Thursday, June 21, 2012

Summer Solstice



A solstice is an astronomical event that happens twice each year as the Sun reaches its highest or lowest excursion relative to the celestial equator on the celestial sphere. As a result, on the solstice the Sun appears to have reached its highest or lowest annual altitude in the sky above the horizon at local solar noon. The solstices, together with the equinoxes, are connected with the seasons. In many cultures the solstices mark either the beginning or the midpoint of winter and summer.

And it brought the hottest day of the year to us - and this 'old lady' had an air conditioner installed - thanks to my brother!


DOLL QUILTER'S SWAP



I received this beautiful doll quilt from Anita for the June Theme - Something Old-Something New. This 'Happiness is an Heirloom Quilt' is such a treasure. I hope you can enlarge to peek at all those sweet prints she put into the little postage stamp quilt on a quilt. And the pieces are graduated size to give the deminsion of flowing into the piece - clever!



And just a great label (on some super backing) - label those quilts ladies and gents. She added some various laces and ribbons and roses - oh that lace with the trees and houses is just so pretty. I am planning a large crazy quilt with white/off white/beige fabric and embellishing with lites and pastels. How sweet of Anita to add to my embellishings.

12" MINI SWAP



Our June theme was "Welcome" and I received this sweet Pineapple mini from Mary Pat (who said in her little note with it that she wanted to keep it). I am so happy with this - an heirloom block representing 'welcome' itself. I have been keeping a watchful eye on it, my Mom is very partial to all things Pineapple. Thank you so much Mary Pat!



This was the "Welcome" mini I sent to Danette. We've been paired up in swaps before so I knew a little about her and I just have a thing about birdhouses welcoming Spring. Picture is from her as I was afraid if it was in my photo album, I would but up on my blog and she would see it.

LET ME SEE YOUR JELLY ROLL



I finished up my Jelly Roll quilt for this months challenge. It still looks like an Easter Egg to me. I used a Bella Solid JR with my staple Kona Snow. I have a light weight flannelette in white with multi mini pastel dots for the back and saved some of the JR strips for a scrappy binding. It will be saved for a spring baby gift.

CLOSING THOUGHT

"Peacefully -
The quiet stars came out, one after one;
The holy twilight fell upon the sea,
The summer day was done."
- Celia Thaxter

Sewingly Yours,
Sharon


**I had scheduled this to auto re-lease - of course , it didn't**

12 comments:

Average Quilter said...

Even if it does have Easter colors it still looks good. What do you do with all the doll quilts and mini's.

Sheila said...

Wonderful doll quilt , clever design . Love the mini swaps as well , the pineapple is lovely and since I love bird houses I love the mini you sent to your partner . The jelly roll quilt will make a perfect baby quilt in those pretty pastels.

Hilachas said...

The doll quiilt is adorble and the mini swap pieces are great! I like them all!

Karen M said...

I love that jelly roll baby quilt. It is very appealing.

BillieBee (billiemick) said...

Your little birdhouse is sooooo cute!!

I'm at my highest solstice as well and can cast a rather large shadow..giggle.

Anonymous said...

Oh Sharon love those mini's sent and received,the birdhouse is gorgeous,lucky Danette.xx

Snoodles said...

Amazing doll quilt! Such a clever idea...love the stitching, too. Did you paper piece the birdhouse? It's so cute!

Connie Kresin Campbell said...

Your jelly roll quilt is beautiful, I love the colors! Lots of great things and I really love that little birdhouse you did!

Needled Mom said...

I love the sweet little quilts and the jelly roll one is beautiful too.

We were on the road yesterday. We woke up in Wyoming with a temperature of 28*, drove through Vegas at 110* and returned home to 68*. Lots of temperatures for summer solstice.

Miss Hillbilly said...

Do you keep a good many quilts on display around your home and shop? If I was in swaps and such I think I'd like little areas where I could display and rotate out monthly--or even weekly!

Sheila said...

Yes! I remember your quilt with pastel eggs! Awesome! When I first saw this quilt, I didn't think of eggs. I thought of magnets. Regardless, most excellent entry in Megan's June "Let's See Your Jelly Roll!!" party! Good luck, Girl :D

Megan said...

Ooooh, I love the pastel solids - that's such an awesome pattern! It reminds of me Easter eggs and the old school U-shaped magnets. THANKS for linking up this month!