Saturday, December 21, 2019

Longer Days


Winter Solstice came upon us with a bit of sun, but bitter cold.  Days will start to get a little longer for us (and shorter for others) - a bright side to my day.

Just sharing a little bit of crafting fun with some older children or grands that might get that "I'm bored" thing - folded book page trees.  There are a lot of on-line tutorials and u-tube demos for these.  You can make the setting tree from paperback books.


 OR - you can make these lovelies with an old hardcover.  Again, you can find the instructions on-line.


When I ordered my 'gift' of the wool pressing matt (and an emergency needed extra wide back), I also picked up these three 1 yard cuts to add to stash.  Well, they actually have a purpose - the top two are border fabrics for two quilts and the shirting will make an appearance in the 'Seeing Red' Hop.

AND you are not the only one feeling stress of the Season - so smile!

  
Sewingly Yours,
Sharon

5 comments:

Nancy J said...

Love the trees, this is so basic, no need for expensive gadgets , love them.Group therapy, a friend gave me ome words of wisdom this morning, a long distance phone call, from almost the very tip of our North Island, and he said, as we reminisced about the past.. " You cannot saw sawdust!!!". We have been friends for almost 50 years.

sewyouquilt2 said...

Your book trees are so cute.reminds me of my mom making Santas out of them years ago.😍

Kate said...

Very cute trees. My mother made those when I was a kid. Have a very happy holiday season with your family.

Barbara said...

Oh my gosh...those book trees! I used to make them when I was a kit. We made them from telephone books, and then spray painted them either silver or gold. I suppose any color would have worked. Thanks for that blast from the past.

Andra Gayle said...

My husband and I were just talking about this last night...how it was popular when he was a kid in Hawaii to make Christmas trees out of phone books and how my grandmother made angels out of Reader's Digests. I remember folding pages for her. So, I got a kick out of this post.