Thursday, October 30, 2014

October NewFO

2014 NewFO Challenge

 Barbara @ CatPatches is our inspiration for starting something new with no pressure to finish.  I normally have something small, so a finish usually happens.


Again my official NewFO is for the Monthly Doll Quilt Swap Group.  My partner and I agreed on the theme "Farmer's Market".  Naturally a little dollie matches the front along with my signature label for these.  Can you guess what is on the front?


We all go to the Farmer's Market to pick up fruits and vegies for those Canning Days.  And I put my canning jars into a window box setting.  It's a blurry photo, but take a close look at the string beans - Sharon's - couldn't have planned it.  These came from my Mom's scraps and a very old fabric.  There was just enough to cut the nine for the front and one to add into the pieced back.  The bits and pieces were used to dress the dollie and that vintage fabric was gone.

Never too hot to Stitch!

I did get this completed this month after having to roll it over from the previous month.  The EQ was loaded onto the computer, but yet to be played with.  Still studying the manual and going thru some of the lessons.  My SIL wants her next quilt designed a certain way (which I drew on paper), but will use EQ to put it in hard copy -  I hope.

And the years of tutorials are finally on my header - don't know why my extra pages are above my banner, but I am not fiddling with it - might lose my whole blog and then I will have a heart attack! 

VroomansQuilts


And you've seen this already - my Rick Rack Ghastlies quilt.  This was a very quick pattern with such a fun layout that I am planning another with some soft florals for the Spring.


I used Valerie Wells little wallet pattern to make up some gift card purses for the Make Christmas Handmade with SewCalGal.


This month's Simple Small Project was a table topper - there is quite a mix of fabric lines in this one, but I like the blend.


The last row for Quilt Doodle Row Quilt was a string of lights.  I'll add the 'wiring' when this is quilted.

My blocks for the RSC14 were done up and sent on to Sarah and I am already seeing them in some lovely quilts.  And my Marcus Brother QAL is actually a quilt finish, but it has been so rainy I haven't been able to take outside for a good photo.


The Country Corners blocks are coming along.  I have yet to make the setting blocks - maybe in November.


The Charming Stars.  I think I am going with 9 blocks (sashed) and then a piano border for a couch throw size.  So this should be a flimsy next month.


And finally taking a day to slow stitch with Slow Stitch Sunday, I got this little project finished and fabric framed.

Of course the Little Letters QAL is still on-going, trying to finish up the lozenges quilt, and like the scrap idiot I am - started on the OMG quilt.


But I'm not insane - I'm using 1.5" strips and my pre-cut barrels to work this one instead of those tiny 1".

I'm surprised I got this much done with my Mom's surgery and care, a three-day Quilt Show, and a broken machine.  Yes, the new machine I ordered came and was a total lemon.  I think I got a factory re-built (not fully rebuilt) instead of brand new - it went back.  I pulled my old Brother that has sat for 2 years 'frozen' to clean up - had a friend who was going to 'play' with it to see if they could get it working again.  Well, I cleaned it up, plugged it in to see if it even was alive - IT WORKS!!  So this is my piecing machine.

Thanks for sticking with me, now to push Bella off that quilt again so I can finish quilting it.


Sewingly Yours,
Sharon

21 comments:

Mary said...

Always fun to see what's NEW on your Blog. Hope your machine troubles are over. Sorry you got a Lemon!

sewyouquilt2 said...

awwww Bella looks so comfy! sorry about your machine. I bought a machine one time at a local shop. got it home, didnt work. went back and had them set it up there to make sure. seems there were 5 of them damaged in shipping. I got a machine of more value from the manager. thats how I fell in love with my Husqvarna. I had originally got a white.

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

Lots going on here to see and enjoy...my favorite is the canning jars! So darn cute!!

Terry said...

Your stars look great! And I think a piano key border would be beautiful! :0)

Christine M said...

You have been busy, Sharon. I love your vegie jar quilt. I bet Sharon's string beans are pretty good!

Dasha said...

An amazing bunch of goodies there Sharon

QuiltSue said...

Considering everything else going on, I'm amazed at how much you've done this month. I hope all your machine problems are over now.

Val's Quilting Studio said...

I always love this monthly post of yours...motivates me and I enjoy seeing all your projects. SMILES sent your way!

Needled Mom said...

What a great October you have had. I loved seeing the recap.

Sheila said...

Wonderful post filled with lovely projects , it would be hard to choose a favorite , you are incredible!

Cheri the Quilting Nanny said...

Love that OMG quilt... I'd like to say I'll make one, but I know I won't work with that small pieces!

tink's mom said...

Sew very productive. Love the farmers market piece. Your dolls are always a treat.

Teresa in Music City said...

Such fun projects! You always do such an interesting array of different projects each month Sharon :) Love your little Farmer's Market doll quilt and dollie!

Joanna said...

Oy, where to begin. The dolly quilt set is precious; really sweet. I love the blocks that follow the Quilt Doodle Doodle lights, which also look great. It might be the Marcus Brothers QAL. I don't know what an OMG quilt is but I love the blocks. And Bella looks so comfie.

Kate said...

You made lots of fun stuff in October. The doll quilt is perfect and looks so sweet. Your row of Christmas lights turned out beautifully. All the other projects hit just the right notes. Hope November is even better.

Brown Family said...

You always get a lot done. Cute farmers market. If it is the same at your house as mine, i am not willing to push Bella off the quilt!

Barbara said...

Great projects this month, Sharon! I love the way you put your canning jars in the attic windows block. That is such a cute quilt.

Cherry said...

Bella is so cute! I am amazed at everything you accomplished this month. The Christmas lights are great - can't wait to see that finished. Good Luck on the OMG - way too much for me to even think about starting.

Lynne said...

Wow! So much going on, it almost makes me dizzy. Love the little 'canning' quilt and your dolls are cute! I'm sorry the anticipated arrival of the new piecing machine went so badly! I have a Janome machine and I love it.

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Another busy month for you. Glad the Brother sews.

Michele said...

You certainly did get a lot accomplished last month even with the extra duties. Congrats on that. And I can help fix the pages problem if you want.