Thursday, December 15, 2016

Whooping Up Two Finishes


I am so happy to say that the poor little Gail Pan block (Splendid Sampler) has finally been completed.  This was my last 'Let's Book It' project and the wee thing kept getting pushed to the back of the table for far too long.  I was going to make a scrappy patch border, but when I pulled my scrap binding drawer to look for a possible binding to use - well those scrap bindings went into the border as well as binding.  A Harbinger of Spring!  It is miserably cold here, a little bit of happy for the wall.


And the BIG finish - Lorna of Sew Fresh Quilts' Mod Bear Paw pattern has come to life.  I just love this pattern and after the Holidays plan to make another.  The only fabric I bought for this was the gray (which I actually bought for something else and didn't like it for that) - everything else came off the shelf or out of the scrap bins.  Even the extra wide backing was something on the shelf for a very long time.  My long armer (thanks Barb) did a tight, close meander in a honey brown - simple so the pattern could do the 'speaking'.  BEAR will be going to my daughter which is good because I've had a lot of requests that this one appear in a few area shows.

I just have to finish up the last of the quilting and then machine bind my granddaughter's quilt and my list for the year is complete.  WHOOPING it up with Sarah today.

Sewlingly Yours,
Sharon

23 comments:

sewyouquilt2 said...

love your finishes. especially the bear. you are such a prolific quilter.

Karen said...

The paw print border really adds to the quilt. Very pretty.
Adorable little wallhanging. It is really cold here too. I am ready for spring.

Lesley said...

Beautiful finishes! Your bear quilt is stunning! Your daughter is going to be one happy gal! Love that bear paw border, and the quilting is perfect for it! We are also in a cold snap today...don't want to leave the house but have an afternon appointment. Oh well, I hear we're getting balmy temperatures on Sunday! Have a great weekend!

Debbie said...

Great bears on the prowl! You already know how great this one finished up. I have a feeling it will travel more than your daughter would like:) Love that you found all those fabrics in the stash...very good.
The little Spring quilt is great too....glad you got it finished.

Ariane said...

Both finished quilts are beautiful! But my favourite is the Mod bear paw. It's just gorgeous!!

Sarah said...

Love that rainbow striped border with your stitchery. Looks fantastic!! Bear is just stunning!!

Dana Gaffney said...

Those borders really make that Splendid Sampler pop and small enough that they didn't make you crazy hopefully :).
The bear is perfect, of course.

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

Great finishes, Sharon!

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Both are great. I'm trying to work on my Bear Paw blocks for 2 baby quilts, but, my elbow injury is really slowing me down (cutting fabric and pinning it is uncomfortable).

Barbara said...

Both quilts are beautiful. Love the striped border for your Gail Pan block.

Needled Mom said...

WOW...the bear quilt turned out beautifully. I really love the scrappy look of it.

QuiltShopGal said...

Wonderful finishes. Let the fireworks go as they are all worthy of celebrating. I find your Mod Bear Paw filled with #CreativeGoodness. I definitely have that on my bucket list.

QuiltShopGal
www.quiltshopgal.com

BillieBee (billiemick) said...

Your bear claw quilt is magnificent!

Kaelyn Angelfoot said...

That bear quilt is stunning!

tink's mom said...

Congrats on meeting your goals for the year. The Bear quilt is wonderful. The quilting choice is really great. Love the Gail Pan piece, so glad its a finished piece for you.

gayle said...

Both are beautiful, but that bear! Stunning!

Anonymous said...

Hi Sharon wow your bear foot quilt is amazing ,i love it,i saw a blue version somewhere in blogland recently,its a beautiful pattern and your block looks fantastic too my friend xx

Sarah Craig said...

Well, I'm just repeating everyone else but the bear is AWESOME!!! I love that - really want to make one for myself!! Whoop whoop for you!!!

Lorna McMahon said...

Your Bear Paw is simply stunning! I love that you worked out how to add the Bear Print borders and the extra dark border. This is such a beauty. I am amazed that you made it all from stash and scraps! Well done!

Quilter Kathy said...

Congratulations on two fabulous finishes! Great job!

Kate said...

Congrats on the two finishes. The bear quilt is just spectacular! I can see why they want you to put it some of the shows. Stay warm, that's been hard to do here this weekend. Hopefully you are on tap for warmer temps next week.

Sheila said...

Beautiful Quilt! LOVE your WALL HANGING!

Cheree @ The Morning Latte said...

Turned out beautifully! Great job!