Tuesday, October 21, 2014

AMB - Blogaversary Winners



This is the second piece that I entered in the 'From Farm to Fabric' AMB contest.  For many years our farm (and several in the Valley) grew vegetables for Beachnut Baby Food - until the local plant shut down.  Peas, Beans, Carrots, and Corn were all up and down the Valley.  So I chose the block 'Corn and Beans' to represent our farm.


This piece was almost thrown in the bin - remember when I was upset with a piece being horribly scorched?  This was it!  Right down the center of the whole thing.    I had wanted this to be quilted beautifully by Sue Daurio - we even conversed on this project - then the disaster of all disasters.

Finally determined, I took the piece apart and  replaced all the scorched sections.  Being short on entry time, I just used my serpentine to finish it off.  Would have loved to have had this little quilt done the way I envisioned, but sometimes life throws you a curve ball - we have to grow from it.


Don't forget to visit these ladies today for the Black Cat Crossing Hop



WINNERS OF THE BLOGAVERSARY JELLY ROLLS:

Michele T said...
Happy Blogiversary!!! So nice of you to celebrate with this sweet giveaway!! Both fabric lines are pretty and if I won I'd be happy with Be Jolly!!
Gill said...
Congratulations Sharon!
Thanks for including us non-US peeps in your lovely giveaway!

I will be getting in touch with these ladies to get their JRs off in the mail.  Thank you all for your lovely comments.  There will be a give away tomorrow with my Black Cat Crossing post.

Don't forget that the Blogger's Quilt Festival begins Friday, Oct 24th - you can link up two projects in their respective catagory.

Sewingly Yours,
Sharon



18 comments:

Sheila said...

Congratulations to the winners : )
Corn and beans. Very appropriate. This is really a beautiful piece. I remember Beachnut Baby Food. Terrible the plant closed.

Val's Quilting Studio said...

Congrats to the winners. Love that you were able to make lemonaide from what seems to be turning into lemons...your finish is awesome. I like how bright and crisp it is::)

Dasha said...

Excellent save Sharon. You can't tell that there was a scorch mark in that quilt anywhere. I love that block too, and have been meaning to make it up one day. On my long, long list of "want to do's"

Anonymous said...

Congrats to the lucky winners and boy fixed it up real good Sharon.xx

Lesley said...

What a perfect choice of pattern for your entry. Glad you took the time to redo it...it is a very striking quilt and I think the serpentine stitching adds lots of interesting texture to it. Well done!

Natashahcoy@gmail.com said...

I think my post was lost. I'll try again. I love this quilt! The color choices make it really stand out. Sounds like it has such a story!

Dana Gaffney said...

I'm so glad you fixed it, it's very pretty. Plus, thanks for the name of the block, I've never heard it before.

Barbara said...

I love your little quilt. Somehow I missed your blogoversary, so Happy Blogoversary!

Average Quilter said...

It is a very nice quilt but it is a bummer to have to bite the bullet and take something out. It was worth it.

Sheila said...

Congrats to the winners . Glad you took the time to save your work , very appropriate block !!

Gill said...

Thanks so much Sharon and congratulations to Michele!

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Glad you could fix that quilt top. It turned out nice.

Joanna said...

The history behind your block choice makes this quilt interesting as well as lovely. The whole story is perfect for a quilt made from cotton grown on an American farm.

Michele T said...

Thank you Sharon!! I am looking forward to creating with Be Jolly!! As for your quilt, wow! One would never suspect that it was repaired and very well worth all the work because this piece is gorgeous!

Denise :) said...

That was a nice thing to do for your readers! Congrats to your winners!! :)

Michele said...

It still turned out pretty even though it isn't as you envisioned. Happy Blogiversary!

KatieQ said...

I'm always amazed at Sue Daurio's quilting, but I think the quilt looks beautiful the way you quilted it. What a great way to have a connection to your farm's history.

Kate said...

I would have been heart broken about the scorching. I love colors you used and the secondary pattern the red in the blocks creates.