Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Eagle Tutorial



I had a huge request for the Eagle block that was presented during the  Celebrate Red, White and Blue Blog Hop.  So I have written up a tutorial and made downloadable files for the templates.  I profess that I do a little fuseable applique so you can certainly adjust my explaination to fit your abilities.



I rough sketched a new Eagle from the original block.  When I started the first block I drew out rough lines and then broke them down into silouhette sections.  You can do this with any picture/drawing for a fun new look.




Next I used a 'fat' sharpie to fill in.  You can use a pencil or color pencil or even crayons - I just happen to have a huge tub filled with sharpies.  **note - you want the coloring to be a dark so you can see for tracing thru fabric**



Print the two - Eagle one and Eagle two -  files:

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B31QkNaJFZ7ydk0zSFpheTZfck0/edit

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B31QkNaJFZ7yTkVjemx6TGc5bkk/edit
   

**Be sure you set your printer 'page scaling' to NONE**  Line up and tape together.



Select your background fabric - keep it light enough so you can see thru it.  Cut at least a 12.5" block.  You can use a larger square if you wish - the Eagle was designed for the 12.5".



I'm lucky to have a home made lightbox - you can use a window or what ever means you have.  Lightly use a pencil or washable marker to outline your shapes onto your background.  This will give you visual placement of your fuseable pieces.




What ever product you use - be sure it is a lite weight if you are sewing it or you will have trouble with your machine.  Follow the manufactures directions on the package.  You can easily get all your template pieces on a 10" square.  So I fused a 10" square onto the back of my chosen fabric.



Carefully cut out your paper template pieces.  I recommend only cutting a few because so many of these look much alike and you will get confused.




**Remember to flip your template over as you need to reverse your pattern since you are making it on the back of your fabric**  Carefully trace around your template and cut out with fine tip sharp scissors.




I recommend starting with the eye and fill around.  Then the beak, head outlines, and then the neck feathers. 




Now have fun in stitching.  I actually 'thickened' up these outlines a little as some are very skinny.  This would make a fun piece to try thread painting with.  I hope you enjoy making the Eagle block and please share with me if you do so, I would love to see them.

Sewingly Yours,
Sharon

40 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow Sharon this block is amzing,well done.xx

Cheryll said...

I love it too... and I can use it for a gift for SIL this Christmas.
Thanks heaps. :)

Lesley said...

As I've saiid before, you are a very talented lady! Wonderful instructions!

Chatty Kathy said...

Thanks, Sharon. This will look lovely on a QOV I'm planning

Sheila said...

Great block, thanks for the tutorial. I have never done "reverse appliqué", but I bet this would make a good block to use that technique on? Have a great day.

Belinda said...

OOooh that is a wonderful tutorial Sharon!! I love that eagle and your tutorial makes it look really easy and fun.

Linda said...

Wow, this is really amazing! I was wondering how on earth you made that Eagle during the Blog Hop! Beautiful!

Sue Daurio said...

thanks for the great tutorial Sharon and such a wonderful pattern. I want to use this on a QOV quilt. It's just gorgeous!!

Janine @ Rainbow Hare said...

This is stunning! Thanks, too, for the great tutorial :)

Michelle May-The Raspberry Rabbits said...

Totally love this! Thanks for sharing your instructions. It's wonderful.
xx

Teresa in Music City said...

Oh yes Sharon I was hoping you would do a tutorial on this! Your eagle block is my favorite so far in the Blog Hop! Thanks for going to the trouble to do this for us and sharing!!!!

Diana and LaDonna said...

This is beautiful! Thanks so much for sharing how to do this!

LaDonna

krisgray said...

Cool!! Thank you for the files and the tute!

Flo @ Butterfly Quilting said...

WOW! this is sooooo cool ! Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Sharon,
Thanks so much for sharing the tutorial!

Sheila said...

Oh my, Sharon. That was a lot of work! A great 12 1/2" block!

Needled Mom said...

Thank you for the pattern. It is a great idea and looks wonderful.

Sallie said...

WOW! Thanks for sharing!

Average Quilter said...

That is amazing. I will have to try it

Margie said...

Have been waiting for this and Thank You so very much. This will be made in honor of my grandson that we lost in Afghanistan.

Connie Kresin Campbell said...

Beautiful Sharon and thanks so much for taking the time to make the tutorial and files for us!

Joanna said...

Thank you very much for creating this tutorial. It's going on my to do list.

Pat Merkle said...

How cool! Great tutorial!

KatieQ said...

Thanks for doing the hard work to make the block and the tutorial so that we can have fun and play with the block.

Debbie said...

Wow...what a neat tutorial. I may try the silhouette idea on a project I have in mind, if I can find a photo to work from. Thanks for sharing.

Sparky said...

ohhhhhh wow Sharon...when I first saw it I thought it was all stitching...absolutely stunning tut...
way to go Sharon...you are like this eagle..you just keep soaring to new heights and bring us along for the ride

Allison said...

I love your eagle block! thanks for sharing the tutorial & templates :)

Pattilou said...

You are so very generous to share this tutorial. It makes a great addition for a new adventure in quilting.

Kat said...

Great tutorial, Sharon. Thanks for sharing your pattern!

Denise :) said...

Awesome, Sharon!! Thanks for not only sharing the process, but the templates as well!! :)

Anonymous said...

Sharon, Thank you so much for the pattern and tutorial for the Eagle. It is awesome! QOV quilt will look super with it in the center.
Diane P

Melissa Corry said...

That is so cool Sharon!!! I love it!!! What a fabulous way to do some detailed applique!!

Sarah Craig said...

Whoop whoop!! I loved this block when I saw it and now there's a tutorial - hooray!

Quiet Quilter said...

Wow! Ingenuity abounds! So glad I came lookin'.....

Heide said...

One of the best eagle pictures I've seen. You are so talented. Thank you for creating the tutorial and sharing.

Anonymous said...

I love your eagle. I hope I can do justice to it,--My gsons both wanted a red white & blue quilt-and your eagle will set it off fantastically.

Snoodles said...

Thanks for helping me out, Sharon! I appreciate it!
It's working smoothly! Now I can rest easier about the show next week.

Lyndsey said...

Great blocks and tutorial. Thank you.

Unknown said...

As my kids would say "This is the KABOOM"

Val's Quilting Studio said...

This is amazing....such a good one to rejuvenate!