Today begins the Blogger's Quilt Festival hosted by Amy's CreativeSide. Please take plenty of time to view entries, take notes and jot down favs each day - it will help when it comes time to vote. This is our way of enjoying Quilt Market - for those of us who can't go to the real thing.
This quilt was actually almost never finished. It was started way back in 2009 when I first started quilting. My first QAL online - unfortunately I do not remember the name of site and its now a disfunct AOL site so the pattern is not available any more. It is the first quilt I bought specific fabric for. Back at that time I was only just educating myself on fabrics and designers - I like to give credit. I think most of these were blenders by Blank Fabrics. Another thing I learned in the making of this quilt - I don't like to make large quilts. And I have found my niche as a scrap quilter and prefer to play with mini's - so the fabrics in this just didn't please me or the size, so off into a hidey-hole she went.
I 'unearthed' this quilt at the time I started admiring a new long armer. I just knew this was the person I wanted to frost this quilt to make it come alive.
Valerie @ Pumpkin Patch Quilter was gracious in accepting this Plain Jane and turning her into a beauty. She worked her magic on those bare blenders - they just sing.
But before sending her off, I had to completely remove the center. Applique is still not my forte', but this was too horrible to send as is. I completely removed the center from the quilt; I replaced the applique sunflowers with pieced and totally redid the stems and leaves. I had this hideous large Yo-Yo in the center (why) and replaced it with the circle. Thankfully, being a scrap quilter - I had saved every bit of left over of this quilt and had just enough for the fixes. Then the center had to be stitched back in place. A few boo-boos were fixed and then she was on her way.
You could just flip this quilt and call it a whole cloth - just love it. But she waited almost 2 months after coming home from being frosted. Why we should never let a project sit for so long - it took some time to find the right material to work as a binding.
Finished size: 66" x 84"
Large Quilt Entry