Saturday, October 25, 2014

Blogger's Quilt Festival - Original Design Catagory




Fall 2014 BQF Button

I love the fact that we can participate in the Fall Market thru Amy's CreativeSide's brilliant idea of a Blogger's Quilt Festival. You can join in thru the week and even vote for your favorite in each catagory.




Back in April American Made Brand announced their challenge with the introduction of their new line of solid cottons grown and manufactured in America.  I found it difficult to find the fabric because it took some time to find it's way into on-line shops and LQS, but eventually I managed to locate the amount and colours I wanted.


Your original design had to represent from farm to fabric - to me it spoke a feeling I needed to express.  Our  Valley was nearly wiped from the map with storm Irene.  You can see photos of the damage HERE.  We are a farming valley, farming families, farming community, we relate to the earth.



Broken homes, broken paths, some connected and some not.  Loss of some families moving on, others remaining to re-build because the Valley is in their heritage.


The black of the darkness of the night as the waters rose, not knowing what would be left come morning.  Red barns on farms that have been in generations of families.  The blue of the morning that came after.  Green fields that came from the re-birth and yellow for those who carried on the light.

Catagory:  Original Design
American Made Brand solid cottons
One layer craft weight felt/one layer Quilter's Dream Select batt
Connecting Threads - various colors/home machine quilted
Assortment of mini buttons
Finished Size:  28" square

Sewingly Yours,
Sharon

15 comments:

Raewyn said...

A powerful quilt Sharon. It must evoke strong emotions in you whenever you look at it. I love the touch of the buttons where the quilting stops.

Mary said...

I'm glad you made a quilt for this. It looks great with the buttons! I bought the fabrics but didn't make mine. Never enough time somedays.

Pauline G said...

What a great way to express the aftermath of the destruction. I love the way this quilt has been developed - well done and best of luck !

Sparky said...

very modern very colorful and as always love your variety of styles and passions

KaHolly said...

Oh, my goodness, what a statement!!

Corrie said...

What a creative endeavor. Good luck!

Teresa in Music City said...

I love it Sharon - very graphic and visual!!! Clean lines and beautiful use of color to make a statement!

Christine M said...

What an amazing quilt you have made Sharon.

Joanna said...

It's very expressive and original. I see a window that gives us a view of what your valley experienced. Nice job.

Rebecca in AK said...

It is a very dramatic quilt. I think you accomplished your goal in expressing your feelings.

Denise :) said...

Sharon, this is a beautiful piece. Your words, as you described it, were so moving. :)

Needled Mom said...

Great idea, Sharon, and it looks so nice too. I love the wee buttons on it.

Kate said...

Very graphic and very dynamic at the same time. Beautifully done.

Sheila said...

Your quilt really depicts how you were feeling from the affects of Irene , you did an amazing job !

Anonymous said...

What a great quilt to record a memory! I, too, grew up in a farming community. A couple of times during my childhood, the river flooded and altered life there. My most memorable was the testing day for me to take my ACT for college. The river flooded during the night and cut our neighborhood off from town. I remember that the National Guard had huge trucks that were able to navigate the debris and high waters. So I was transported via NG truck to my testing location! It was so disheartening to see all the damage done to the farms when I went to help the farmers along the river clean up afterwards. Such a loss!