Thursday, May 11, 2017

Scrap Wednesday .... & Thursday


After all that secret sewing and then the traveling events, my machine was so happy to see me for some down right chain piecing scrappy play that I think it cried!!  Twenty of the plaid blocks got made.  I'm not even counting other than to sew 10 pin together, sew another 10 if I feel like it and pin the group.  Into the bucket they go.  I'm sure when the growing piles of 10 fill that bucket, I will have enough.


Then I tackled the geese for the Temecula project.   Again I work groups of 10 and pin together.  Twenty dark geese and twenty light geese off into their respective container with the 'flock'.  They out grew their container, so I did a count (see that little slip - 300).  They are in a larger tote now because I need a LOT more.


Then on to the Puss in the Corner blocks - an attempt to tame the 1.5" squares and skinny strips of whites.  Again those groupings of 10 to join the rest in that container.

So 80 blocks for a day's work.  Love working tiny, but you have to make a lot of blocks!!


Thursday I switched gears (and made more coffee to settle myself) - large blocks!  The next Solstice block.  I changed to working this in strips rather than all those HSTs.  I love HSTs, but this was more practical.  I'm really wanting this one to wrap up soon.  Winter's over - well it is suppose to be, but we had snow Sunday and Monday.


When I pulled the Solstice work tote, this bag of gifted fabrics scooted off the shelf.  This is Pam Buda's "Antique Cotton" line for Marcus fabrics.  I saved that free pattern that came in one of those magazine subscription flyers.  A QOV pattern and our quild is making quilts for the Wounded Warriors winter sports day at Ski Windham in December.  I plan to donate three quilts - one is done.  These will work wonderfully with this pattern.



I hope to have half of the blocks done before the weekend with the rest kitted up to work as a leader ender project.  The weekend I want free to concentrate on some neglected handwork (and neglected housework).

Sewingly Yours,
Sharon

10 comments:

Nancy J said...

Housework is fine if neglected, after all, it will wait in the wings. Lovely blocks, strips and pieces, what a fab idea to do 10 and clip together, that way you can see all the progress as the piles get taller.

Lesley said...

Oh my! What fun you have been having. Don't you just love sew days like these!

Dana Gaffney said...

It's nice to see your reunion with your machine was so productive, I like that star quilt a lot.

Gretchen Weaver said...

I love the way you made the Solstice Challenge blocks. I'm going to change mine that way too! I'm tired of the HST's! Enjoy your sewing time, I'm sure your machine missed you too.

Sherry said...

Our guild did a QOV program a year ago. . . and there was one quilt top that did not get finished. If you would like it for your program please let me know.

I do not know the size of the top. . . I just know that I have so many of my own projects to get done that it will be in the UFO pile for a while. . . if there is someone that would like to finish it up and get it to a soldier sooner than I could I am happy to donate it.

Sarah said...

Ahh...you got the snow that was promised to us. I know it's May and all but I would have enjoyed just one more snow. Your solstice block must have seemed huge after all those smaller blocks. Have you decided on a flying geese layout yet? Or how many blocks you'll need?

Mrs.Pickles said...

lots of lovely work. You are an inspiration!

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

You HAVE been busy! When my oldest son graduated college, it snowed that day (May 4th) in Missouri. That was weird, too.

Lyndsey said...

It's lovely to see all those finished blocks, great work. Thankfully here in London the temperature has gone up a lot. We were promised snow last week but none materialised thank goodness.

Kate said...

Lots of fun scrappy projects going on this week. Hopefully you've gotten in some good stitching time this week.