Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Progress With Those Baby Steps


All those bindings got done and my two swaps were mailed and received - so I can show them now. The third I will share for my Handmade Christmas post.


This month's theme for the Monthly Doll Quilt Swap Group was 'Keen on Green' and my partner and I agreed to follow the theme.  Lots of green scraps in a rail fence setting with a few scattered corners.  With this theme I thought of our lush clover fields and the little flowerettes sprinkled thru.  And the little white sulpher butterflies that love those fields.  Of course, the little dolly to go with the quilt, too.


This was for our little swap group - swap theme was a mini for Spring.  I like to do birdhouses and this style is the 'Empire' which I thought represented where I live - 'The Empire State'.  Yes, thinking of Spring reminds me of flowers, too (as well as getting all our bird houses cleaned and ready) - so thought this cute floral added to the look.  I sent some extras along with it.


Our Quilt Guild had a demonstration on the snap bag and kits were given out for us to practice with.  We were to make one with our "ugly FQs in a bag" to make another one.  Look!  I'm going to sew with a Batik!


The smaller snap bag was the kit and the ugly was with the larger instructions.  I boxed the corners on that one.  These directions were modified from the original (and much easier) by another guild's member and shared with us.  These are fun little bags and can be stuffed with goodies for a gift for a quilty friend.


These blocks were made and sent to Kevin the Quilter for the QOV block drive.  Such a quick project and for a very worthy cause.  If you haven't made yours yet, YES, they only take an hour of your time for 5 blocks.  Actually, I think it took 1/2 an hour.


And I am slowly working on those tiny Hexie Flowers for my Let's Book It project.  I actually have 8 of the 12 flowers done and think I need to start browsing my stash for the background,sashing, and cornerstones. 

Yes, I even have been ticking off things on that other 'to-do' list.  You know, the one that gets lost, hidden, stuff dumped on it.  Laundry, dust, mop, vac, put the Christmas stuff away (yes mine is still out), etc..........  We are in another wintry mix of weather, so maybe more of this list will get done.

Hope you are getting some sewing done - there is progress in baby steps.

Sewingly Yours,
Sharon 

14 comments:

Sheila said...

You have been busy with several lovelies. Thank you for the QOV blocks reminder. I must get those made and sent to Kevin.
Sorry to see that you have more bad weather coming your way :(

sewyouquilt2 said...

love the mini quilts and the bags.
You have been a busy girl.

Lesley said...

All your projects are wonderful! Your doll quilts are so sweet, especially with the little dolly! Your hexies are definitely growing!

Dana Gaffney said...

Wow, you're getting a lot done, it must feel good.

Sheila said...

You have been very busy , love the doll quilt and doll and your hexies are coming along nicely . Hope the storm wasn't too bad for you , we are getting rain and high winds.

Joanne said...

Wow, you've been busy. All of the creations looks great! I have made a bunch of those snap bags and they sure do make great little gifts. I had a few made up for when I needed a quick gift, but that reserve has been depleted. Your post reminded me that I need to make a few more. :-)

Sarah Craig said...

My Christmas stuff is still out, too - well, at least it's tucked away in one room, but not back in the attic yet...

Joanna said...

I haven't been getting much done, although I have some half/blocks started. Your little dollies are a treasure.

BillieBee (billiemick) said...

So much accomplished again. Of course, you know I'm loving your hexies.....:)

Teresa Rawson said...

Congrats on your baby steps...it feels so good to finish something and say "check," doesn't it? Thanks for reminding us how much we can get done if we make a little progress every day!

Connie Kresin Campbell said...

Great projects Sharon and how did you like working with batiks??

Kevin the Quilter said...

You are a very talented quilter! Beautiful projects you are working on! Thanks so much for the blocks! Received them yesterday! Can't wait to incorporate them into a QOV!

KatieQ said...

The snap bags look like fun. A good use for old metal measuring tapes. I guess you could make a lot of bags from one tape.

Kate said...

Love the doll quilt, it turned out wonderfully. So did your hexies.