Sunday, July 21, 2019

Monday Making


I finally found time to see what scrappy goodness was stuffed into the back of my car while at the Hall of Fame Picnic.  Some of these items were from the family of one of our inductees that passed last Fall and I am honored to have some of her love of quilting.


Another inductee doing some de-stashing asked me if I was still taking scraps.  I told her to share first with her guild and friends and I would take the smallest bits and uglies.  She stuffed this box!!


The first thing I do when I receive goodies like this is pull the largest pieces out first - makes those piles go down.  I noticed a lot of reds in almost every bag, box, and tote.  I use very little red other than a bit of 'pop' to some projects.   I have the theory of if you can't use it in two years - pass it on.  There is so much that I would never use it up as pop pieces over two years.  OH - I have a plan for these.


I have been debating over which 'color' to use with Kevin's two color quilt along mystery (button on the side bar).  I have a LOT of blue, but I've made so many blue quilts.  And then I thought blacks/greys, but I've made a lot of black quilts lately.  BAM - I'm going to use up the reds.

First I dumped my 1.5" barrel (you can chose what size square you want) and pulled all my reds  and made a lot of 4-patches.  Those shared reds are now being put into strattas to make up the 184 four-patches needed.  And there are so many twosies and so many singles.  It will be fun to have a quilt made from so many quilters' shared bits. 

The heat wave has broken - a good day to spend with my treasures and machine humming away.

Sewingly Yours,
Sharon

3 comments:

Barbara said...

Well, that looks like fun. Pass it on after two years? Oh my, I have a lot of stuff older than that.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Oh what a great idea to use red! and to use the gifted scraps! Love it!

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Red is my favorite color. That is going to be a great quilt.