Thursday, January 17, 2013

A Lingering Season

I am already tired of winter!  The flu has just zapped me and doesn't seem to want to leave.  I am told the cough could last another 3 weeks - wonderful!

 
But I am catching some good stitching time inbetween my napping.  I am adding this to my NewFO - the Favorite Block Quilt Along (button on side bar).  The first block was a liberated log cabin.  I am using my buckets and totes of browns and various lites.  Not a color I have used a lot in the past couple of years so I have a lot!
  
 
And the second block - Road to Oklahoma.  I used some scrap 'Chocolat' and The Lowell Collection (adaptation from the New England Quilt Museum) - love this fabric and have about a FQ left of it!  Our quilt guild summer challange is our interpretation of 'Chocolate' - so this quilt will fit the bill.
 

 
 
I have had this layer cake for quite some time, waiting for the perfect pattern.  Well I asked Melissa if I could adjust her StarBurst (button on the side bar) pattern so I could get my cuts from this lovely.  
 
 
All my pretty cuts, stacked in order.  Oh, needed a nap after this only to find this......
 

 
Yes, Mr. Moe has moved from his little box to napping on my lovely Little Black Dress.  And he has scatteredd them several times, even dumping the whole thing on the floor twice.  So I have gone on to do the quilt - taking a lot of extra time to do the steps so I can link up those photos for that step.  It is taking me longer to do the blocks this way ------ but if I leave this sitting, they will be on the floor again.  I did smarten up and cover them with a towel when I need a nap break - but he is sleeping on top of the towel - he knows it is there! 
 

 
 
Another NewFO - for shame!  Yes, had to and the new button for Darlene's Mystery Quilt is now on the side bar.  The nice thing with this, you can stop when you like  - make it a runner, make it a lap quilt, or go for broke and make the BIG quilt.  I'm just shopping my scraps, left over charms, left over jelly roll strips - what ever - maybe it will make it to the BIG quilt.
  
 
 
 
This was my January Doll Quilt Swap - theme - SNOW.  These are snowflake stars that actually I had made a couple of years ago for another project - and they sat with all the scraps - unused.  They were waiting for a different project.  Oops, another nap is needed.....
 

 
And here is the quilt with it's little dolly.  There are little snowflake buttons in the center of the stars so I added one to her little apron.  This traveled to New Mexico - not sure they get snow.  But this certainly looks like our area - snow, cold, BRRRRRR.
 
Well off to idly cuddle with the furries for a bit - gather energy for a little more time with the StarBurst quilt.
 
CLOSING THOUGHT
 
"Winter, a lingering season, is a time to gather golden moments,
embark upon a sentimental journey, and enjoy every idle hour."
- John Boswell
 
Sewingly Yours,
Sharon
 
Linking up with Whoop Whoop with Sarah
and Marcia's Minutes for Me
and Sarah's Feline Friday


30 comments:

BillieBee (billiemick) said...

Oh Sharon, I'm so sorry you are feeling so bad. Three weeks is such a long time to cough.

You sure haven't slowed down on sewing.....grin....love the browns.

tubilinha tiacarminha said...

Olá!Para sua tosse eu recomendo alho abafado:Um dente de alho bem triturado e um copo de água bem quente,abafe e depois de morno vai tomando pequenos goles.É horrível mas cura a tosse e dá energia.Beijos.

Anonymous said...

gorgeous blocks Sharon and love how you make a doll to go with the blanket so cute,hope you get better soon my friend.xx

Lyndsey said...

I'm sorry you still aren't well. Unfortunately at this time of year flu and coughs seem to hang around for ever. However you have been so industrious in between your naps. I am so amazed by all you have done and they all are so beautiful. Take care of yourself, take plenty of naps and cuddles with the furries and enjoy a little sewing time.

Grit said...

Your snow quilt is fantastic.
Liebe Grüße Grit

Cheryll said...

Oh NOOO. Nothing worse than the dreaded winter cold/flu! Hope you don't take 3 weeks... but get back on your feet much sooner!

Catherine said...

All your quilts are great! I especially like the Chocolate beauty. Hope you are well soon.

Pauline G said...

Take care and rest! You get so much done even when not quite on top form. - I love the blue doll quilt

Linda at Roscoe's Ma said...

You seem to be more productive with the flu than I am in normal times. Don't push too hard. This bug requires lots of rest. It holds on for quite a while. Don't be discouraged. It will pass.

Dana Gaffney said...

It sounds like you're taking care of yourself, keep it up, this year's flu is supposed to be horrible. Maybe Moe just likes more colorful quilts like the gorgeous snowflake stars one.

krisgray said...

Hope you feel better soon. You have so many pretty projects! Your helper is so funny -lol.

Debbie said...

Feel better real soon. Yet you get so much done between naps! When I am sick, nothing gets sewn or cut.

Sheila said...

You always amaze me Sharon, you aren't feeling well and yet you can accomplish so much , all beautiful work too , glad you have joined the mystery quilt it should be fun. Take care and get some rest .hugs Sheila

Quilting Babcia said...

You are amazingly industrious considering you're down with the flu. Those must be power naps! Seriously, I hope you're feeling much better soon, and I absolutely love your doll quilt and the little dolly.

Karen said...

Hope you are feeling better really soon. I am not sure which block l like the best. Love them all. Take care.

Pattilou said...

Oh, I'm so sorry you've got this! Mine was 4 weeks on Monday and I still have a bit of a cough, but at least my energy is back! Hope yours doesn't last as long as mine did! Rest, water, and no sugar--I started the no sugar thing too late as mine hit right during the neighborhood goodie exchange.

Love your doll quilt and that cute dolly.

Myra @ Busy Hands Quilts said...

Love the dolly and her quilt!

Sarah said...

Naughty Mr. Moe! Funny how they just *know* where the good fabrics are. I especially like your chocolate block

Deb@asimplelifequilts said...

Hope that you are back to feeling normal soon... but I'd say you are getting lots of quilty things done anyway! Lol at the cat radar.

Neighbors About Town said...

Such gorgeous quilting! You really have the knack. Love the winter-time one with all the blue colors.

Mr. Moe cracks me up. Does he look at you as if it's your fault when he knocks stuff down? Kitty Baby does that.

Hope you feel better soon. The flu is just no fair!

Neighbors About Town Blog

Connie Kresin Campbell said...

Sharon I hope you get better soon and the cough doesn't last that long. You have some neat projects you are working on, what a fun wonky log cabin!

Eat Sleep Quilt said...

I'm sorry you aren't feeling well, I've had several friends with flu and sinus problems - get better soon! I really like the liberated log cabin, the colors go so well together, can't wait to see your next block!

Michele said...

I too am so ready for winter to be done but I'm afraid dear friend that we have a while to go yet. I'm so sorry that you are still under the weather but I'm glad to see that you are up to a little bit of sewing in between the naps. Feel better really soon.

Michele said...

I hope you feel better soon!! Your blocks are lovely as always :-)

Deb said...

Poor you...you have been unwell for a while now.

Oh I hadn't seen the Favorite Block Along. Best I go have a look at this ;)

Mary on Lake Pulaski said...

Get better soon Sharon. You sure have a lot of things going to keep you busy between naps. I see you won the HFWYG quilt along - congratulations!

Teresa in Music City said...

For some reason I'm feeling the need for a nap - and it's only 9am! LOL!!! So glad you are getting better Sharon and hope that cough goes away much sooner than expected. I hate winter and I'm counting down the days until it is gone once again. You've got such great projects going! And Moe knows exactly where the hot action is going on :*)

Andra Gayle said...

and I am the lucky recipient of that doll quilt! I LOVE IT!
Sorry I am taking so long on yours but it will come eventually!

Marcia - Crafty Sewing and Quilting said...

For being tired --- you sure do get alot of sewing and quilting done! Love the "browns" for your My Favorite Block Quilt Along!

Sarah Craig said...

Such a lot of pretty things, Sharon! But the best pic is Moe sleeping on your fabric. Isn't it funny how cats always pick something they look good against to lay on?

Whoop whoop for all your pretty accomplishments!