Wednesday, January 24, 2024

White Rabbit Hop

 


I would like to thank CAROL for hosting this month's HOP.  First hop of the year and so appropriate that it is rabbits and white.  We have been very 'white' for many days here in the Nor'East - snow, cold, winds, and ice. Hey, that's our kind of weather for January here.  SO..... let's hop right to it!

The Challenge was either rabbit, white rabbit, or white quilt - be creative.


I actually have a white rabbit.  Well, she isn't quite so white these days.  She has to be at least 50 yrs. old (0h, shouldn't give a gal's age away).  Many, many years ago I made rabbits, folk dolls, and primative kitties and bears.  I've held on to this gal all this time.  I think I should give her a real good bath and spuce up.  The velvet dress and lace have faired well, but maybe she deserves something new.

But the white quilt is going to be an honor to my Mamma who at 95, it may  be her last quilt.


My Mom's love is hand applique' and this is the book/pattern she used.


This is the full quilt.  Now my Mom pulled this old wicker case out with the book, all the fabrics and the center design done.  How long ago did she start it?   Now she had a major stroke 5 yrs. ago, so knew she could not do all the applique' still to go, but wanted to finish this.  

Now our sewing gals made a number of suggestions - mainly to just add 2 or 3 borders and be done.  BUT that would make it square - not my Mom.  AND it would make it smaller - not my Mom.


This quilt is so big I couldn't get it in a space to hang or get full shot.  She did make the applique' header, but knew she couldn't do justice to the rest.



Now my Mom has always hand quilted, but I am amazed she even finished the applique' with one hand.  One of our guild member's quilted this for her (has the super size frame) and I hope you can see the quilting as she did a beautiful job on this monster.  Thank you Betsy for coming and sitting with Mom, discussing this quilt and how you planned to work on it to make her happy - such care is greatly appreciated.

 


Of course, the back had to be white even though I got a pretty pink on white voile for it.  Again - not my Mom!  And yes, she always labels!

So folks, don't give up - keep stitchin'!



Be sure to visit my Bunny Buds today:

MooseStashQuilting
Domestic Felicity
Pattern Princess
Elizabeth Coughlin Designs
Highroad Quilter
Kathy's Kwilts and More

Sewingly Yours,

Sharon

21 comments:

Danice G said...

The rabbit is really cute. She looks good in her red dress. The quilt for your mother is gorgeous. That is a nice pattern too.

Elizabeth Coughlin said...

Your rabbit still looks great, and that quilt is beautiful!

Gretchen Weaver said...

Your mother's quilt is beautiful, a real treasure. It would be nice if it could be hung in her home for everyone to view.

lynn said...

It's a beautiful quilt, made more precious by the loving care you and friends have given to it by giving of yourselves. You are indeed a blessing Thank you. And the lady in the velvet dress, is still pretty special. I think of her being something like me, a bit worn perhaps, but still here putting one foot in front of the other.

Kate said...

Very pretty! So glad your mom got the opportunity to see this one finished.

Calicojoan said...

Oh my goodness, your mom's quilt is gorgeous and what a beautiful story it carries. Quilters step up for each other when needed. They really are the best. This quilt is a treasure! I love your bunny. They are their little country friends were my life prior to quilting as well. :-) Oh the memories!

Nikki said...

Gorgeous quilt!!!!

Barbara said...

Absolutely gorgeous! And I like your white bunny rabbit too.

Carol Swift said...

Oh, my, this is gorgeous and such a treasure. From the appliqued flowers to the quilting, this is amazing! Finishing it with your mom's help and your quilting group's help, adds so much to the sentimental value of this. That bunny from years ago reminds me of one I used to have. I wish I had kept it like you did. Thank you for this sweet White Rabbit post this morning, Sharon. xo

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Good for your Mom for making such an amazing quilt. Even someone a whole lot younger would be intimidated I'm sure.

Karrin Hurd said...

Gorgeous quilt! What a wonderful story, thanks so much for sharing!

Nancy J said...

Of every post in this blog hop, yours will be the winner, your Mum, her quilt, the story that goes with it all, and the finish. filled with love, hope, and family and friends.Truly beautiful all through.

Moira said...

Your mom did a wonderful job on the quilt!

Joansy said...

Your post brought tears to my eyes. I can just see your mom working on that quilt, I can't even think about it without tearing up. What a precious treasure that quilt is! Thank you so much for sharing your story, both the quilt and the story are beautiful.

Quilting Gail said...

Your mom is amazing!!! What an inspiration!!
The quilt is lovely ... and the quilting is perfect for it!

Victoria Pietz said...

What a beautiful and inspiring story. It's amazing what we can do when we put our minds to it. Love the bunnies at the end too. Thank you for sharing.

Inflorescencedesigns said...

Your mother's quilt is beautiful.

MissPat said...

What a treasure. So glad it was finished and your Mom gets to enjoy it. Thanks for sharing.
Pat

Joy from Days Filled With Joy said...

Your mom's quilt is just stunning!!! A family heirloom for sure! xx

Lyndsey said...

The rabbit is beautiful and the quilt is amazing. Go pleased that it is finished for your mom to enjoy. This is what makes quilting and the quilting community so special.

tink's mom said...

I have a wonderful bunny like that but she is only about 30. Mysister got her for me at a craft shop. She's not as white as she once was but I still smile at her everyday as we age together.
Your mom's quilt and the story behind it is wonderful. Thanks so much for sharing it with us.