Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Hosting an Event


First, I have to thank fellow guild member, Steff, for providing all the photos.  Our local quilt guild - Schoharie Valley Piecemakers - was the host of the Fall Catskill Mountain Quilter's Hall of Fame.  The center two ladies are out-going President and Treasurer and the others are the new slate of officers (yes, that's me on the end trying to keep up with minute taking).  The main part of the business meeting was the vote on the slate of new officers.


Our guest speaker was Betsy Macomber (new inductee into the Hall of Fame) who is also a member of our guild.  She gave a wonderful presentation on how to prepare your quilts for a long armer.  Gave us an exercise to mimic how to create patterns home machine v.s. long arm.  And shared a lot of her templates and rulers to demonstrate what it takes to free hand guide those patterns - not easy and surely is a quilting art form that a lot of quilters do not realize.

  
This was one of her quilts she brought as an example of using these techniques along with so many other things. Examples of 'bed quilt' quilting and 'art quilt' quilting.   I think it was a real eye opener to those in attendance.  Yes, that's Ron - one of the three ( correction - FOUR) men whom are part of our guild - and they are going to be feature quilters at a local show in Oct.  And, Kathy is the other holder - she is our guild President.


Then we had a luncheon that many of our members provided the crock pot soups and lots of desserts!  If any one went hungry - they didn't go back enough.  And I was glad to see that members of the different guilds (8 of the 11 guilds in the district were present) felt comfortable to mingle, dine together, and just share that good old 'quilty' talk.


 The quilt in the corner - made by various Hall of Fame inductees to be the raffle quilt at the Catskill Mountain Hall of Fame quilt show - Fall of 2016.  All of those flower centers are the most precise little yo-yos I've ever seen and it is hand quilted.

I was so pleased with the turn out of our own members (a first experience for many of them), their dedication to put this together and to make it such a success.

Now I need to decipher my notes and get those minutes out!

Sewingly Yours,
Sharon

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Sharon,its always fun when they have speakers at the guild meeting and yours looks to be very interesting my friend,yes if it was me i wouldnt be able to read my hand writing if i had written it quickly,lol xx

Debbie said...

How great to have so many guilds come together and talk quilts. It doesn't happen enough around here. beautiful quilt for the raffle.....a real beauty.

Barbara said...

The raffle quilt is just gorgeous. Love it.

Sheila said...

The raffle quilt is absolutely beautiful! I love it!
Crock pot soups and desserts! What a yummy idea for a luncheon. About time to pull out my crock pot.

Joanna said...

I empathize with the note taking; it's what I did as an admin for some years. I'm sure your scribner duties are much appreciated. I love those quilts; they are both stunning. The mix of guilds must have made the meeting fun.

Sarah said...

Looks like a nice event with lots of quilty friends and food. Fantastic that you have guys in your guild. We have a couple guys who come to the LQS to buy fabric as a surprise for their wives and one male longarmer but no other guys anywhere near our store or guild.

barbara woods said...

some nice quilts, thanks

Needled Mom said...

I'll bet that was an interesting speaker. The quilts look gorgeous. I hope your notes are all in order. I'm sure mine would be a disaster.

StasaLynn said...

Sounds like you all had a great time. Gorgeous quilts! I bet your notes are great and your minutes will be very helpful in future meetings. What a great day for you all!

Lesley said...

What a wonderful day you all had! So glad you had great participation and great quilts! I'm sure your minutes kept you busy. Thanks for sharing!

Kate said...

Looks like a very successful and fun meeting.

Val's Quilting Studio said...

Yes...what a fun day. I wish I had a guild to participate in....thanks for sharing yours with us! :)SMILES!!!!

Carla said...

Sounds like a successful meeting!