Friday, February 17, 2017

Surfacing


I had to surface for a day.  I knew it was time to take a break from the cross stitch when I was putting in three stitches and then removing two stitches.  Plus, I didn't want to fall too far behind on some QAL blocks put up this week.

The newest Solstice block was a big one and I don't like to do big.  I changed up the block to fit more my style - it is my quilt.  4.5" units!!  Heck, I make 4.5" blocks  - this gave me shivers.  Something might get added to that center because that is just too big an empty space for me.



I had just a little left to finish on the February Bag Lady - Charlotte, so I finished up her stitches.  Her jacket buttons, purse snap, and some other embellishments will get added once she goes into her mini.  She's one colorful gal for sure.


The next blocks for the PatchWork QAL with Fat Quarter Shop.  I kept wanting to turn those outer units  (another kind of block), so I even had a day of stitch removal with my sewing.  Geesh!  This is the Patrick Loose line Catherine Ann that I won from Wendy Shepard some time ago.  AND her first installment of the "Spring on Bleecker Street" QAL is up.  I hope to get to this after my cross stitch is done.


Yes, Moe - how this small tote for my Solstice fabrics was comfortable for him is beyond me, but I had the worst time convincing him to move over to the couch so I could pick up.  I needed the table for something else.  Move Moe!!


While it took some prodding with Moe - I decided to finish up this hexie basket block - only one flower needed stitching down.  I have just one more block to do now.  My goal was to try and get these blocks done this month and then the piecing units can be worked on next month.


This is why I needed Moe to move.  He did some snooping, but was too tired to get involved and went off to nap upstairs.  A huge donation of scraps and more is coming.  So I am processing a bag at a time with my 'quick' method and then when I am ready to get down and dirty with them, it will go faster.  I don't like to store fabrics in plastic bags, so I have the quick sort method for them to be put into a larger tub for later sort/usage.

I did set aside some pieces for my Temecula Quilt Co Geese units and for that plaid block project - maybe they may find their way under the needle later this month.

I am loving the photos that I am seeing on some blogs of daffs, tulips, flowering trees  - signs of spring!  I know it will take it's time coming to us, but you help me know it is coming.

Sewingly Yours,
Sharon

16 comments:

Lesley said...

Good morning! Great to see your projects as I sip my coffee. Love that Solstice block. Your lady is adorable! Great to see all your colourful blocks! Good luck sorting!

Dana Gaffney said...

I love the way cats curl up to fit where they want to be, he looks so warm and comfy. I love the FQ quilt along blocks, so pretty and light looking. We had two signs of spring on the ceiling in the living room this morning, I was too busy running for the Raid to take a picture, your welcome. LOL.

Debbie said...

Love your QAL blocks....all of them. Wonderful florals in your latest donation bag. Warming up here today....no winter for us it seems with temps to reach 70.

Jeanna said...

You've been quite busy and everything is looking good. I'm not participating in the FQS QAL but enjoy seeing everyone's blocks. I really like the fabric you selected for yours.

Moe is a little lovey.

Eat Sleep Quilt said...

I like the way you surfaced, you accomplished a lot! I really like the QAL blocks.

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

Great post, Moe is adorable. I've been working on scraps too, trying to do a clean out.

Chantal said...

So many beautiful projects got some work done on them this week. It might be slow progress but all together it is a lot of work done. That is a table full of scraps. Oh what fun!! Enjoy! ;^)

Karen in Breezy Point said...

Oh those kitties--I think they have a sixth sense about where we need them NOT to be and make sure to curl up on that spot.

Barbara said...

Charlotte looks fantastic. I have fabrics picked out for my Solstice block, but haven't had time to make it yet. Moe is doing his kitty duty keeping that fabric from flying around the room. Happens in my sewing room all the time.

gayle said...

Moe always cracks me up! He does know how to rock a box!

MissPat said...

I didn't want a 32" block either, so I made my HST 2.5". I really don't need a finish as large as Pat's Solstice anyway, so I will play with alayout when the blocks are done. You got a lot done during your rest from the cross stitch commission.
Pat

KatieQ said...

I had to smile when I saw your comment about using 4.5 inch squares. They sound fine to me. The thought of making a 4.5 inch block makes me shiver. Love the hexie basket.

Bonnie said...

You are really moving along on a lot of projects! I love your February Bag Lady block.

Needled Mom said...

I think you needed the surfacing!!!

Michele said...

It looks like it was a perfect time to take a break and do something else.

Kate said...

Your bag lady stitchery is looking good. You always seem to get so much done. Unfortunately, my weekend was a lot like Moe's, all I wanted to do was nap.