happier!

sewyouquilt2 said...

you are just whipping up those bear quilts like nobodys business! if you get bored, you can always make me one. LOL blue please.
love seeing what you are up to.

Sheila said...

This quilt is absolutely beautiful. Love the pattern, colors, border. Everything. I could see me making this one sometime.

Kate said...

The flying geese quilt turned out beautifully. I'm looking forward to the finish of your black bear quilt. Congrats on maintaining focus and working around the fur kids naps (Does watching them nap every make you sleep?)

Lyndsey said...

Moe squidged in a tight space always makes me smile. I love your black bear. I'm still working on the blocks for this quilt and seeing yours is purring me on to get them all made.

Michele said...

I'm glad that you have a lot of time to work on all your great projects.