Monday, August 21, 2023

Call Me Crazy

 


Oh Joan - she was the perfect choice for hosting this HOP.  A fellow 'crazy' who thinks outside the box.  AND she is certainly right in there is some 'crazy' in each quilter.  A project you smack your head and say 'I was crazy' to do this, a pattern or fabric that made you 'crazy' in love with, or a 'crazy' happening in your quilty life.



My guild knows I am just crazy for scraps and hand me off some baggies of the smallest bits.  They are like having a crazy candy addiction!  I've made many styles of OMG quilts with those bits that would be normally tossed.  Guess I'm not normal.  (those are one inch squares by the way)



I'm a bit crazy for learning and teachng about heritage blocks and period fabrics.  I feel even Modern quilters should know the history and Great Grandma's test of time before they change and dissect.  Hey, take those paper templates, cut with scissors, piece by hand, and hand quilt a small project.  You will SO appreciate what we have today.  They weren't crazy - they were Masters!




I do like to play with it all - heritage to modern to off the wall.  There are times I think quilters need to think and work outside the box to keep from getting 'stale'.




I've had a few lines of fabric that have been a love and keepsake, but I was crazy for the Ghastlies!!!  A mix between morbid and cute and made you  think about how to really do that fabric justic in a project.


I made a lot of quilts, wallhangings, pillows, and bags with this line - this was the last quilt I did with it and the backing had all the left over bits and 'yardage' to clear out.  I haven't had a fabric line hit me so 'crazy' as this one - even yet. 

Be sure to visit todays guest hosts:

Karrin’s Crazy World

Scrapdash

Inflorescence

VroomansQuilts (here)

Happy Cottage Quilter




 Sewingly Yours,

Sharon

18 comments:

Danice G said...

So true- there is a fine line. I like to call it just being eclectic and unique. Those black print fabrics are really nice.

Elizabeth Coughlin said...

I understand falling in love with a fabric, and your quilt is a crazy-great use for it!

Turid said...

I'm a scrap lover too. Your projects are super sweet. And those tiny blocks....I love them.

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

Crazy is just a frame of mind, and I like to think that creativity needs a bit of nuttiness now and then. You are in good company!

Calicojoan said...

Now this post explains a lot! LOL!! And you make me feel better about being crazy myself. tee hee hee. You know we are kindred souls and your love of the Ghastlies made my day. I so want to make some little blocks with 1" squares now! What a fun post.

Carol said...

Neat projects! Love your Ghastlies quilt! I can't imagine working with 1" squares very much--that would make me crazy (crazier??).

tink's mom said...

WOW! Since that hop back in the day using The Ghastlies, I have been in love with that fabric line. My quilts using that line will be coming out for the fall shortly. My smallest fabric pieces to work with are 2.5 in. to me 1 in is truly crazy, but creates such wonderful works of art. Beautiful job. Selina

Carol Swift said...

You and Joan will forever be my love-those-tiny-fabric-pieces heroes. Over the years I've watched you create amazing quilts with the tiniest of pieces. One inch squares are way too small for me...you are amazing! Ghastlies are one of my favorites, too. I always have some in my stash. Thanks for sharing your crazies with us, Sharon!

Karrin Hurd said...

Great quilts! I too pick up scraps from the free table on guild days, even though I have plenty of scraps of my own. Thanks for sharing Sharon!

Frog Quilter said...

I’m with you loving scraps. They make my heart sing!!!

Charlene McCain said...

Great quilts! I can't imagine making a quilt of 1" blocks! Crazy!

Sharon said...

Wonderful scrappy quilts! Thank you for sharing your "crazy".

LJ said...

You are a bit crazy - even with a twist! Great ideas and I feel the same way about some of my 'fabrics'. If I don't use them, the next person probably won't feel the same way as I do. I love you 'crazy' people and all the 'crazy' quilts you come up with.

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

I remember the Ghastlies blog hop.

Joy from Days Filled With Joy said...

oh wow, one inch squares!! Amazing! I definitely don't think you'll be getting "stale" any time soon!! Thanks for sharing your lovely projects and quotes! xx

Kate said...

That OMG quilt is so cute, but they are labors of love. I remember some of your Ghastly line projects, it was a really fun fabric line.

Raewyn said...

Looks like there is plenty of Craziness in your quilt world.....a lovely line up of your crazy quilts....1" square quilts are no mean feat but one I have dabbled in too - crazy fun!

Quilting Gail said...

I learned to quilt before the rotary cutter was available. And my first quilt used cereal box cut-out shapes. I've learned a lot since then!
There was a time when I was known for dumpster diving at guild functions (checking out the garbage cans) but after making a quilt without using any of my own scraps, I quilt!

Happy Quilting!