Saturday, April 16, 2016

The Class




Thank you all for wishing me well for the first 'on the road' class with my first pattern.  On the road was just a couple of miles up the road which was a good thing as I was pooped by the end of the day - a short drive was much appreciated.  And most of you thought this cute house/heart block was my project - wrong.  It's just my cover for my notebook holding my notes and print outs. 


This is what I taught.  Yes, I designed a bag.  I don't make a lot of bags, but my SIL does and so many of the patterns she has bought I've had to re-draft as they are horrible.  So yes, I know how to write up a bag.


Those Tuxedo kitties were fussy cut and long tube pocket stitched, but the class used a full piece.  By adding the straps, you get 3 pockets on each side of the bag.  This is an 18" x 20" quilter's project bag - designed for this group's requests.


  The straps are open from the pocket to top of bag so you can roll a project or supply and slide in.  Or clip your keys, etc.....


Single pocket on one side.  They originally request LOTS of inside pockets until I asked them that if they fill all those pockets - were do you put your project materials??? 


A free hanging zippered pocket on the other side.  We learned to put zippers in - with out a zipper foot.


That pocket can swing out of the way so you can stack your rulers, small cutting matt and anything you want protected.  Cover it with the pocket and it is held safely in place - cushioned with the heavy batt fuseable on the outer bag and thickness of the pocket. 


I was so busy with class that I took no photos, so have borrowed off the Peaceable Day Quilters' FB page.


Loved all the variety of fabric choices.  Beth is trying out the new fuseable foam for her bag.  She had to leave early - so I am curious how this finished up.  She even re-worked the pattern to accomodate the size of the foam.  No problem as we discussed thru out the class how the pattern could be adapted to personal needs.


There was, also, a variety of machines.  The featherweights pounded away, where as some of the other models had a few thread issues with thickness.


There was a lot of fusing - so lots of time at one of the three ironing stations.  And you can see we set up an iron on either side so they could work two to an ironing board.


A finished outside shell of a bag.  There were 12 in the class and no one completely finished (almost), but we had a lot of new techniques and products introduced.  We started at 9 am and wrapped up at 3 pm (room used for an after school program).  It was a long day, but I hope they had a good time.

Thank you Peaceable Day Quilters for a lovely day,
Sewingly Yours,
Sharon 

19 comments:

Sheila said...

Success! Beautiful Bag! You go girl!

Mary on Lake Pulaski said...

Looks like a great design and congratulations on a a great class.

Kris said...

Love, love, love your kitty bags!! Looks like it was a great day!! :-))

margaret said...

loving the cat bag your students must have been so pleased with the bag design you taught, liking the way you have done the straps/handles

Karen said...

Adorable bag. I am sure everyone had a good time. I still like the heart block.

Karen M said...

What a great bag. You seem to have thought of everything. Those cats are cute as can be. Time to start planning your next class.

Lyndsey said...

Great bag that looks perfect for quilt projects. Love the fussy cut kitties.

Debbie said...

Lots like a successful day for the gals! Very good design for the bag:)

Dana Gaffney said...

That bag is wonderful! I so agree with you about the pockets, I like them on the outside and just one on the inside for tiny things. It looks like everyone had a good time, lots of smiles.

Carol Swift said...

Looks like it was a fun class with lots of beautiful bags created!

sewyouquilt2 said...

looks like class was a huge success! love the kitty bags.

Barbara said...

Well, that is just the cutest bag ever!

Roma said...

Great bag.. And nice photos too.. When do you think the pattern will be for sale.. I would make one.. or maybe more..

tink's mom said...

Sounds like a wonderful day. The bag looks terrific, I like the idea of the strap being loose for holding onto things and the loose interior pocket. Congrats on a job well done.

gayle said...

I love your bag - the kitties and the floral print make it just luscious. The fact that it's useful, too, is icing (and sprinkles!) on the cake!
Looks like your students had a great time, too. Woohoo!

Needled Mom said...

That looks like a great bag. So glad the class went well. It looks like everyone was having fun.

Jeanna said...

Looks like a big success. Everyone had smiles so I'm sure it was a great time.

Carla said...

Sounds and looks like a successful class. I like how you left the straps loose for holding rolled up projects..
I really liked your heart house block too

Kate said...

Congrats on the successful class!