Tuesday, March 24, 2020

Scrappy Wednesday


All is well here on Quilt Lane, I just took a 'media' break to spend a little more time with my son and Mom.  Also, doing more cleaning up of UFOs and PIGS.  I had all these blocks made along with a lot of strings pieced on old phone book paper.  I had half the top together, so decided to clear that project out.  I used the rest of the strings to add the outside border - one extra 'yellow' block and one extra strip of strings.  To the trash they went.


I found another shoe box tote full of blocks!  I thought I cleared these out for our guild swap meeting.  I get very addicted to making tons of blocks, especially if it is a block I really enjoy making (and that they are fast).


There is about 30 of these made and a baggy of cut CW scraps.  So I will grow this one.  How many blocks get made will depend on how much of the linen I have left - luckily that was still tucked in my 'lites' tote.


Just a couple of these, but a baggy stuffed with 1.5" squares.  I'm using this as my leader/ender while making blocks.


There is a pile of about 100 of these tiny floating stars along with a baggy of pre-cuts for the project.


Twenty of these that I think I started for one of Bonny Hunter's mysteries - that I obviously did not stick with.  I'm sure I can find another use and get them into a quilt rather than hiding in a tote.


And oh crap - more strings.  I hate making string blocks to be honest.  I might just pass these on to someone - just the setting corners need to be added with enough blocks for a small quilt.


A reminder that the Hands2Help Challenge has started.  SARAH has been organizing this for 10 years now.  Now is sign up time (March 22-28), but if you miss it you still  can participate with donations.  Please visit THIS LINK with the charities suggested (or your own) and a calendar list of activities that will be leading up to finalization.

We are all house-bound with plenty of time and fabric.  There is such a need all over at this time.    I know quilters/sewers around the world are making face masks - you can't find elastic any where!!  Shop your stash - a lot of companies are now announcing that they are closing their warehouses - yes, even the fabric and thread warehouses.  Share with a friend if they have a need.  We quilters are a work force to be reckoned with.

Stay safe, be well, please take care of yourselves.  I'm a hugger, and social distancing has had a huge impact on me - so I give you all a virtual HUG!


Sewingly Yours,
Sharon

6 comments:

Nancy J said...

Virtual is wonderful, and those teal, white and tan blocks, LOVE them. XXX take care.

Diane N. said...

You may not like making stripy blocks but you sure make some beautiful blocks with them. I made some masks but didn't use elastic. Made fabric ties.

KatieQ said...

If I had a choice of visiting Disney World (in a post viral world) or spending a day going through your totes and bags looking at your stash of blocks and UFOs, I would choose your house in a heart beat. I'm always amazed at the goodies you seem to be able to pull out of nowhere You're like a magician pulling rabbits out of a hat.

I love to piece string blocks. They are highly addictive to me. I just don't like putting them all together. Did your HST strings start out as squares?

Barbara said...

What wonderful blocks. I love the pops of yellow in the first quilt.

MissPat said...

And a virtual hug right back to you. Glad everyone is doing okay at your house. We arrived home from our 10 week road trip last Thurs and managed to restock food perishables before the state lockdown began. Already had all the paper products stashed. Now I'm going through the UFOs and figuring out what to work on and what might be used for H2H. And we could all use a little sunshine and warmer temps, but at least the crocus are blooming and the daffodils in bud. Spring will still arrive.
Pat

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

I found lots of elastic around the house. It's a bit bigger than 1/4" but it will work. When I run out, I'll start adding ties to my masks instead of elastic. It will be easier to add the pipe cleaner to the nose area then. Have fun stitching and stay safe.