Thursday, January 10, 2013

How Far Will You Go Quilt Along

 
 
I made the Twin/Full size quilt.  I changed a few of the blocks and switched around some of the layout to help reduce seams.  Here it is on a twin bed, but it would really look better on a full bed.  And that is the pillow I made for the Project Quilting Challenge - I have a lovely set. 
 

 
I spread it out on the floor so you get a better look.  I used the fabric line - Summer Breeze II.  It was a gifted Fat Quarter bundle from my Sister-in-Law for helping her with her first quilt.  She knows I LOVE the color blue!
 
 
I had trouble finding border fabric in the same line - Moda does not hold their fabric lines very long and I had to browse various on-line resources and finally found the dark blue and floral in an Etsy shop.  It is from the Summer Breeze - first collection.
 
 
 
I quilted this on my home machine - with the 4.5" harp space.  So I used the method of breaking the center of the quilt down into quarters to manage on the machine. And straight line quilted the narrow dark blue border with my walking foot.  Then finished up the FMQ on the outer border.  I used the dark blue for the binding and machine applied.
  
 
 
I used an over-dyed muslin for backing, Connecting Threads poly Pro line for the top and their 100% cotton thread for the bottom.  This quilt finished 68" x 88" and is the largest quilt I have done myself on my home machine.  I have always wanted a 'French Cottage' quilt and now I have one.
 
Thank you Jess and Jess for such a great quilt along.  Please visit  The Elven Garden to see all the entrants in this quilt along.  There are three catagories:  large quilt, throw, and small item.
 
Sewlingly Yours,
Sharon

30 comments:

Christine M said...

Lovely quilt Sharon.

rubyslipperz1052 said...

Wow! Ans awesome that you quilted such a large quilt on your home machine, pretty blue colors :)

Hugz
annie

Oops-Lah said...

Love it! Well done!

Barbara said...

Pretty! I love those fabrics.

Flo @ Butterfly Quilting said...

very nice..great fabric!

BillieBee (billiemick) said...

I've run out of words. Each picture shows your work more beautiful....excellent job!

Jess @ Scrappy n Happy said...

Your quilt is beautiful! Your colours are perfect, really it is wonderful!

Mary on Lake Pulaski said...

Absolutely beautiful job Sharon! You have a beauty.

✾Jamie Lee Cooley✾ said...

Way to go quilting this on your home machine, that's no easy feat and the quilt has turned out beautifully!

Anonymous said...

The quilt looks fabulous!

Anonymous said...

love this Sharon the fabric is so beautiful,well done.xx

Snoodles said...

Just gorgeous - fabrics AND workmanship!

hafza said...

I love your fabric...beautiful work. Congratulations!

Lyndsey said...

Your finished quilt is so beautiful and I love the colours.

Michele said...

Just lovely!

Pauline G said...

Just live this - like you blue is my favourite colour - could just see this on my guest bed!!

Jess @ Elven Garden Quilts said...

It really is so gorgeous Sharon. Thanks so much for quilting along, it's been an absolute pleasure watching your quilt grow :o)

Belinda said...

That is simply beautiful! It turned out great!

Rosa said...

Fabulous and love your fabrics choice!!

Sheila said...

Oh my. Beautiful quilt, Sharon. Yes. I does look French. Love the Summer Breeze Moda Line. I need to finish mine!
You would keep a long arm sewing machine busy. Hope one is in your future.

Debbie said...

How beautiful. I so love the colors you used on this. French country style is so appealing. Great job.

Sheila said...

Just beautiful Sharon , it looks wonderful on the bed with your new matching pillow !

Lynette said...

Whoop! Whoop! :) Such pretty florals in there, and I *love* that rich blue back.

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Good job! I only got 4 blocks done before 'life' interrupted.

Deb@asimplelifequilts said...

This is so pretty... I love that fabric line and blue & yellow is such a classic combination! I'm all too often scouring etsy or eBay for finishing fabric too. I'm very impressed that you quilted this on a 4.5" harp.

Kris said...

Sharon - This quilt is just gorgeous!! What a fun project!! And I LOVE yellow and blue together!!

Denise :) said...

It's the same line that the pillow's made from?! I can't get enough yellow and blue together! And the over-dyed muslin you used for the backing is perfect! Very beautiful! :)

Richard Healey said...

This is a fantastic quilt. I love that type of quilt with all the diffrent blocks. Blue is one of those colors Tanya realy likes too. I would fit in at our house. Thanks for linking up.

Sarah Craig said...

Oh, I just love this, Sharon! Gorgeous colors, and a great mix of block sizes - -whoop whoop!!!

hueisei said...

Beautiful quilt! Well done!