Friday, October 2, 2015

House Block Tutorial


Materials:
  Background - two 4.5" squares, two 1.5" x 6.5" strips
  Roof - one 4.5" x 8.5" rectangle
  9-Patch - five dark 2.5" squares, four light or contrasting 2.5" squares


Draw a line from corner to corner on your background 4.5" squares - using the 'flip-n-sew' method add corners to the roof - large flying geese unit.  I save the bonus triangles for HSTs.

Using the  2.5" squares, sew your 9-patch together.  Add the background strips to the sides of the 9-patch and then attach the roof.


A very quick block that uses up those scraps.  Unfinished size - 8.5" x 10.5"
You could easily use any 6.5" unfinished block as your house base.  Don't like an odd size block - add a 1.5" x 10.5" strip to either side and make it a square.

22 comments:

margaret said...

thanks I have added this block to my blocks to make notebook

KaHolly said...

Thanks! Quick, easy, and very cute!

Debbie said...

Thanks! Will give this one a try soon. Pinned with love!

Dana Gaffney said...

Thanks for this, I've been admiring those house blocks since the first one.

scraphappy said...

What a fun pattern. I think we all have extra nine patches lurking around who would be happy to be part of a house block.

Val's Quilting Studio said...

I bookmarked this page! Thanks Sharon for sharing.

Barb H said...

Thanks, Sharon. I have a stack of 6 or 8 inch 9-patch blocks on my shelf and now I know what to do with them. Every house should have a house quilt, right?

Joanna said...

Very clear. Thank you.

Lara B. said...

Sharon this is a cute and versatile block - I love house blocks!

Nell's Quilts said...

What a great way to use up nine patches.

Mrs.Pickles said...

Very cute thanks for the tute

Deb A said...

Great tutorial! I see houses in my future for a quick very scrappy quilt. Now to get a day to just sew.

LA Paylor said...

hi, visiting from RSC
LeeAnna

PaulaB quilts said...

Love the houses. Thank you for the tute referral, which I got and copied to keep.

BillieBee (billiemick) said...

I'm sure liking your neighborhood. Save me a house next to yours!

Sheila said...

Oh my. You know how I like house blocks! Thank you for posting a tutorial : )

Kate said...

Very fun blocks. Thanks for sharing.

Cathy said...

Thanks! That would be a fun way to use scraps.

Gretchen Weaver said...

This is really cute and makes a very simple house. I've always want to try a house block, but really didn't want to make a bunch of little pieces. I think I can handle this. Thanks. Gretchen

Connie Kresin Campbell said...

Great tutorial and perfect for scraps Sharon!

Jeanna said...

You make it easy for us, thanks!

France Nadeau ❅ inspiration imagination creation said...

I've never seen the like before. I love them!
Pinned