Thursday, March 27, 2014

Let's Book It - March Link Up


I know there are a few more days left in the month, but there are so many link ups at the end of the month, I decided to put this up a little early.  I hope you found time to dust off one of those books or patterns or magazines and get inspired.



This was my book for inspiration.  There are so many nice pieces in this that I would love to do - will be revisiting this one for sure.


This was the piece that I chose.  Small which I love to work with, plus I wanted to challenge myself with those hexies.


And this is the finished doll quilt- (14.5" x 17.5").  It is hard to see, but I hand quilted an echo stitch in black thread around each flower and around the center.  And I added a hanging sleeve so it can be used as a mini wallhanging.  I did change the pattern ever so slightly as my hexies were a tad smaller than the original, and used a whole cloth center rather that putting those tiny flowers on a square and then sewing the squares together.  Since these were smaller, I used a smaller border than the original - to balance it better.  AND best of all - the entire piece right to binding and batt and backing - all scraps!!

WeddingRingCHARM.jpg

This month's barn pin charm is the 'Wedding Ring"

Now it is time to link up your project:

22 comments:

Karen said...

This quilt is awesome. I love this book. I have never made hexies. Maybe one day I will. I hope this is one quilt you are keeping.

Deb A said...

Love your little quilt! I got the top of mine done.... and it is next in line for hand quilting. Thanks for the inspiration to pull out a book and actually make something from it! I've got next month's all picked out with some fabric from the stash already. Great idea.

Teresa in Music City said...

What a GREAT little quilt Sharon!!! I think your way of applying the hexies to whole cloth was a better choice anyway :) Your partner will love it! I haven't seen this month's pin before - how cute!!!! Gotta get my post done so I can link up. Crossing all my fingers and toes :*)

Jeanne said...

Oh, I like this challenge! I'm going to try to do something for next month.
Jeanne :)

Sheila said...

It is just beautiful Sharon , I love hexies and I love minis , what a great combination !

JoAnne said...

Nice project! I have the same book and still haven't made anything from it. Thanks for the inspiration!

Lesley said...

Your doll quilt is precious...you definitely were up to the challenge. Well done!

Christine M said...

Your little quilt is just lovely Sharon.

Denise :) said...

I adore your little hexagon doll quilt, Sharon -- it's just darling!! :)

Anonymous said...

Wow Sharon that is awesome ,I love it and I am going off to check on the others,well done my friend.xx

Kate said...

I linked up this morning, but didn't realize until about half way through my work day that I hadn't left a comment!

Love your hexie project. Congrats on the finish too.

Dasha said...

Pretty little quilt Sharon. Great finish.

Michele said...

That IS a lot of little pieces. Nicely done.

Val's Quilting Studio said...

I love the warmth and comfort of the civil war colors...your hexi project is perfect!!

Needled Mom said...

That looks fabulous. I have always loved hexie quilts.

quilter000 said...

Sharon love that book and I have several I want to make from it for it.they all look so fun. Your hexes are great!!!Hugs Patty

Dana Gaffney said...

The hexie flowers are so cute and of course you made them smaller :)
I like having the link up a little early, this way it's a separate blog post and not lumped in with my other stuff.

Cheryll said...

Gorgeous tiny mini mini's...with wonderful tiny stitches! Well done! :)

SewCalGal said...

Your Book It Challenge is such fun. I'm inspired by the entire challenge and love all the entries.

SewCalGal
www.sewcalgal.blogspot.com

Gmama Jane said...

Tell me how to get one of these barn quilt charm pins??? I love them.
Gmama Jane

BTW, I haven't done any cross stitching in years. I need to dust off all my CS pattern books and incorporate something into a quilt. I loved CS way back when.
Blessings
Gmama Jane

Lynn - JnL4God said...

I love your little quilt! Yay!

Vickie said...

Great projects Sharon, love the little hexi quilt a lot!