Monday, July 17, 2023

Picnic Party

 



First I would like to thank CAROL for graciously being our host for this Summer Time Hop.  July is really Picnic Time and I have seen a huge useage of our community parks by families for such a venue.


A fun large block quilt using colorful 'food' print fabrics seems to fit the bill for a picnic quilt.  Some I Spy prints would be fun for little ones to do some searching while enjoying lunch.


Yes my quilt is upside down, but I see hearts and not baskets.  The pattern is from this book.  Some great scrap eaters or use up that FQ Bundle - these patterns work up really quickly.


Since it has been SOOOOOOO hot for so many, I thought I would share my NECK COOLER.    I've used this tutorial NECK COOLER
 , but there are a lot of U-Tubes for these so I would search for those.  The water obsorbing poly beads I used are Sodium Polyacrylate Crystals - found at any garden center, but there are other forms.  

I throw a few of these in a cooler and take to events or when I am vending to use for myself and to even share.  Great for gardening or mowing the lawn as well.  AND they are pet safe, so share one with your loveable pooch while walking in this heat. 

Someone asked me how long these will last with re-use and the one on the right I have had for 4 years - starting to not 'puff' as much, but still holds the cold for several hours.  Think it's time to start using the other one and recycle the crystals in the old one into the flower bed.


And what picnic is not complete without ants.    You may have to look closer at these little critters - the size of the head of a pin.  But every morning there is a cluster of thousands (looks like an inflated basket ball) and they travel from one end of the side walk to the other, gobbling up the snails and snail slime (or what ever else is there). 

Be sure to visit today guests:


Sewingly Yours,
Sharon

18 comments:

Elizabeth Coughlin said...

Lovely quilt!

thatfabricfeeling.wordpress.com said...

Clever projects but the ants, I'll do without thanks. I don't see picnic baskets in that design at all...hearts all the way. I love your food themed fabric and it's so colorful, and foodie. Well done! Thanks for sharing.

Calicojoan said...

Oh my gosh...I love this quilt and I'm with you on the orientation of the quilt. I don't really see the basket thing on the book at all.

Linda said...

What a beautiful quilt! I see hearts too, that's how I would orient it also. How cool you made it with food fabrics. :D Haha on the ants - I forgot about them. Yes they are always at the picnic!

Carol said...

That's a lovely quilt! Using food fabric is sensible for a picnic. I don't see baskets either but the pattern is neat, nonetheless. Some of our quilt group make those neck coolers several years ago and swear by them. Thanks for sharing!

LJ said...

So cute. Your picnic quilt is perfect with those food fabrics. I agree that I see hearts, too, but does it matter? Kids will love looking for special items. Ants...picnics and ants go together whether we like them or not.

Jeanna said...

I love the fabrics in your quilt. I see hearts as well and not baskets, even in the quilt on the cover. Neck coolers are an excellent idea for picnics, too. Great job, Sharon!

Karrin Hurd said...

Gorgeous quilt. I see hearts too. I've never heard of a neck cooler, but could certainly use one in the heat we are having lately. It has been over 100 for days on end. Thanks so much for sharing!

Carol Swift said...

This is really a beautiful quilt, Sharon! I need to get that book. I'm not one for tiny pieces in a quilt, so this is right up my alley. We definitely need those neck coolers around here, with temps up to 117 degrees it's hot! I hate ants at my picnics, even tiny ones. Thanks for joining our Picnic Party!

Charlene McCain said...

What baskets??? I had to really look hard to see them, because all I saw were cute hearts! Great quilt, and your fabric choices are spot on! I could definitely use a neck cooler here! It's going to be a lovely 109 today.

Karen's Korner said...

The perfect fabrics for a picnic quilt. Stay cool.

Susan said...

I love that you included ants! Definitely part of a picnic. That is a great quilt design, and I like seeing hearts rather than baskets, too. What super fabrics and definitely a food theme fits. The neck cooler would be a necessity for a picnic most places today. Thanks for sharing this quilt and the book where it is. ~CQ4Fun on today's blog hop.

Sandie @ crazy'boutquilts said...

I see hearts your way and baskets the other. :-) Very cool quilt! I love the neck cooler idea when it is so hot! TFS

Quilting Gail said...

I saw hearts as well and thought the pic was upside down on the book!!! LOL!!! Lovely picnic quilt!

Robin said...

I love these neck coolers. I bought 2 at a local fair but after a while the beads escaped. Thanks for directions to make them. I recommend very short stitches where beads are. This really works to cool the fluid in your spinal cord and more important the brain. I make my husband where one when he cuts the grass especially in summer (we live in FL). Always keep extras in a cooler or freezer. Thanks for sharing this essential part of a hot summer.

Danice G said...

Your quilt is really nice and colorful. Thank you for the neck cooler info as well.

Lyndsey said...

I love your quilt, such pretty colours and the neck coolers sounds very useful. I shall try making one for myself. Thanks for sharing.

Joy from Days Filled With Joy said...

Your quilt is just gorgeous! Love how you used the food prints :) xx