Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Squared Up


I have been playing out of these two barrels over the last week and a half.  I have 3 quilts in progress using the 2" squares and 3 quilts in progress using the 2.5" squares.  AND they still are jammed full of squares!!

I found it rather interesting that when I first started blogging, I did a segment on 'Squared Up'.  Making simple blocks and quilts using squares - full circle in my 'Keeping it Simple'.


And doesn't this look familar?  This is the very first quilt that started my blogging.  I had to be an active blogger to participate in a Brown Bag swap on-line.  Since then I have met so many wonderful quilting ladies and gents.

And it just so happens to be the very pattern that Terry has selected for the next Sew Along.  Now I hate to repeat a pattern, so I am working mine a little differently - and so is Terry.  BUT again, full cycle with the 'Keep it Simple' and Squared Up.


I'm using full colored 9-patches with my snowballs and will change up the border so I use more of those squares out of that barrel.  The 'snowballs' (and border) are even being made using cut-offs from a quilt backing.  Yup, more scrapping and clearing out.  


And like I need another leader/ender project.  But I keep one by each machine to work on - that's why I have so many 'in-progress'.  I discovered I had a lot of lite (or low volumn) 2.5" squares - then I found I was tucking them in another barrel - and I found some tucked in a container - DUH!  So they are now all together (and I just emptied that green bucket).  The plastic bag is so I can 'shake them up' to get random pulls with out tossing them all over the place.  It's funny how some of the colors photo'ed darker than they are- the yellows, pinks, and purples are much lighter - well, the whole thing is really.

We had a reprieve from snow today - actually saw the wonderful sun and I went out with the furballs and walked in it!  But we are in for another 2-3 days of snow.  I haven't quilted that little log cabin wallhanging yet nor started my Let's Book It project - fabrics are pulled.  I think they need to be played with as I need a break from the squares.

Sewingly Yours,
Sharon   

26 comments:

KatieQ said...

We are expecting more snow tomorrow and Saturday. It doesn't sound like it will be much, but they have been wrong about every storm this year. With my luck they will be erring on the low side this time and we will get a ton. Stay warm.

Sheila said...

We are expecting snow next week, extreme cold this weekend.
You have inspired me to started cutting 2" squares from my scraps. I took your lead and started cutting 2.5" squares from scraps a few years and have enjoyed making blocks and quilts from that collection. Thank you : )

Dana Gaffney said...

I'm so glad you and the furbabies saw the sun and enjoyed it. I like all of these scrappy sew alongs, simple patterns that end up in beautiful quilts.

Debbie said...

Love the snowbal scrappy one.....you could be forecasting with this combo! The "lite" quilt.....colors can fool the eye because we are drawn to the brighter ones. The camera eye is showing the value of each square. Many times I miss a problem or mis-placed square until I take a photo. It is a handy tool to use.

Calicojoan said...

I love them. What fun scrap busters and simple... music to my ears! :-)

Lesley said...

Always love to see your WIP. Especially love the combintion of 9-patches and snowballs. Funny how scrap jars just grow and grow!

Eat Sleep Quilt said...

I love the way you keep moving on by "keeping it simple." And did you forget the first rule of scraps - the more you use, the more you have; they multiply overnight!

Kathy S. said...

I have a bin of 2" squares that never ends too. I LOVE Terry's QA's! Thanks for reminding me. Happy sewing. Have a great weekend, Sharon.

Sylvia Anderson said...

I spied your green bucket from the Dollar Tree and smiled, because I have a dozen of them for my colored scraps. I love that store and often find things that I can use in my 'play room'. I love the brightly colored 9 patch squares for the 2nd. quilt and can't wait to see it finished. lv2bquilting2@comcast.net

Scrappy quilter said...

You have some great projects going on here. And a great way to use up those squares.

Terry said...

How cool that your first blog quilt was the same one we're doing now! I love the new blocks you're making...keep using up those scraps!! :0)

Barbara said...

I love what you're doing with the snowballs there.

Needled Mom said...

It will be fun to see the two quilts side by side.

Sandie @ crazy'boutquilts said...

I love the barrels for the squares! Very clever display. Have a happy day!

Kris said...

All your "simple" projects are looking great!! And how fun that you got to go out into the sunshine for a bit!!

Sheila said...

I love what you are doing with your snowball blocks and it has given me an idea with some blocks I already have made and some from an exchange . Thanks for that inspiration , that's wy I love visiting you so much :-)

Christine M said...

I love quilts that are made of just squares. So simple yet so effective.

Karen said...

Your blocks for Terry's sew along are really little. It always seems like my scraps multiply instead of disappearing. I hope you don't get any more snow.

Mrs.Pickles said...

lovely as always :)
We haven't had a lot of snow this year. Still a lot, but not as much.
I hope you don't get too much in the next few days

Michele said...

I like the blocks you have so far. Try to keep warm and enjoy your sewing time. I hope to get some in this weekend.

Sylvia Anderson said...

All of us have heard and sympathized with everyone living on the northeast coast, and our hearts go out to you continue to be blasted by Mother Nature's fury. We live in the Chicago area, and today are experiencing some of what you are going through with the bitter cold and high winds. As is sit and type this, I'm looking out the window and watching the poor little birds trying to land and stay put on the bird feeders that keep swaying back and forth. Stay warm and inside. lv2bquilting2@comcast.net

Pattilou said...

Snowballs to remember this winter of 2015! Love all your projects. Those 2.5 inch squares go such a long ways! Keep warm and keep quilting.

Kevin the Quilter said...

You've come a long way baby! LOL Love the snowball reference with the winter of 2015!

Kate said...

It will be fun to have the reverse of your first quilt. You've got such good plans for all your scraps. I know it seems like you have a lot, but at least you a lot of those all cut to size for stitching. That had to be a lot of work by itself.

Fiona said...

hello, just popping over from Terry's link up to see what you are up to... your blocks are looking great and so nice to have a ready supply of the squares....
Hugz

Sisbabestitches said...

Oh it's so cute that you have gone full circle with the snowball blocks. The full colour 9-patches do end up looking quite different, don't they :)