Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Why Black Cats?


Cats have both been loved and feared throughout history. The Chinese and Egyptians, some of the most ancient civilizations on the Earth, have believed cats are sacred creatures. However, in India, Europe, and America cats – particularly black cats – have long been associated with the devil, witchcraft and inauspicious biddings. Since the days of ancient witchcraft, many people have believed that witches could turn themselves into cats to make for an easy getaway when faced with danger or a threatening situation. The fact that cats are nocturnal animals and almost un-tamable makes it easy to associate them with the supernatural. At one time, it was believed that cats were the spirit of the dead. Since what we know today as the modern Halloween holiday evolved from ancient All Souls Day, or Day of the Dead celebrations. It stands to reason the old beliefs that ghosts could return to earth and supernatural powers were strongest on the night of Halloween, black cats naturally became associated with this holiday.

BLOCKS


The next block play with Crumbs were triangles. Easy-peasy as I just dipped in my triangle barrel and my tid bits left from last week and mixed in some strings from the scrap bin.


OK - joined the Canton Village BOM. Just using my scrap muslin (which I have oodles of) and pieces out of my barrels. Once a month play should be easy work. I've added their button to the side bar.

FINISHES




The last quilt tops from my LQS for our community flood victims are finished. Now I need to concentrate on some of my projects for the holidays ahead.

REMINDERS

Traveling Stash Box # 1 - being moved on to Bernie. She just got the box so should be posting give away soon.
Traveling Stash Box # 2 - being moved on to MamaSpark.

FABRIC/PATTERN SITE

RED ROOSTER - Browse the free past and current patterns, fabric lines, and designers

CLOSING THOUGHT


Q: What do you call a cat that has just eaten a whole duck ?
A: A duck filled fatty puss !

Sewingly Yours,
Sharon

22 comments:

rooee said...

Would anyone but an Aussie 'get' your closing comment? :) Funny!
I wish my black cat was as slim as the one in your photo!

Anonymous said...

Sharon you make me tired looking at what you achieve,well down on some lovely projects

Cheryll said...

WOW... you are one busy lady!
Love visiting you because of it...!
Cheers :)

Béa said...

It seems that many of us crumbers choose to pick in the HST bonus box! Beautiful.

StitchinByTheLake said...

I love your cat picture - dont' know if you took it or someone else but it made me smile. :) And the simple two toned blue quilt that you're giving away is really lovely. The simplicity of the pattern highlights the blending of the two blues - really nice! blessings, marlene

Unknown said...

I always thoroughly enjoy your posts! Thank you!

Christel said...

Good morning Sharon. Love the little joke at the end. Also love the last quilt shown..I am in love with earthy colors! The blue is so nice too. Have a great weekend. Christel

Sheila said...

Lovely quilts and blocks , you really accomplish a lot !! Liked reading about the black cats , I dont like when they pass in front of me , the old tale of bad luck .

Coloradolady said...

what pretty blocks. Your quilts are so nice too! It is fun to see what everyone is doing. Interesting about the black cats. I can remember as a little girl my mom would not cross the path of a black cat!

Linda said...

Your blocks are wonderful as are your finishes!
I had a black cat that looked much like the one in your photo. She was Burmese. If I had another cat, it would be another one just like that. She was the sweetest, quietest cat I've ever had. She followed me around quietly and liked to stay nearby. The only time we heard her meow was after we had been gone for a while. After picking her up from the "babysitter" she would fuss for about an hour before calming down again.

Sue said...

lol I agree with rooee on your joke. I've only recently found your blog. It is wonderful! The "history" of Halloween is great. Thank you for sharing.

Sue said...

lol I agree with rooee on your joke. I've only recently found your blog. It is wonderful! The "history" of Halloween is great. Thank you for sharing.

Snoodles said...

I enjoyed seeing your black kitty - looks as if she is ready for Halloween to arrive. Love your triangle blocks; are you adding strings to make them all (close to) one size? Just wondering how you are thinking of using those. LOL Love your joke - by the way, is Bella back to her kitty self?

Char said...

I joined Jackie's BOM also and I thought I'd make two blocks each month. One out of scraps and one planned. Then I'll have a quilt to donate at the end of the year.

Shannon said...

Great joke!! LOL! I have joined in the fun over at Canton Village BOM as well. I am not sure at this point what fabric I want to use. Your quilts are so pretty. How is everybody doing in your area? Is life getting back to a sort of "normal"?

BillieBee (billiemick) said...

Kitty Kats. My cat Elliott used to stare at us and just meow like he was trying to tell us something. I remember looking in his eyes and asking 'who's in there'....grin.

Maybeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Miss Hillbilly said...

I have to ditto Snoodles...How is Bella doing now?

Sara said...

You must be really happy to have some great finishes this week. I especially adore the blue one:)

Sarah Craig said...

Love all those finishes, Sharon! And had to groan at your closing remarks - very funny!! Whoop whoop!!

Jenniffier said...

What a cute cat picture, and your blue quilt is very neat looking!

Anonymous said...

Love your quilt in progress! It's time for me to start thinking scrap busting too!
Whoop!

Jo said...

You mastered triangles! They look great.