Tuesday, August 9, 2016

Semi Unplugged


I am hitting other blogger's post as I can, but I am semi-unplugged for a few days so I can make dealines on commission work.  I lost a couple of days with taking care of my Mother and her feature, so I have to put the pedal to the medal.


Trimming up a lot of HSTs, and this little container got dumped a few times.  Yes, that's Moe napping in my work space - luckily NO cat was injured in this process.


Those HSTs going into borders - yup, borders.  Three sets here with one more on the ironing board being pressed.  Four large wallhangings commissioned for a presentation (instead of a certificate or plaque) to some top contributors to the recovery of Schoharie Valley.  Yes, we are still trying to recover from Storm Irene.  I can't show these until after presentation.


Then there is a small commission (all the little purses are made and just need their snaps), quilt my Aunt's latest project, get a binding on a show quilt, and make my granddaughter's big girl quilt.  Mean while, the bags of scraps keep showing up in my car, on the door step, or from students.  I so want to play in these.

So I will unplug again and get busy!

Sewingly Yours,
Sharon

10 comments:

Sarah said...

Your commissioned quilts sound like excellent thank you gifts! Lucky you to have such a nice stream of scraps. Sounds like an Easter egg hunt - never knowing where you'll find them!!

Suze said...

Your scraps are like snow? Never know when it's coming and how much you are going to get? I've been thinking about making my granddaughter a big girl quilt. She just turned 3 in July. She came to live with my son and me quite unexpectedly in early March. She slept in his king bed with him. Then, I realized that I still had the toddler bed that he and even his dad had used. So, we drug it out of the attic. I have my daughter's double bed still here and I don't have another room to put it in unless I move my huge sewing cabinet somewhere else. So, I have no idea what size to really make a quilt that she can use for years and years. I haven't made a quilt in years, so it may be a long time before she gets another one. My life has dramatically changed since I used to quilt. I certainly wasn't planning on having her with us. I went from a house of silence to a hopping house in a matter of months. I had no idea what God had in mind for me! Lol - I think being a grandmother is more important than making quilts right now. I really don't have the energy for both. We who do not live it every day forget how long it takes to recover from natural disasters. And when they hit in your area, you never forget them. One of my first dates with my kids' dad was for him to bring me to Tulsa to see what a tornado can do. Of course, we couldn't get into the area for me to really see. I've since seen. And, we drove to Oklahoma City to see where the Murrow Building had been bombed. I'll never forget that. Then I took my second husband there to see the memorial. It's really impressive at night. One large chair for each adult and one small chair for each child and they are illuminated at night. It's very moving. There's a reflecting pond. One end has the time, the bombing began over it and the other has the time that it ended. When I worked in OKC, I lived in an apartment not far from the site and would go to church right across the street. The church building was damaged. It was repaired and the repair work was good yet obvious. It was a constant reminder. The pastor who married my second husband and me transferred to that church shortly after he married us. Eerie! Hope you can find some time to play in the scrap pile. You are wonderful to help with the projects for the Storm. Lives will be impacted forever.

Barbara said...

We'll be waiting here to see all that you accomplish.

KimM said...

Busy, busy lady....looking forward to seeing all your projects.
xxx

Sarah Craig said...

Stay cool and keep plugging away at it - you'll be playing in those scraps faster than you think!!

MissPat said...

Phew, I'm exhausted just reading your list. Wasn't this going to be a year to slow down? He-he. Good luck getting caught up. Hope the heat doesn't do you in.

MissPat said...

Phew, I'm exhausted just reading your list. Wasn't this going to be a year to slow down? He-he. Good luck getting caught up. Hope the heat doesn't do you in.

Teresa in Music City said...

Busy Busy Busy!!! I think you probably wore Moe out with all your work - he's telling you to take a nap :*)

Sheila said...

Take time to breath , sounds like you have a super busy schedule ahead of you , good luck with your finishes , I know you will complete on time .

Kate said...

Hope you've been able to get some good work in on your commissions and still find a little time here and there to play.