Monday, September 23, 2019

Monday Making


The result of the Sew A Jelly Roll Day.  As I look at the photo I see the top border needs to be removed and turned the other way so the leaves flow around the quilt - GEESH!  But that border was from that scrap bag - long strips cut for some project and then the quilter changed their mind?


Now the blues are neatly pressed, folded, and fit in a shoe box size tote.
Large pieces (yard or more) were put on the shelf and the small pieces were chopped down into my barrel system.


The Aqua has been cut for another quilt.  There was just one large piece I didn't use in them - saving for a border for a baby quilt from a panel.  I still need to find something for sashings and corner stones to cut and add to this tote and I will have a project kitted up for a quick day of play.


I have had people ask me how I get my scrappy projects square and flat.  Their's wobble and wonk!  The secret is to cut down those odd shaped scraps with the wrong side up where you can see the true grain of fabric.  You see a piece from the front and you think "wow, I can get a 3.5"  square from that", but you are cutting on a partial or full bias edge.  Flip them over -  you may not get the size you think.  If you don't mind small, fine - other wise toss that scrap so you don't have a piece that might wonk your project.  (and I press with a lot of starch)

Today is dedicated to finding a backing for the blue quilt and sandwich up for quilting.  Oh, and to fix that border. 

Sewingly Yours,
Sharon

6 comments:

Nancy J said...

Flowing leaves, only you with a quilter's eyes would notice, those blocks are wonderful, and to have another set of fabrics all sorted, a huge bonus when you start that.

sewyouquilt2 said...

Love your blue quilt. And mine put away is not as neat thats for sure. Lol

The Joyful Quilter said...

Wow! You made quick work of that quilt top, Sharon. Way to tame those scraps!!

KatieQ said...

It's a great tip to cut scraps from the wrong side. I have experienced wonky blocks and found myself wondering why.

kiwikid said...

Y oour blue quilt is wonderful. Thank you for the tip on cutting scraps, that explains my wonky blocks 😁.

Rebecca said...

Love, love, love this quilt! Thanks so mush for showing it to us!