Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Let's Book It - May Link Up


Just a re-cap, Let's Book It is all about pulling out those 'need to have' books, magazines, patterns or saved/printed off the inter-net inspirations.  Blow the dust off, open them up, and find a project that you fell in love with so long ago but somehow got distracted.


Remember this was my long ago gotta-make project found  at  McCalls Quilting.com - and if you look under the BONUS section - McCalls Bonuses - you will find many bonus free patterns.  This one is called 'Doorway to China' from their Sept/Oct 2009 publication - page 4 of their listings.  The pdf is still available.


I was able to make the first few middle sections by disecting the panel before I ran into a repeat of the pattern. Then I had to fussy cut the last few outer sections to make it look like the pattern just flowed as one piece.  I used an old decor weight fabric for the bracings - believe me, my SIL and I pulled half my stash without success and then I took that piece out.  She thought I was crazy, but I like the look. Just a stitch in the ditch around all the bracings. And I used the panel fabric for the binding to let the design to continue to flow.  A fun project that I am so glad I pulled that long forgotten print out from the binder.  

  
FriendshipStarCharm.jpg

This Month's Charm for the Quilt Barn pin is the Friendship Star - link will be open to June 4 with winner announced the next day.  Yes, I do ship international. 

Now it's your turn to share your Let's Book It project for May:


12 comments:

Jane's Fabrics and Quilts said...

Wow! I love it! I like how you did the binding to keep it flowing. Perfect fabric choice.

Sherry said...

It is great to see projects waiting to be done completed. I am inspired, I too like the fabric in the binding continuing the flow.

Dana Gaffney said...

That's lovely Sharon, I like the look and think I remember seeing that in the bonus section.

Kate said...

Well worth all the fussy cutting, it's a beautiful quilt!

Sherry said...

Great job! I have a lot of oriental fabrics. . . this might be a good idea for me to use.

Nita said...

Every month I say "oh, yeah...I forgot it again!" Last month I even bought more books, lol!

Dasha said...

Looks fabulous Sharon. Well done.

StitchinByTheLake said...

Sharon I love those fabrics! blessings, marlene

Vivian said...

I think it's great that you found that sashing fabric -- when it works you have to make do!

Thanks for the opportunity to participate, it was definitely an incentive to get something out off the "To Do" list and get to call it "Done"!

Cheryll said...

I LoVe this pattern... so pleased you finally got to use...AND share it. I'm off to print it out...
Did I say I LOVE it! :)

Sheila said...

I love it! Like you are looking at a garden through a gate. I'm behind on my projects this month. But determined not to let my project become a UFO.

Char said...

That came out great!