Friday, October 26, 2012

Blogger's Quilt Festival - Scrappy Entry



Thank you to the ingenious Amy of AmysCreativeSide for organizing the Blogger's Quilt Festival for those of us who cannot attend the Quilt Markets.  A great place to view inspiration around the world right in our own home.  Please be sure to check out the sponsors, rules, and entries.


 
 
This is my entry for the Scrappy Quilt.  I used the Roman Square block - Kona black for half and mixed scraps the other half.  The blocks were then set in a star pattern.
 


I quilted irregular lines with my home machne using using Connecting Threads Pro line for top thread in several colors:  Plum, Lime, Robin Blue, and Grass Green.  Plum thread was use consistantly for the bottom.

 
 
The backing is an RJR fabric called 'Witchy Poo' and an orphan block was used for the label.  Binding is 'Basically Beautiful' by Maywood Studio - black with red and green small dot. Batting used was Hobb's Heirloom 80/20.
 
Blogger’s Quilt Festival Stats
 
Finished quilt measures : 72″x 72″
Special techniques used : paper pieced 
Quilted by : Self on home machine
Best Category : Scrap Quilt
 
Sewingly Yours,

Sharon  

24 comments:

Flo @ Butterfly Quilting said...

Very nice! I like how the black really makes the string blocks pop!

Mary said...

Nice Quilt for the Festival. Love the Purple backing!

sandra said...

Very beautiful Sharon and I love the black it shows off the rest of quilt beautifully.

Lesley said...

Love your scrappy quilt...those bright colors really pop with the Dark. Really admire your machine quilting...the colored thread was a great idea! Lovely quilt...wish you the best!

Debbie said...

Oh, I like this. Black does dress up a scrap quilt and the backing is a great fabric. Superb!

Char said...

Great quilt Sharon! You know how I love string quilts.

Snoodles said...

I love this amazing quilt....bold and beautiful stars! So glad you entered the festival! Good luck!

Joanna said...

Lovely scrappy quilt. Black makes the colors vibrant.

Sarah Craig said...

Very very cool, Sharon! I love the setting!!!

QuiltSue said...

That's a very striking quilt and I think the backing works beautifully with it.

Karen M said...

Great scrappy quilt. I love how your setting choice makes a secondary pattern. Well done. I can't wait to vote for it.

Michele said...

That is a truly wonderful scrap quilt. I like the different quilting threads.

Denise :) said...

How fun that is! And the perfect setting for it, too!! :)

Calicojoan said...

I love string quilts, and that backing!!!! It's one of my favorite prints. I can't tell you how much of that I have bought. Great minds must think alike!! :-)

Belinda said...

Beautiful!!!

Staci said...

What a lovely and unique quilt! Your scraps have become something fabulous!

Jennifer said...

So pretty! The black really makes the colors pop and I love the quilting!

Jennifer :)

Sheila said...

I always liked this quilt, Sharon. Especially the fabric you chose for the backing. Good luck : )

Kendra from missknittas studio said...

This turned out so well! Scrap quilts are my favorite, but I especially love the quilting on this one!

Shannon said...

I love it!! I have seen lots of those quilts made with white so your made with black is such a cool thing to look at.It makes those colors just pop!! The quilting is so fun!! Great job honey!!

Deb said...

Black with brights is my new fav at the moment, so I love what you have done with your scraps.

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Love your scrappy quilt. Hope you are safe and dry.

Emily said...

The black is such a nice contrast to all your scraps. This quilt is striking!

Dana Gaffney said...

That's beautiful, the black really makes those colors shine. It's really stunning. Thanks.