Monday, February 19, 2024

It Moose Be Love

 


I hope you are enjoying a very different Hop this month.  The challenge was hearts, or moose , or combo of both.  Thank you JOAN for such a fun and inspirational new Hop.


No hearts on my post, except for the love of my Dad and eldest brother who we've sadly lost too soon.  I made this quilt in their memory for the GUY HOP.  They had an experience with a moose on a hunting trip - goosed the moose with the car and the car paid for it.



I had the honor (gosh back in 2016) of being a guest on the Henry Glass fabric site for their 'Desire to Inspire' project.  They sent me the greatest fabrica.  It really represented our love of the Adirondack Mountains and we camped/fished there often.



And it had the best Salvedge that I used to make some zip pouches.  I thought I would revisit my salvedge jar for a new project for this hop with a quick tutorial.



I pulled the jar and my tote of strings.  You need two 1.5" by size - I'm planning a 12.5' piece - so a bit longer for wiggle room.


 I used a 14" square of backing and 13.5" square of batting.  To help keep your strips running straight, mark a line every 2".



I found a moose on a free clip art site, some fuseable, and piece of black.  Follow the directions of the fuseable you are using - I use Steam A Seam 2.

 


I put my machine's portable table on to help keep the piece flat while sewing.  You start with the scrap strip, just lay your choice of salvedge on edge (1/8 or 1/4" overlap). and with walking foot stitch close to edge.  Just keep sewing your salvedge strips across the batt/backing sandwich until you get to the end and stitch the second scrap strip to end your piece.

**I always cut my salvedge off with at least 1/2" to 1" fabric print on for using with these types of projects**














Then square up your piece - all quilted for you.  That simple.


Cut out your silouhette and fuse in place.  You can stitch around the edges, but this piece is small and will not get the wear or washing a quilt would.  Use hanging sleeve or corner hangers, binding, and done.  And easy afternoon project.


Be sure to visit todays hosts:

A Quiltery-For the Love of Geese

Quilting Gail

Quilted Delights

Words & Stitches

VroomansQuilts

Kathy’s Kwilts and More

Sewingly Yours,
Sharon

22 comments:

Elizabeth Coughlin said...

Your moose mini is really cute!

Carol said...

Thanks for sharing those quilts and the little moose project! Love the idea of quilt as you go for that little thing.

Calicojoan said...

Well you know I'm a sucker for a moose, and your moose projects just melted my heart! I have a huge pile of salvedges that I've saved and I really need to do something with them. Thanks for the inspiration!

Danette said...

Your moose looks great on those selvedges!

Karrin Hurd said...

Love the moose projects, all of them! Thanks so much for sharing!

Inflorescencedesigns said...

The moose quilt is fantastic. My maiden name is Mushaben and a lot of people would pronounce it moose-haben (not correct) but because of it my dad got the nickname moose and my parents collect all thing moose. Thanks for sharing!

Carol Swift said...

Your moose quilt is so pretty, but sad to hear that the car lost the battle with one. Those things are so big! My selvedges go in the trash, but you have me rethinking that. Love the bags! Thanks for sharing, Sharon!

For the love of geese said...

Your projects made me smile, very creative. The closest thing we have to a moose vs car are big deer. Really no comparison.

Victoria Pietz said...

I always wondered what could be made using the salvages. I don't save mine. Guess I will now. Thank you so much for sharing this lovely project. And what a beautiful memory piece.

Quilting Gail said...

Great use of selvages and I love that the moose is a fond memory of dear ones! Thanks for the tutorial!

Lyndsey said...

A stunning little moose quilt. I keep forgetting to save the selvedges. Some of them are just so cute.

Kathleen said...

It definitely is moose love on your blog today! I love the moose silhouette on the selvedges - so perfect and it looks like you have a bit of sky/mountains/grass going in it too!

LJ said...

Fabulous. I love that you used the selvages on this quilt. Great!

tink's mom said...

I really like each of your Moose pieces but the tribute to your Dad and Brother is just wonderful. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Needled Mom said...

Those moose pieces are gorgeous. Great use of the selvages too. The quilt for your dad and brother is very touching.

Sharon said...

Cool project! I love how those selvedges look as the Moose background.

Nancy @ Grace and Peace Quilting said...

I love how you carried out the moose theme!!!

Danice G said...

All pretty quilts. So sorry about your dad and brother.

Moira said...

Really Cute!

Joy from Days Filled With Joy said...

oh I love all of your projects! Thanks for sharing them with us! xx

Leah said...

Thanks for the tutorial, your mini moose is fantastic.

Kate said...

Simple but effective. Love the selvage background, you did a great job with the color placement there.