Thursday, December 16, 2010

Silent Night



 
 Silent Night was written in 1818, by an Austrian priest Joseph Mohr. He was told the day before Christmas that the church organ was broken and would not be prepared in time for Christmas Eve. He was saddened by this and could not think of Christmas without music, so he wanted to write a carol that could be sung by choir to guitar music. He sat down and wrote three stanzas. Later that night the people in the little Austrian Church sang "Stille Nacht" for the first time.
The carol


We have had a number of days with very little sun and minor snow has drifted down upon us.  I haven't done a lot of sewing these few days.  Monday and Tuesday were our sewing class day's x-mas parties.



 Tuesday night was the Guild party - 158 pillowcases were turned in for the "Million Pillowcase Project".  I thought that was outstanding for a 46 member guild. They will be going to a local Christian's Charity for distribution.
Wednesday I spent most of the day helping my Mom wrap gifts and just be with her as she was feeling a bit down as this is the first holiday without Dad.  A dear friend of mine stopped by to pick up some items I had done for her for X-mas presents and we had a nice visit - tea, slices from a zucchini bread she brought, and holiday music while we caught up on some things.




I have to just put the binding on my new shop sign. The sun has poked it's head out and making the new fallen snow glisten.


 I thought I would post some of my blue and white quilts - gosh I have a lot of blue.

1 comment:

StitchinByTheLake said...

How interesting to read that about Silent Night. I know you get lots of snow but we get very little and I'm wishing for just a wee bit. blessings, marlene