Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Oh, Frankie, Oh!!


The limits of science provides the theme for another of the elements of modern Halloween and horror imagery: that of the man-made monster. The idea that man can be threatened by - even destroyed by - his own creations is an old one. The Jewish folktale of the Golem tells of a priest who created a servant out of clay (much as God created Adam out of clay). Mary Shelley’s 1818 novel Frankenstein is the classic and one that provides seemingly endless Halloween fun. No set of Halloween decorations is complete without at least one flat headed, green monster with bolts in its neck.

NUTS & BOLTS


I knuckled down and worked on two of the Sew Happy Sewalong blocks. I have the 4th block ready to go and the 5th comes out on Friday. Those will be my weekend projects.


I think this is too stinkin' cute - the next block of Regina Grewe's 'Garden Fun' BOM. I don't figure cm into inches too well so allowed a little extra with the top and bottom strips - better to trim than say 'OOPS". Room for some fun embellishing.


Our Quilt Guild program committee (I am on it) put together paper piecing name badge kits. So many of our members were affected by the flood - loosing everything. Everything available, some quick lessons to newbies, three patterns - beginner (crazy heart), intermediate (trees) and advanced (multi-pieced geo-metric). Can't wait to next meeting and see what embellishments and personal interpretation play comes from the members.

STITCHIN' SEAMS


I put together the center of my blocks made with Jo's Crumb Along. I think I will put a skinny black sashing and then have a lot of orphans for the final border. Maybe a black/red stripe binding. This is a little more wonky than I make my crumb blocks - learning curve - but not as wonky as Jo's. Just fun, free form, what the heck, use it up play!


This is my interpretation of Clover & Violet's 'Stitch & Quilt Along'. I think I am the only one who went with darker, country colors. This was a fat 8th sampler from Connecting Threads - time it found a home in a quilt. Just needs sandwiching and hand quilting which will be Halloween weekend's project.

TRAVELING STASH

Box #1 is moving on to Sarah at Confessions of a Fabric Addict.

Box # 2 is moving on to Linda at Stray Stitches.

REMINDERS


The list of all those who are involved (54 bloggers - Ghastlie ladies who also have the Ghasltie FLU) will be posted atSew I Quilt (Sunday evening Oct 23rd) with LINKs to their blogs.

There will be daily grand prize giveaways as well as some Ghasltie creators
will be giving away some of their creations too! You won't want to miss it.



You don't want to miss this give away Friday at Sew We Quilt, but I intend to win!

AND don't forget my 'Blog-aversary' give away here for entry. Have until Friday midnight with winner announced Saturday (22nd)morning.

CLOSING THOUGHT

Q: What did one of Frankenstein's ears say to the other?
A: I didn't know we lived on the same block.

Sewingly Yours,
Sharon


31 comments:

quiltzyx said...

Nice idea for the guild name tags. I need to make a new one for myself pretty soon.
Your Sew Happy stitcheries look so good - I haven't even started yet, but I'm stock piling the patterns!

How cute is that garden tool block? Was it paper pieced?

I REALLY like your Crumb-a-long quilt! One of these days.....

BillieBee (billiemick) said...

I just love your fellow Frankie....smile.

You are really keeping up with your projects.

Béa said...

Your center crumb quilt look good for now.hugs

Deb said...

Loving all the Halloween snippets! I had not heard of crumb quilts before so had to go and read about them. I just throw all my crumbs away * gasp*!! Love the look of yours. Might have to start saving my crumbs.

Kathy S. said...

LOVE the Garden Fun block!!!

Roma said...

You have been busy.. The Redwork looks great.
you Seasonal items are so fun to view..
Crumb quilt is is a beauty too.
And I happen to like your fabrics for your Clover and Violets.

keep up the good work..

Wilma Lee said...

Love the garden tools block, so clever.

Stray Stitches (Linda G) said...

You always amaze me with all you create! Thanks for the reminder that the next Garden Party block has been released. Your is fantastic.

Sarah Craig said...

Lots of pretty eye candy as usual, but I absolutely love your crumb quilt!! So pretty!!

Sheila said...

love the crumb quilt and your stitcherie blocks as well , you sure are busy :-)

krisgray said...

Lovely crumbs! I had to give it up, just too much going on right to figure out how to be crumby. Someday, I'll have more time to play and use up my little pieces.

Love the Stitch Along quilt in your colors and the Christmas blocks.

Neabear said...

Your crumb quilt is great! I don't have enough blocks yet to make the full quilt, I am am getting there though.

~Linnea

Quilter Kathy said...

So many great projects on the go! Love the stitcheries!
And your crumb blocks are awesome! Great idea to put the log cabins in the center!

Shannon said...

Your Christmas stitcheries are so cute. I love the yard tools block, it is very cute!! Your crumb quilt looks so cool. I like the idea of thin bck sashing. I love your Stitch & Quilt Along quilt. Those colors are great. Great job!

Miss Hillbilly said...

I've always liked Frankenstein. Don't know why. Love the Munsters too. So silly though.

You are right, the garden tools are very cute!!

And maybe I am growing weary of all the bright brightness in blogland. I used to love bright, and I will be doing my hexies in bright, but maybe I am sick of bright and that is why I love your Clover and Violet quilt so much!

Miss Hillbilly said...

I've always liked Frankenstein. Don't know why. Love the Munsters too. So silly though.

You are right, the garden tools are very cute!!

And maybe I am growing weary of all the bright brightness in blogland. I used to love bright, and I will be doing my hexies in bright, but maybe I am sick of bright and that is why I love your Clover and Violet quilt so much!

Char said...

Sharon that Garden Fun BOM block is too cute!

Michele said...

Thanks for the peek into Halloween history!

Sparky said...

Holy Fright...my goodness you have been busy..finally had 1 moment to spare before I hit my head to the pillow..it won't need much convincing....love your Halloween themes, your graphics, especially your sewing, stitching, quilting...did I see some Ghastlies down there...oh wow! impressive to BOOOOOO t. lol

Sara said...

Your Crumb Along quilt is fabulous!!

You are getting ready for Halloween I see,I am excited too. My 3 year old and I are going to have a blast!

Anonymous said...

Whoop-Whoop! You got a LOT accomplished this week. Good for you. I LOVE your interpretation of Clover and Violet's Sew and Quilt along. Your color combination is VERY relaxing and eye catching.

Michelle said...

Those rakes are great!

Snoodles said...

I love your garden tools...and your name tag is super! Looking forward to what you show us on the ghastlie hop!

Miri said...

Thanks for sharing all the eye-candy!

Brita said...

There you go again, Sharon -- ever been called an overachiever? I love the quilt you made that Sarah features on her blog today. You do such great work.

Coloradolady said...

I really love your block layout! The log cabins in the middle really look wonderful!! These are so pretty together. Have a great weekend.

Ulla said...

You have been busy with many projects! Your crumb quilt looks very nice.

Anonymous said...

What a productive week! Love the crumb quilt...ok, I love the all!

Paulette said...

You've had a lot of fun things going on Sharon! I think my favorite is the garden block!

Pattilou said...

I just don't know how you do so much!!! I love how your wonky crumb quilt is coming along. Looks so darn cute!

karen said...

Your crumb quilt is wonky and...wow! Are you a productive one!