Wednesday, April 27, 2016

Let's Book It - April 2016

Dust Off Those Books
I hope you have been dusting off those books, patterns, files, and printed off 'have to make it' projects.  It's a shame we gather all these lovelies and then ignore them.  This is the perfect opportunity to enjoy them - so consider joining in.


This will be my 'Let's Book It' project for April and May - Hill Side Houses.  Yes, you can use a large project and break it down into manageable units each month to help you complete it.  I've broken this down into 4 sections - one section a week - and this should help in getting this lovely at least to the flimsy stage.


HOUSE ONE


HOUSE TWO


HOUSE THREE


FIRST ROW COMPLETE

April's Charm is the HANDS ALL ROUND
     

Now it's Your Turn:


A Scrap Problem



Sarah @ Confessions of a Fabric Addict has a fabulous challenge for helping with that scrap problem.  My goal for April's scap management was my greens.


This drawer (and an overloaded shelf) was my selection.


9-Patches


Log Cabins


300 Flying Geese Units


Spool Blocks


600 (1.5") HSTs


And the drawer (didn't even touch the shelf) - looks worse.  I had more fabrics donated - yes, greens.  PLUS, I had a 'squirrel'.  You know - the distraction. And large gray tub that just annoyed me and had to be dealt with.


There were a few bags of scraps - donations I had not gone thru as I was busy with other areas of taming.  There was pressing, sorting, cutting down, putting into the storage system, and some things actually got tossed.  Nylons and polys just aren't going into my work - they shrink, shred, and melt.  But I found a couple of my Aunt's 'in-progress but let's not finish' things.  One was the blade borders which I took apart and made into these 'fans' to be appliqued to the white (an old white-on-white cleared off the shelf).  This will be a travel project for me over the next couple of months.


And this quilt was something I made some time ago with my Aunt's cast away blocks - reworked into something new.  It was in the tub - waiting for borders.  You know I hate borders.  I knew I wanted to add the black inner, but had nothing for the outer border.  Well, in pulling this out I remembered I had saved the side cuttings (wide backing) from a large quilt done by my long armer.  Just enough and just the right color - the quilt waited for a reason.  And I have a backing that has sat on the shelf for a few years - my weekend project is to get this quilted.


The green drawer may not have gotten emptied, but the large gray tub did and that makes me very happy.

Not sure what my May scrap challenge will be as I have a HUGE and FULL May planned.  Have you accepted the Scrap Challenge?  

Sewingly Yours,
Sharon

Monday, April 25, 2016

Monday Making 4/25/16


I managed to get the second block made for the Hillside Houses quilt.  My goal for today is to make the third block and get the row sewn together.  No, I didn't sew 'chimneys' and one extra - those are the windows of the next house.


I caught up on the 'Circa 2016' little blocks which gave me two bonus HSTs to add to the pile of 120 we need.


If I can get Moe to nap other than my Marcus fabrics, I can dig thru  those piles to see what small pieces are available to work a few more HSTs.  I want to work them as the small bits 'evolve' rather than cut them on purpose. 


Since the 2" barrel was stuffed (and Moe moved), I dumped it to sort.  I want to work some little bow tie blocks as well as pull any Marcus that may have ended up in here.  Again, rather than cut small pieces - use the bits that already exist.  And these little 3" blocks each week take little bits.

Hope you get some Monday time,
Sewingly Yours,
Sharon

Saturday, April 23, 2016

Recycling

Since I need to go to our local recycling center with bottles and  cans, I figured I better get that plastic bag (and a few others) emptied.  Sorted, stashed, slashed, and used fabrics.  The bags can now be cleared from the house.


  
I could save all these for the RSC16, but I wanted to use them up.  So a stack of green 9-patches were made.



Along with some red ones.  I did set aside some red scraps to go with another leader/ender project.



There weren't a lot of grey strips, but enough to make up a few tiny log cabin blocks.



Some green ones, too.



And of course - the reds.......



I found this wadded up in one bag.  I think my aunt may have started to make this as a border and then gave up on it.  I recognize a few fabrics that I had given her.  What to do with it?  The blades are made using a template and hand cut out and not all equal.  And some are not cottons.



Well, I carefully took it apart and scrapped the white - yes, I can throw out fabric.  And the non-cottons went into the trash, too.  I used one of the blades to make a cardstock template and cut some new ones from fabric out of that other baggy.  It's a start.  And yes, someone gifted me some cut-off triangles in a little baggy - a leader/ender project.  And you can see some of my little blue containers in the back - a few different leader/enders at hand.

** linking up with Oh,Scrap **

Join in This Year

And today there is a guest blogger with the most terrific 'recycle' quilt tutorial - I know I want to try this one myself.

Sewingly Yours,
Sharon