Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Let's Book It - February 2015


I know this was a short month, so don't stress that you weren't able to finish your 'Let's Book It' project.  It is about pulling those long forgotten books, patterns, saved pdf's. etc. and finally making that project you so loved when you first saw it.


This was the book I pulled for my February project.  I've always been drawn to landscapes and this had a new to me technique - we all need to expand our quilting.


I liked the idea of the fence.  I think being on a farm and our farm having many types of fences drew me to this.


I had wanted to work more with a Spring pallet, but I just didn't have the fabrics to pull from and the initial start was scrapped and I turned to Fall.  This technique has you cut a lot of pieces, glue them in place and then use monofiliment to stitch them down.  


Obviously I was failing miserably with this.  I had trouble keeping the little pieces to stay glued (hence the pins) and all that monofiliment thread to me was a distraction from the look.  AND I was mixing Fall and Spring and Summer - just not a nice mix at all!

So I failed with this project.  That is OK.  I learned that this technique does not work for me - I tried something new and that's a good thing.  I learned that if this is your 'niche', you need the stash to work with and that is something I don't have.  And another good thing - this book will come off my shelf and be moved on to someone else to enjoy.

 

Since I had such a stormy experience with my project,  I thought the Storm At Sea charm was the appropriate charm to go with the Vintage Sewing Machine pin for this month.

Now it is your turn:




Sewingly Yours,
Sharon

13 comments:

Debbie said...

I am not a fan of those realistic prints even for landscapes. They are hard to work with I think. trees cut out of various green prints would have worked. And you are right the monofilament thread is awful, and forget the glue, just fuse. Glad you got this out of your system and tried. Now, on to what you are great at....wonderful scrap designs. This was not a failure, it was a good learning experience. thanks for sharing your results.

Dana Gaffney said...

Well, the learning experience makes it worthwhile but I do like the ones that turn into something I like to do better than learning that I never want to do that again :)

KatieQ said...

I'm not familiar with this technique, but judging from your experience, it's not one I'm likely to try. Monofilament has never been my friend.

Barbara said...

You're right...a try is a success no matter how it turns out. You've learned something valuable. I have a project like this...a barn...that I started a long time ago. I swear I will finish it someday. I was using 505 to stick the pieces onto the quilt, and that has worked very well. Even after years of hanging sideways in my closet, the pieces are still stuck down. I was planning to use matching threads to stitch the pieces down. We'll see. Like I said...someday I'll finish it. As for this month's project, haven't started it, although I had good intentions. Still trying to finish up my sewing machines. Maybe today. I've come to the conclusion that I really don't want to make the project I had picked for this month. It's been on my to-do list for two months, and I keep putting it off. I think it might be time to pick something different.

Needled Mom said...

I know I would be a failure at this type of quilt. I love the looks of ones I have seen, but my imagination lacks in that field.

Sheila said...

This type of quilt art has never been on my list of things to do. They look difficult. Thank you for sharing your experience. You are always open to trying new sewing techniques. I'm sticking with squares, rectangles and blocks.
It has been a short month. We got snow last night. Second time this week. I'm tired of winter.

Scrappy quilter said...

No matter, I applaud you for trying something new. Great job!

KimM said...

I think it looks great. Sometimes we're too critical of ourselves. You GO, Girl!!
xxx

Kate said...

At least you give it a good try. It has a very cool look to it, you could call it Land of all Seasons if you were inclined to finish it.

Anonymous said...

thankyou Sharon i hope to do more during the week.xx

Dasha said...

I finally finished a LBI project from way back last year. Done and dusted. Thanks for encouraging us Sharon.

Belinda said...

It's hard when you are disappointed with something you put work into. But you have a good attitude about it.

liniecat said...

Fusing would have helped you enormously and its also helpful to sometimes capture the 'picture' behind a voile layer, that too can be fused in place. I think I would have made a feature of the stitching in either variegated or black thread too. But any attempt at anything is a learning curve, so not a waste of your time!