Sunday, April 23, 2017

A Good Weekend


Saturday was a rainy, cold and dreay with just the short trip for recycling.  I got to power sew all day!   First completing the April release of Two-Step.  Just 12 blocks - a set with the hour glass units added and the other set with the bricks added - easy.



Next, I made 20 more plaid blocks.  Luck has it that my SIL picked up a commission to make a Memory Quilt with the lady's late father's shirts - she doesn't want the scraps, so I have some fresh plaids.  I have half the amount needed and this is starting to out-grow the new container I put them in already.



I added 20 more geese to my Temecula quilt in progress - about a 1/3 of the way with this (my count and my size blocks).  Geese and HSTs are my favorite units to make.

Then We had a marvelous warm and sunny Sunday!  Out for a walk first and then got crackin'!



I pin basted "Arsnic & Old Lace".  Yes, that backing is actually a gray (a lovely Jo Morton print).  A verigated gray thread for the top and dark gray for the back.  And I quilted with no furry interruptions because they were out hunting all day.



DONE!!  I took it outside for natural light to show that it really is gray.  Yeah, I opted for no outside final border.  Not that I slacked, just thought it looked better.



Just a simple cross-hatch quilting which I felt that is all it needed.  It's washed/dried and in the shop.  Finished size 50" x 60" - nice couch throw.

I have everything picked up, machine oiled/cleaned and new needle.  My SIL will need the extra large table for her project all week, so I have my hand work to catch up on.



I put Gertrude aside to get so many things finished.  She just needs her 'flesh' and hair stitched.  I have this 'loopy' thread from long ago and will sew that down rather than all those french knots - and I didn't want to give her gray hair - enough playing with gray!  I have a little patriotic 'runner' that I am going to cover up that bra in the bag with, but will do that with the quilting process.

Fabrics and design are waiting to turn her into a Memorial Day mini.  Her buttons and other embellishments will be added after quilting.  She's my week's project - oyi - April almost gone! 

Check out Judy L's Patchwork Times
and
Beth's Monday Making

Sewingly Yours,
Sharon

12 comments:

sewyouquilt2 said...

great progress. you are such an inspiration

Nancy J said...

you have been busy, and something for every project, so nice to share the time around. Mrs Bag lady, lovely.

Dana Gaffney said...

Wow, you got a lot done and saw the sun. I think Arsenic and Old Lace (one of my favorite movies) is wonderful and you're right, no border needed. I hope the furkids enjoyed the hunting.

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

Great projects, and your Two-Step is looking good!!

Needled Mom said...

You did have a productive weekend. That gray quilt looks fabulous.

The Colorful Fabriholic said...

Looks like you've been very productive! Your grey quilt is very pretty. I agree with your border choice.

BillieBee (billiemick) said...

Power sewing...wow. I don't think I'll ever be in that category..LOL.

Barbara said...

I'm with you about the border, and I love that quilt. I think when the blocks are sashed on all sides, you've done your job. Curious to see how your "loopy thread' will work. I've never seen that before.

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

You got a lot accomplished this weekend.

Joanna said...

Whew, it's like a whirlwind in your place. I like what you are doing with Gertrude; the bra doesn't seem to belong. Arsenic and Old Lace is lovely. Hand sewing may be too restful for you:)

Bonnie said...

Your grey quilt calls to me -- simple but very effective.

Michele said...

The gray quilt turned out wonderful.