Thursday, May 28, 2015

Let's Book It - May 2015


I hope you are enjoying re-visiting those long forgotten books, patterns, saved files, and magazines.  Although I don't have a large library, there is enough there that have sat on the shelf being ignored to last a few years of new projects.

  

This was the book I chose for the May challenge.  I love plaids, stripes, homespuns, and shirting mixed with muslin - I think it was the applique on each of these projects that made this book sit for so long.


This was the project that caught my eye for inspiration.  I was tempted to do machine applique, but this really needed the proper technique so I did work the piece with needle turn - and I didn't parish into nothingness!


I wanted to stay with a small project, so downsized to just a one block wonder.  And that was enough for that 'I can do needle turn' claim.  I so admire those that do those marvelous, large Baltimore Album quilts.


Sandwiched up and a day of 'slow stitching Sunday on Monday'.  The large stitch worked up very quickly for a lazy afternoon of hand quilting.


Finished off with a black binding - and if you look closely you cn see a 4" strip of the red plaid added into the binding.  Not a design purpose (yes, it was), but I was working scraps and I had no more of this black.  And not every black is a black - if you know what I mean.  Normally I use a heavy craft felt and a layer of batt with wall hangings to make them 'lay' nice against the wall, but with the thickness of the flannels, shirting and homespuns I didn't think I would get a needle thru it for hand quilting so just used one layer of cotton batt - thus I am not happy with the lay of this piece.  I found an old hand carved wooden button for the sunflower center. 


I chose the Pastel Penny Rug Charm for this Month to go with the Vintage Sewing Machine Pin.  A lot of people have asked where I purchased these - they are from The Pin Peddlers and they have a wonderful selection of sewing and quilting pins,charms and fun items for gifts (or yourself).  I am very pleased with the high quality and their service - just a very happy customer.

Now it is your turn to share:
Sewingly Yours,
Sharon

   

                 

15 comments:

Kate said...

Beautifully done! I'm still plugging away on my year old Let's Book It project. Maybe I'll have something to show next month.

Kris said...

Very cute applique block!! I'm still saying I am going to do some applique - some day!! :-))

fabricstasher24@gmail.com said...

Lovely block! Choice of fabrics makes it look good to cuddle up to.

Debbie said...

I see the red in the binding....it is a good and close choice with the black. but then I love mixed bindings. Very cute block with your adaptation. I also see what you mean about how the block lays with only one layer. thanks.

Quilter Kathy said...

I love the big black stitches on this piece... it is absolutely perfect!
I agree that hand quilted projects don't lay as still and flat as machine quilting with good batts, but that is part of the country/primitive charm :)
Congrats on a fabulous finish!

Scrappy quilter said...

I love how it turned out. So very pretty.

Rebecca in AK said...

Oh! I have that book! And that is one of the quilts I have marked to do! I think yours turned out beautifully! A great idea to make a smaller version. Love the quilting!

Teresa in Music City said...

Your sunflower is beautiful Sharon! I love the warmth of the fabrics you chose, and the button in the center is the perfect touch. I love big stitch quilting too - it has such a nice folksy look to it and goes very quickly :*) Every month I think, Darn! I haven't done anything for Book It!

Barbara said...

Afraid I didn't get to mine this month. Love the challenge, however, and I love your sunflower. Very cute.

BillieBee (billiemick) said...

Wow.....an excellent job on your quilt! Gorgeous!

Sheila said...

Cute wall hanging. Hope to link up in the next few days.

Sue Daurio said...

Love the project. Plaids are so pretty in quilts. The hand quilting just pushes it over the top. Love it.

Sherry said...

Great project. I love that you are using what you have to complete projects. I also like the Book It idea. I have several books on my shelf that I would love to use, there was a reason that they are on my bookshelf.

Kevin the Quilter said...

Very nice! Way to go!

Melody said...

Brilliant project. I love it.