Saturday, July 14, 2012

Christmas Quilt Along


Today is our July installment of the Fiestive Mystery Quilt by Sue at Quilt Times  .  Today's hostess is Lynne over at Sewn Wild Oaks.  


While I wait for everyone to wake up, I am gathering my pieces and supplies for the day.  I have some doll quilts for the Mrs Claus program that I plan on finishing up by this weekend so I can mail them on.  I will be updating on this single post thru the day.

UPDATE



I have decided to go with the simplest layout and only a 4 x 5  - which means I have some blocks left over, but they will be used in something.  This will make a nice couch throw, so maybe a pillow to go with it.  Now to the borders.

UPDATE




The borders are on.  I want to give this a good starch pressing.  By working this construction method - optional layouts - I had to repress seams to get them to mesh up, but some I couldn't do that with so areas are bulky and need a good damp cloth pressing - Bella solids do not press well with a bulky seam.  Now to play with that pillow..... 


UPDATE




The pillow is finished - will need to pick up an 18" pillow form for it - I love big pillows!




I have gotten three of the six doll quilts quilted up.  I will finish the others and then machine bind them.  I think it has been a good sewing day!

UPDATE




Well, I have only two more bindings to finish up on the doll quilts - will share these on Monday's post.  My furries want me to take a walk with them.  I share Moe a lot of late, so I need to share Bella - yes, we are going in search of some fresh cat nip - a taste and a roll and I can snip some up for in the house.  She is fun to watch - she finds those plants so easily, then pulls down the stems, strips the leaves off, and then rolls in the pile.  So I bid you all a good night.
Sewingly Yours,
Sharon

21 comments:

Denise :) said...

Have fun today! I will enjoy peeking in on your updates today!! I can't think Christmas myself (today) -- I've got to get this baby quilt quilted and bake breakfast for 40 for tomorrow morning. Aye yi yi! I'm *really* looking forward to next Saturday!!! :)

QuiltSue said...

I'm looking forward to seeing the doll quilts, you always come up with such cute designs for them.

Anonymous said...

enjoy your day Sharon.xx

Sheila said...

Enjoy your day sewing Sharon. Your blocks are looking great .

Donna said...

Mrs Claus has been very busy. Santa should cook super tonight! The doll quilts are adorable.

Mary on Lake Pulaski said...

Looks like you are in the mood already!

QuiltSue said...

I love your layout, and what a clever idea to make a matching cushion with your left-overs!

carolyn said...

Liking your layout. May do that myself.
Carolyn

Joanna said...

The pillow idea is nice. You'll have a beautiful Christmas set when you're done.

QuiltSue said...

Yes, that is the trouble with giving a choice of layouts, but i couldn't do anything about that unfortunately.

Still, yours looks wonderful.

Lesley said...

Sharon, your quilt and pillow are wonderful! What a great idea to make the matching pillow. It makes a stunning set! Love your design and your fabrics! Yay you!

Lynn said...

Sharon, the pictures of your projects are so cheerful and really get me in the mood for Christmas. Great idea using the extra blocks for a pillow.

sandra said...

I always love your blog, your projects are always so lovely to look at and walking your garden always makes me feel peaceful like I am with an old friend talking about quilts. Thanks and blessings Sandra

Carrie P. said...

I would say you have had a good day sewing too.

Joanna said...

The pillow cover looks terrific. Love seeing Bella working for you catnip. My cat Moxie's nip comes in a plastic tub - not sure if she would know the real plant if she came across it.

Janet said...

Love the fabrics you used and the layout. It is a really pretty quilt.

Gmama Jane said...

You amaze me at how much quilting you accomplish!! I need your time management skills!
Gmama Jane

QuiltSue said...

Your quilt looks wonderful, and I love the idea of making a matching cushion. I think I might just have to do that too with the extra pieces I managed to cut by mistake!

Sheila said...

I love your doll quilts! Sofa quilt and pillow, too. Beautiful. My goodness. You have been busy!
Interesting to hear how Moe enjoys cat nip. I had no idea how cats played with cat nip. Always enjoy seeing pictures of your babies.

Mrs.Pickles said...

lovely work! everything is to pretty!

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Congrats on your win over at Cat Patches!