Monday, April 22, 2019

Diamonds are Every Ones' Best Friend


Today I get to share my diamonds, but first I would like to thank Carol for hosting another fabulous and inspirational Hop.  The first day just wow'ed us and if you missed it, please visit these folks:



I've been wanting to make a Texas Star and thought this hop would be the perfect opportunity to tackle that project.  I pulled a Jelly Roll - 'Botanical Blooms' by Connecting Threads and got right to work.


I was using a free pattern from the Quiltmaker website from back in 2009 that I had saved.  Well, let's just say you don't get an 8-pointed star from their directions - thus I am not passing the pattern on (and it no longer is on their site).  But a Radiant Star works just as well for me.


Since there was a change in plans, I had to make my own template for the setting triangles.  Not a hard thing to do - just lay some paper under your edge and draw the angle.  Then add your seam allowance.  I made them a bit larger because I wanted to 'float' the settings to prevent losing my star points.


Setting triangles cut and ready to stitch on.  Yes, there are 'Y' seams, but at this easy angle they were really no problem.


Just very simple straight line quilting and I used a couple of the raspberry color strips to make the binding.  I still want to make the Texas Star, but this turned out to be a nice project.  Now I have a lot of JR strips left over to make something else.

Be sure to visit the other host bloggers today:

32 comments:

sewyouquilt2 said...

Very pretty

Anna brown said...

Love the colors you picked very spring looking ...ty for sharing... happyness04431@yahoo.com

Elizabeth Coughlin said...

Your star turned out beautifully!

Marjorie's Busy Corner said...

Your piece is so pretty! Thanks for being here with us.

Libby in TN said...

No, a 60-degree diamond will never get you an 8-pointed star, no matter how hard you try. I love what you did, anyway!

Vicki in MN said...

Just beautiful.

Stitchin At Home said...

I love your piece!

Dione Gardner-Stephen said...

Great save! Your Radiant Star is beautiful. Thanks for the details of how you rescued the project, I'm sure we can all tuck away that knowledge for a rainy day.

Siouxzq64@gmail.com said...

Oh very pretty fabrics and love how it turned out.

Britt-Inger said...

Your star is so beautiful. Thanks for sharing

Carol Swift said...

This is a beautiful star, Sharon, and you rock with those Y seams...wow! Thanks for sharing this pretty diamond project and hopping with us. :O)

Barbara said...

That turned out so prettyl Wow...now I want to make one.

Quilter Kathy said...

Oooohhh it's fabulous! Very sparkly!

Angie said...

Very pretty! Enjoy your day! :-) :-) angielovesgary2 atgmail dotcom

Vasudha said...

It's a beautiful star in such lovely fabric. I love the look of 60 degree diamonds and triangles.

works4me said...

So pretty.

Daryl @ Patchouli Moon Studio said...

Gorgeous!! I love purple and green together too.

Maria said...

A lovely topper in great colours....

Karrin Hurd said...

Beautiful project, thanks for the inspiration!

Farm Quilter said...

So darn frustrating when patterns are so very wrong!! Love the star you came up with - way to get creative!!

Janice Holton said...

Love this Texas Star you came up with and the green and purple color way. That is a beautiful table topper!

Cynthia's Creating Ark said...

Well done. You would think they would have double checked the pattern before releasing it. It isn't a little mistake.

Danette said...

I love the colors of this! Beautiful!

Beth Strand said...

Lovely!

Melva said...

I had a similar project that was a pre-cut kit and it gave me fits! I thought I would never finish it... Nice job! MelvaLovesScraps(at)NolanQualityCustoms(dot)com

Needled Mom said...

That looks so pretty, Sharon. Love your colors too.

Carla said...

Very pretty diamonds. Your radiant star is perfection and I love the shape you made the quilt.

tink's mom said...

Love your color choices for this block they do make it sparkle. great choices all the way around, I love it.

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Nice table topper. Back when I was just learning how to quilt, I made a quilt with y seams, and didn't know that there were easier ways to make that block, or that it would be hard for a beginner quilter. My mother in law uses that quilt all the time.

Calicojoan said...

Oh, I love it. That is on my bucket list one of these days too. Sorry your pattern gave you fits. Some days all we can do is carry on. You did a marvelous job at it!

Sharon said...

Hi Sharon, Very nice project! I love the purple & green. Too bad about the first pattern you tried, but I like the one that you've used here.

Brenda @ Songbird Designs said...

This is SO pretty! I really love your colors! Thanks for sharing your process!