Sunday, January 13, 2013

Design Wall Monday - 1/14/13

 
PLAYING IN SCRAPS
 
 
I spent the weekend just playing in my scrap barrels and scrap basket.  People asked me about my "In My Own Words" quilt - how did I make the floating stars?  That quilt had fussy cut centers for the stars - this group I am making tiny 4-patch centers.  You need eight 2.5" squares for the background.  Can be all one fabric or use up those scraps.  I am using all the same lite fabric per individual block.  Center is also 2.5" no matter what you decide to put in the center.  And then eight of a variety (or all the same) of 1.5" squares - I laid them out on the squares where they will go.
 
 

 Next, use the technique of drawing across the diagonal and add those tiny squares to your 2.5" backgrounds - I do these so often and they are small, I just aim and shoot across. Trim the extra from the points and press out. 

 
 Then square those up.  Lay out your units as above and stitch up as a 9-patch.  Floating star points that you don't have to worry about losing in a seam!!  These become 6.5" unfinished blocks.  If you used 3.5" base squares with 2" star points - you will have a 9.5" unfinished block.  4.5" base squares with 2.5" star points will give you a 12.5" unfinished block.
 
 
I made more scrappy 9-patch blocks using those 2" squares -  making sure I have a light running from one corner to the opposite diagonal.  I have these pinned in groups of 10 blocks - makes it easier to keep count.  I have 60 of these now - need to draft that quilt out so I know how many more I need to make.
 

 
And 16-patches using 1.5" dark squares.  I don't have plans for these yet - just trying to keep that barrel down, it does have a tendancy to over-flow!
  
 
And as long as that scrap 2.5" barrel and basket of lites was out - I pulled my drawer of scrap blues and made some more Churn Dash blocks.  Yes, they are pinned into groups of 10 , also.  I have 40 of these now.  I am going to set these on point and have a ways to go with the number I need. 
 
So it was an enjoyable weekend of just playing in fabric - adding to those long term, leasure projects.  I am not in a rush to get them done, just enjoying the journey with them. ** linking up with Patchwork Times **  See what other's have on their design wall.
 
Sewingly Yours,
Sharon 

19 comments:

Mrs.Pickles said...

wow you sure were busy! lovely work!

Barbara said...

Oh interesting!

Joanne said...

Congratulations! It sure looks like you had a very productive weekend. I'd really like to get into the habit of doing what you are so I can control the stash. I've started, but still have a ways to go. Organizing your blocks in sets of 10 is a great idea. It sure will make sitting down to work on a scrap quilt so much easier and less daunting. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

lots of wonderful blocks there Sharon,well done.xx

Lesley said...

Your design wall is awesome. Great tutorial and I love the variety of blocks you are making. Your churn dash blocks are so pretty...love them in the blues!

Darlene D said...

You're using lots of scraps, that's great. I especially love the blue churn dash blocks!

Podunk Pretties said...

Now what I wanna know is does your scrap room look like a tornado came through? Mine would if I played with that many scraps in one day.

Debbie said...

I like your idea of no pressure, just play. You have chosen enough variety to keep you entertained in several ways. In my crtstal ball of future quilts, I see some lovely ones here. Great tutorial, too!

Pattilou said...

I love playing like you've done. I think we should play more often. Your blocks are full of color and interest.

Lucy said...

I love the star block. Thanks for the tutorial how to make it. Looks like fun and a way to use up tiny scraps.

Teresa Rawson said...

I love all your weekend progress on long term projects! Big projects in little chunks is such a good idea...you will have many beautiful, scrappy things done in the end! I love your piecing organization...

In stitches,
Teresa :o)

Chris said...

I cannot decide if I like the stars or churn dash better. Both are so cute.

BillieBee (billiemick) said...

You are so speedy. All I've managed is 3 more little pinwheels. Guess I should go to my sewing room and get off this **#&*&&^*& computer.

Sheila said...

Thank you for the floating star tutorial. I wondered how you make them. And the churn dash blocks.
I enjoy seeing pictures of your scrap projects, reading about their process and your long term plans for each. My scraps grow overnight. Especially the small pieces. Your post has given me several ideas and a much inspiration.

Denise :) said...

The churn dash blocks are my favorite--it's probably my favorite all-time quilting block. Or at in the top ten! Have fun in the playing!! :)

Eat Sleep Quilt said...

I likje what you've done, especially the floating stars - I'm a star nut!

Connie Kresin Campbell said...

Fun blocks Sharon, I think you were having a lot of fun with these :)

Lana said...

Those are beautiful! I love the fabrics! And the last picture is an awesome tut in itself!
Hope you are doing well!

KatieQ said...

I love the scrappy stars. You are definitely the master of tiny squares.