Monday, October 20, 2014

AMB

amb_web_homepage

Back in April American Made Brand announced their challenge with the introduction of their new line of solid cottons grown and manufactured in America.  I found it difficult to find the fabric because it took some time to find it's way into on-line shops and LQS, but eventually I managed to locate the amount and colours I wanted.

 
You could enter up to two entries and this is the first one I made.  Now I didn't follow instructions - design had to represent from farm to fabric - to me it spoke a feeling I needed to express.  Our  Valley was nearly wiped from the map with storm Irene.  We are a farming valley, farming families, farming community, we relate to the earth.


Broken homes, broken paths, some connected and some not.  Loss of some families moving on, others remaining to re-build because the Valley is in their heritage.


The black of the darkness of the night as the waters rose, not knowing what would be left come morning.  Red barns on farms that have been in generations of families.  The blue of the morning that came after.  Green fields that came from the re-birth and yellow for those who carried on the light.

I'll share my second piece tomorrow.

Remember to visit these ladies in the Black Cat Crossing Hop:

  
Sewingly Yours,
Sharon

16 comments:

Lesley said...

Excellent piece with such a vivid description of the significance of the fabric choices. Wonderful!

Anonymous said...

Hi SHaron,awesome piece of work and wonderful post.xx

KaHolly said...

Wow!! Love your work. I'll be hunting down some AMB solids when I return to the states for the winter. I have a project all drawn up and ready to sew.

Jill said...

A modern abstract quilt that tells a story that needs to be told about your community. Very fiitting to be made with American cotton.

Kathy S. said...

Wow, Sharon! I love your interpretation of this challenge. The story is well told!

Debbie said...

I hope you include your story of this one on the label.....it is important to know what feelings brought this work out of you. It is quite moving.

Wilma Lee said...

Love it!!

Barbara said...

I love this, Sharon. The colors are so vibrant!

sunny said...

What an inspirational piece! Thanks for sharing your story.

Dana Gaffney said...

Wow, what a different and powerful piece to tell to tell your story, it's wonderful.

Createology said...

Your quilt is beautifully hand made from the heart. Prayers for your farming valley.

Joanna said...

I love, love, love American Made Brand. I am so happy that there is that resource for fabric. Your quilt expresses a deeply felt experience; it comes through and is lovely.

Sarah Craig said...

It's beautiful, Sharon! So symbolic and thoughtful!

Sheila said...

I remember pictures of the devastation on national news. I feel your art quilt reflects these troubling days and your community in distress.

Kate said...

Nice graphic design.

Michele said...

This is just perfect to sum up all that your area has gone through since the storm. Perfectly done.