Tuesday, April 18, 2023

I Say What?

 


I would like to thank Joan for hosting this month's HOP with a very interesting Challenge.  We just had to use our own interpretation of "Say What" and go with inspiration into the wind - so to speak.

At this same time I was working with a guild program  that was a challenge to me.  Thus, they got combined which made things flow.


 A few of our guild members volunteered (me included) to present the month's program "Starting at the Border".  This is to say (what) start your quilt by selecting the outside border fabric first.  I have to say that none of our members work this way, so it made for a great learning and sharing program.  Each presenter explained their process and difficulties and how they overcame them.  This was my selection for the border.


Then I chose the background fabric for the blocks.  A bright white leaning against a light background needed some help or it would be a wash out.


This brown print carries out the different browns in the border fabric and will be a skinny break border.  I'll, also, use it for the binding and the backing.  It's a left over piece of a wide backing from a finished quilt and will be glad to get it out of stash.


Next was to pull the colors for the blocks.  Yes, I had a pattern selected at this time.  This worked into my part of sharing with the guild - buy what you need if using a fabric line.  Boy was that a struggle to find things in my stash to match this older line.  The green leaf in the border fabric read blue, but blue didn't work (nor any greens).  Well I hit the grey tote and found something that works.


This is the mock up I was going to use.  The block goes by several names - Star Wreath, Friendship Wreath, Friendship Circle, etc..  It's very easy to 'math' - I've done it using 1.5" squares, but this time I am going with 2.5" squares.


Since this was for the 'What Hop'and interpretation of a play on words - for the block name, I am calling this A Circle of Friends.  My guild is certainly a circle of friends, so it was a pleasure to show this process to them.


Our guild is doing a fund raiser event in June and I will donate this piece for the event.  But, my circle of friends might just hang out right here for a few days.

Be sure to visit today's other guest hosts

 Quilting Gail

Voormans Quilts

Quilted Delights

The Quilted Snail

Ms P Designs USA

Kathy's Kwilts and More 

Sewingly Yours,

Sharon

19 comments:

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

Such a lovely quilt and the border fabric is perfect.

Danice G said...

The border fabric does look great with your quilt. The pattern is super cute, and one that I had not seen before. A Circle of Friends is the perfect name for your quilt.

Elizabeth Coughlin said...

Your quilt is lovely and I enjoyed seeing your process for selecting the fabrics, starting with the border.

Calicojoan said...

Sharon, you always inspire me with your quilty goodness, but this time, thinking outside the box with your guild really has me going. What a fun and difficult way to approach a project. LOL!! As always you have hit the nail on the head with it. I love the name you picked as well. We never stop learning and you have proven that!

tink's mom said...

What an interesting way to look at a quilts construction. Thanks for sharing your presentation with us. Your finish is a wonderful recap of the lesson.

Charlene McCain said...

Interesting challenge! I have never chosen the border fabric first. Sounds like fun! You did a beautiful job choosing your fabrics and designs, and the name you chose is perfect! I have always been intrigued by this pattern, but never made one, so I just may have to give it a try.

LJ said...

Wow, your project looks wonderful. Choosing from the outside border inward seems dastardly wicked to me. Holy smokes, you did a great job.

MissPat said...

I've recently seen this pattern somewhere else and thought I'd like to try it. Interesting outside the box idea to start with the border, then pick the colors. Might be a good way to use those wild, colorful fabrics I like to buy then don't want to cut up.
Pat

Sandie @ crazy'boutquilts said...

I never thought about what a fun challenge it would be to start with the border fabric! Your Friendship Circles turned out great!

Karrin Hurd said...

Cute quilt, and I like those Friendship Circles! Thanks so much for sharing.

Sharon said...

Cute quilt! Thanks for sharing your process with us.

Carol Swift said...

Working from the border in sounds like an interesting challenge. I found some fabric the other day that I thought was perfect for a border, so I guess I'll be working my way inward, too. I love your "Circle of Friends"...it's beautiful!

Barbara said...

What a sweet little quilt. I saved that pattern to Pinterest a while back, but haven’t done anything with it.

Carla said...

So interesting to choose the border first. What a great way to grow. The quilt is beautiful.

Brenda @ Songbird Designs said...

Very cute quilt, Sharon. I love friendship blocks and this makes a great circle of friends!!

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Cute quilt. I have chosen the border fabric first many times. Sometimes it's easier to find my fabrics after I've found my border fabric.

Kate said...

I've never had much luck starting with the border first. You certainly made your choice work. It's a beautiful finish!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Well done, Sharon! When students were afraid of choosing colors for their quilt, the method you used was what I always suggested. The fabric designer had already selected the colors, the budding quiltmakers simply had to follow their lead. (Almost) Guaranteed success!! :o))

Joy from Days Filled With Joy said...

Oh I love the soft colors in this quilt! It's soooo pretty! xx