Sunday, October 9, 2011

Fluttering Wings


Halloween would not be complete without a few bats fluttering about in the skies, eager to zoom down with radar precision upon unsuspecting victims and suck their blood. Bats have long been associated with Halloween but the connection is by far less ominous than some would suspect. In Halloween's ancient origins people would gather together around giant bonfires to ward off evil spirits. Attracted to the warmth and bright light of these fires were many small flying insects; natural food for hungry bats. People saw the bats flickering in and out of the firelight during the festivals and they became a feature of Halloween lore.



I put the finishing touches on my Ghastlies projects. I have fabric left and time for some small projects to add. It's going to be a fun blog hop with lots of exciting projects, ideas, and give aways - mark your calendars because you don't want to miss it.


There's a new family member. Bella has put him in his place - she is the Queen! This is MOE, one of my daughter's furries who was rather misbehaving around the baby and cause for concern. So he is now residing here at the house on the hill - our Halloween cat!


I enjoyed another Christmas Quilt Along weekend. This pattern 'Gift Boxes' can be found here. Great pattern for showcasing those pretty seasonal fabrics and works up quickly. I just need to attach the final borders - which are done.

REMINDER

Be sure to get over to Bernie's as she is drawing for the Traveling Stash - open to 12th - winner announced the 13th.

Travel box #2 is ready to move on - Visit here and good luck.


CLOSING THOUGHT

Q: Why don't bats live alone?
A: They prefer to hang out with their friends



Sewingly Yours
Sharon

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh my Sharon that xmas present quilt is gorgeous,well done and it didnt take you long.

Larissa said...

Wow! I can't believe you got a whole quilt top done in one weekend!!! It is gorgeous, and will look absolutely fabulous when finished off with the border(s?), quilting and binding!!
Congratulations on the fantastic 'finish'!!!

Cheryll said...

You know me... I love anything Xmas... and this one is great. I love your choice of fabrics... so festive!

QuiltSue said...

The Gift Boxes quilt looks great.

Thanks for the explanation about the bats too. I hadn't heard that and thought it made perfect sense when I read it.

Eat Sleep Quilt said...

Your quilt is beautiful, and it went so quickly! What color borders will you use? I like the idea of the large pieces, I think I'll look for the pattern. Thanks for the link!

Average Quilter said...

I can't wait to see your Ghastlies.

JudyCinNC said...

I could really use some of that polka dot for Ghastilies - new or from stash? Hopefully, I will get my projects done - battling pneumonia for four weeks has really put me behind in everything. Told Samm I still had hope to get it done. Your Christmas quilt is wonderful. Judy C

Kathie said...

Kitty looks a lot like mine other than mine is a lot heavier. Very nice quilts.

Stray Stitches (Linda G) said...

You have been so busy creating beautiful quilts! Thanks for the links to both of the Traveling Stash box giveaways.

Mama Spark said...

Hey, thanks for the shout out! Love your Christmas quilt and can't wait to see your Ghastlies project!

rubyslipperz1052 said...

great info about the bats...you know, tho...I'm just a weee bit "batty"? =P

I LUV your christmas quilt! I need to try that one. Yours looks so fun!

Moe - he reminds me a bit of our cat that went to Heaven about 2 years ago...Moe looks quite contented. How could he NOT be when surrounded by so much fabric-eee stuff?!

hugZ,
annie
rubyslipperz106.blogspot

Chris said...

Your Christmas presents are great.

Kris said...

Sharon - Moe is darling. Hopefully Bella will accept him soon!! And I love, just love your Gift Boxes quilt!! Kris

Rosa said...

Your Xmas quilt is awesome.

BillieBee (billiemick) said...

I love the quilt you made me.....grin. How is kitty Moe doing in his new environment.

Miss Hillbilly said...

Welcome, Moe--I hope Bella slacks up a bit. :)

Barb said...

Can't wait to see your Ghastlies project...I wanted to do more but am out of town right now...so I just got one project done....

Shannon said...

Welcome to the family kitty. I am glad she put him in his place, maybe he will not be such a stinker now. We had to get rid of our cat when we brought our second child home. I love that quilt, the gifts. It did work up fast. Thank you for keeping track of the Traveling Stash. It seems like the same people are trying to win it again, LOL!! I know I am.

Snoodles said...

Oh my! Love that "gift boxes" pattern! So fun to see what can happen when the scraps pop out of the box!