Thursday, February 18, 2016

Whooping it up with Scraps


Sarah over at Confessions of a Fabric Addict raised the question on dealing with the scrap pile dilemma and will be putting together several posts on the subject.  I see a lot around the web on busting the stash and scraps.  I am a scrap quilter and would be lost if I used them all up.  But I do have a very comfortable working system of storing and using them.

  
This little tub is the left over scraps from last year.  I have other NEW bags of scraps, so don't fret.  But in looking for browns and pinks for the RSC16, I came across these few strattas in this tub and that darn 'squirrel' interupted me.  Yes, that squirrel syndrome of when you are distracted from your course.
What can I do with these?  Besides, they are brown and pink.


I just took my 'strip tube' ruler and got the most cut from each stratta.  Yes, I tossed the left overs - it is ok to toss out those little items sometimes, especially when you aren't really sure what you will use them for or when you will use them.  A border added to bring it up to size for a 16" pillow.


I went to the yardage shelfing - yardage to me if usually a FQ, but I knew my pink FQ tote really didn't have enough for a pillow back.  This is a few pieces of a deco-fabric from a 'gifted' bag of scraps which was probably what was left of a re-cycled curtain.  It was just enough to make an envelope back for this pillow.  Now I need to get a form and a 'squirrel' project finished completely from scrap - all cleared out of storage.


I, also, found in this tub enough bits to make my flowers for my 'Let's Book It' project.  They need to be stitched now.  I even found something for the last border on this.


I keep snack barrels of pre-cut squares - all chopped down left overs from projects.  I am trying to tame my 1.5" barrel - yes, if there is a 1.5" square that can be cut from that last bit, I cut it.  January's RSC16 was blue with a touch of purple.  I did the blue 9-patchess and now the purples join them.  


My pink spool blocks made from the strip tote.  I've made way too many strip blocks, so this is another fun way to use those.  A 2" x 5" center strip and four 2" squares for the flip corners on the 2" x 5" black strips (left overs from sashings).

  
The purple spools - some of these came out of that tub and some from the strip tote.


And skinnier strips are being used up in these cute little 3" log cabin blocks.


The pinks to join them................


and the purples.  The blues are done, so a nice start to a quilt a little bit at a time.

And all the left overs from these projects - cut down into my barrels - not back into those totes.  And I work a lot out of those barrels.  In fact, I have the pinks and browns pulled from the 1.5" barrel to make some little 9-patches to join the others - I do have a plan for those little blocks.

I will be linking to

Sewingly Yours,
Sharon 

26 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Sharon,boy I love seeing what you get up too,lots of lovely projects on the go my friend xx

Michele said...

You do great work with all those tiny bits.

Kaelyn Angelfoot said...

What you call a scrap problem, I call an opportunity. ;) lovely blocks!

Cheryll said...

Gorgeous use of scraps in those blocks. I especially like the small log cabins. Xox

Dana Gaffney said...

I love this whole post, those tiny purple 9 patches are so pretty and the log cabins make me want to start one.

Sarah Craig said...

Sharon, you never have to worry about running out of scraps - I can keep you stocked from the plethora we have at church until probably the turn of the next century! Your blocks are lovely, as always, and a great inspiration. I'll have to do a special post on small blocks to use up bitty scraps, I see! Thanks for the shout-out, too - whoop whoop!!

Debbie said...

Simply fun and wonderful ideas here. Love your applique blocks and those spools are great!

Teresa in Music City said...

I don't know anyone who puts their scraps to better use than you do Sharon! Always a pleasure to see the beautiful projects you finish with. Love your Book It! Blocks!!!

Carla said...

I think I should give you the title of Scrap Queen. You're good.
Love your little blocks and your Book It Book It Blocks.

gayle said...

I always love to see what you're doing with scraps - you have the best projects going!
I'm a scrap quilter, and I really can't wrap my brain around this whole 'use up the scraps' concept. If I use up the scraps, what will I play with? I'd worry more about running out of scraps... 8)

Kat Scribner said...

I just LOVE those little flower blocks with the plaid borders. So darling.

Kate said...

You make it looks so easy. But I know you've set up your system so it works that way for you. Lots of beautiful scrappy blocks out of those bins and barrels.

KatieQ said...

I'm always amazed at how you can turn the tiniest bits of fabric into something wonderful. Thanks for sharing so many great scrappy projects.

Ivani said...

beautiful tiny blocks.

Nell's Quilts said...

Such great strategy and so many great projects all from a tote of strips. Wow! Way to go girl!

Heidi said...

So organized! I love keeping lots of scraps nearby too and often cut and move them to like-sized 'collections'. Those little Log Cabins are adorable..

Bonnie said...

Wow your totes and bins sure pop out some great blocks.

PaulaB quilts said...

Love your use of black in the spools and the log cabins.

Cathy said...

I might have to try some of those little log cabins. They sure are cute.

Dasha said...

So many fun scrappy projects you have going there. Love the little log cabins and the 9 patches too. What a treat to find a use for the strips in the pillow.

Ellen said...

So much going on in your sewing room and such fantastic results. It is absolutely amazing what can be done with small scraps. Imagine.. some quilters throw all of those bits away. I do think organization is key and I really need to work on that.

Jennie in GA said...

Lovely projects. And interesting system of using your scraps!

Vesuviusmama said...

My scrappy soul mate!!!

Mari said...

Nice save! And I can't throw out a 1-1/2 inch square either. Lots to be made from those tiny pieces!

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

You have some great scrap projects in the works. I love those little log cabin blocks. Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

Marsha Cooper said...

Log cabin blocks that are only 3 inches when done? wow!
I've not done log cabins in some time, but have been itching to do more.