Friday, October 24, 2014

Blogger's Quilt Festival - Mini Catagory



Our Fall Market Experience

What a wonderful idea for us all to enjoy the Quilt Festival.  Amy let's us show off our quilts in a variety of catagories and we all get to enjoy 'The Show of Shows' in my opinion.

I have participated in each Festival since blogging - always entering the Mini Catagory with one of my doll quilts.  But this year I am using another mini.


I made this mini for the Black Cat Crossing Hop, using up my final Ghastlies scraps along with some of my black strings and bits.


It all started with a dumping of the zippy bag of fun stuff that needed to smile.


I took a coloring page cat figure and enlarged it.  Then roughly drew a square in a square in a square in a square,etc..... to cover the cat drawing.  Then just using the 'flip and sew' method, covered him with all those fun bit of fabric.  Add some fuseable (Steam-A-Seam) to the back and cut him out - ready to add to a background.

  
A close up of the start of the square in a square.  That little center bit was the last of one of my grandpa's ties.  It reminded me of a cat's eye - black cats are quite mystical,  all knowing and seeing - so I thought this made for a purrfect start.


It needed a fence look - think the rhyme "The Crooked Man"  who had a crooked cat - who walked a crooked stile.  So I went with a mini braid bottom border.


And added some mini  log cabin blocks that blended into the 'Mellow Yellow' main background to give the illusion of steps.  We all know how cats like to climb.


I used one layer of Quilter's Dream cotton/poly and one layer of Quilter's Dream 100% cotton for batting.  Simple stitch in the ditch thru the braid and the logs and a meander for the back ground.  The cat was fused raw edge machine quilted with some outline details. 

Catagory:   Mini
Finished size - 15" square.

Sewingly Yours,
Sharon


24 comments:

Staci said...

This is super duper duper cute!

Teresa in Music City said...

Oh Sharon! I love this little quilt SO much!!!! That kitty could leap from the page and over that fence and I wouldn't be a bit surprised :) Our Gypsy used to love to jump our fence to go exploring the neighborhood - we used to say, "Gypsy's done another jailbreak!"

KatieQ said...

The kitty is wonderful. Great way to use up your Ghastly Scraps.

Mary said...

How awesomne to use a piece of your father's tie in this project...

Karens Quilts, Crows and Cardinals said...

What a neat project. Love the creativity!

Anonymous said...

Wow Sharon I love this it's gorgeous,will have to show my mum,she loves cats.xx

Maria said...

Love your lack Cat mini..

Karen M said...

I love you cat. How sweet that your grandpa's tie is in there too. Good luck.

Dasha said...

Absolutely brilliant Sharon. And I love that you have used some of your grandpa's tie. I never met any of my grandparents. They had all died by the time I decided to venture forth into this world.

Dana Gaffney said...

I really love this one, it's beautiful and fun.

Quilting Babcia said...

I'll have that Crooked Cat song in my brain all day now! This mini is perfect for the season - I love it!!

Debbie said...

Yes, I love this one....so glad you put it in. Now, I will be humming that tune all day!

ES said...

Love this quilt! The cat is ready to jump!! Awesome!

Pattilou said...

There are so many fun elements in this little quilt! Love it!

Lynn said...

This is just so cute Sharon! Very creative.

Barbara said...

Well, you already know I love this quilt.

Val's Quilting Studio said...

I love this mini...it's unique and fun!

sunny said...

Sew cute! I'm a cat lover, and this is just perfect. I love that you made your own fabric for the cat.

Renee said...

I love your black cat! Your grandfather's tie is such a sweet addition.

Kate said...

Such a fun quilt!

ipatchandquilt said...

Your mini quilt reminds me of my black cat who is sadly not here anymore. Your quilt is a lovely combination of log cabin and the figure of the cat. Great job!
Good luck in the Blogger Quilt festival!
Esther

alidiza said...

This is absolutely ghastly:-) What a wonderful way to use up those scraps. Love, love, love it!!!

Allie said...

I love it. I love that you used your grandpa's tie for the center, it does look like a cat eye! I love the borders, how perfect. Or should it be purr-fect?! Really excellent mini quilt, Sharon!

Myra @ Busy Hands Quilts said...

Your cat is delightful!