Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Spring Sings to Me

SWAPS


I have been dancing and singing the last couple of days. Some lovely squishies and boxes arriving. The boxes I can't share yet. This beautiful pincushion is from Dorothy is my first happy dance - Charming Girls Swap. It is large but perfect for our shop sewing groups to use in the center of the table - a nice Spring decoration. And a bundle of wool for me to play with. Thank you Dot.

And then this lovely came from 'Q' - Quanita from Austalia. I believe this is a pattern from Marcia Hohn's 'Quilter's Cache' site? She sent me a very personal letter. I just love it and it means even more to me that this is from someone learning. Remember we all started at sometime - oh I should show my first project. LOL! The colors are just what I need for a pick-me up with this slow to arrive spring here and it is a pattern I have used in the past. But I am going to use this for my Easter center piece as it is too pretty to use under a messy pan. Thank you 'Q'.

EVENT REMINDERS

Hands2Help - signup April 10th-13th
SantaSack - signup deadline April 30th
Season Swap - signup deadline April 15th
Zippy Purse Swap - signup deadline April 12th

MAY FOR ME





Are you gals thinking about projects yet? Are you putting things together?




I'll admit it - this is how I work. Not very pleasant to look at. How do I find things? Is everything there? Is this how I want to be ready for May For Me?


Now doesn't this look better? Doesn't it beckon you to dip into that basket and work on a project? I've added a vest pattern I want to make with some assemblance of fabric possibilities and a wallhanging pattern is in there - still need to pull those fabrics. Hmm, I will need to find a bigger basket and maybe put it on my little hearth side stool. Pretty is more inviting than messy.

SQUARED UP



I played with a few different alternating blocks for my other scrappy 9-patch and I just had to go with the 'light' version of the 9-patch. Besides you girls freak when I mention HST's (half square triangles) - but I do love them. That little tub holds my trimmings - yes, I trim all those bits as all those tinies together really throw your total work off kilter.

I'll skip right to the flimsy photo as there are a lot of photos on this post already. I will be adding a 3.5" muslin border and then a scrappy 9-patch border. Yes, I have that many 2" squares! My SIL asked me how many were in this so far - she had to ask. I just sew pedal to the metal - I don't count! This is a real legacy quilt as there are bits of fabric from probably every project I've done, some of my Mom's , some of our class ladies, and some from my cyber-friends. Look closely, do you see something of yours?

APRIL IS NATIONAL POETRY MONTH

"The roofs are shining from the rain,
The sparrows twitter as they fly,
And with a windy April grace
The little clouds go by.
Yet the back yards are bare and brown
With only one unchanging tree--
I could not be so sure of Spring
Save that it sings in me."
- Sara Teasdale, April

Sewingly Yours,
Sharon

19 comments:

Stray Stitches (Linda G) said...

You received some wonderful squishies! So fun to receive those in the mail.
Your scrappy nine patch is fantastic. What a great memory quilt.
Thanks for sharing the spring poem.

rubyslipperz1052 said...

I like being organized. But, if there is too much to get organized I run because I don't know where to start. I need to figure out SOME way to keep track of PIPs and new ideas...besides clear pouches and drawers. I have a list...but, it doesn't seem to keep me on track very well. =(

I didn't think there were too many pictures on your post at all. I love every one!

hugz,
annie
rubyslipperz106.blogspot.com

Quiet Quilter said...

There are Some Things I have to have out in the open so I can see them as they progress..even if it is a little bit at a time.. There is working messy and then there is Messy.. mine is somewhere inbetween.

Love your patience and your flimsy!

beth said...

Oooh! I love that last quilt!

Miss Hillbilly said...

I am going to link up to you on Saturday when I do a May for Me post. I need to get my materials ready...you are on the ball!!

Char said...

Love the poem today and the quilt.
Great squishies, in beautiful colors.

My room looks like that all the time! I thought everybody's did!

rooee said...

Pray tell, what are squishies? lol

Q said...

I'm quite dubious about my dodgy pot holder being your easter centrepiece *grins*
and yes it is the block from quilters cache, I thought maybe if I paper pieced I would be more accurate, as you can tell it didn't work too well LOL :)

I love the 9 patch looks like a reverse irish braid, (or something like that)very pretty!

Anonymous said...

I was going to comment on all the pretties that you showed, as I went down the post reading your text - then your legacy quilt blew me away! It is wonderful! I love scrappy, and the memories in that quilt are treasured, I'm sure. Thanks for sharing!
Jacque in SC
quiltnsrep(at)yahoo(dot)com

Shannon said...

I LOVE squishies!! They are the best. You can't post a question like "how many squares" and me not answer it. So far there are 720. That is a lot of 2" squares. I love it!

Michelle May-The Raspberry Rabbits said...

I love organization. Can't help it, my mind functions better that way. Love all your goodies in the mail!
xx, shell

Sheila said...

Oh how I love your scrappy postage stamp quilts! One day I'll make one, too :)

Paulette said...

I really like your scrappy 9-patch quilt. So many interesting fabrics in there! Thanks for the poem, too. How very appropriate!

Sarah Craig said...

Oh, Sharon, that 9-patch is amazing! I need to add that to my bucket list - so pretty!! Whoop Whoop!! And thanks for promoting Hands2Help!!

PS Your "before" shot of your sewing area looks a lot like mine right now - hopefully mine will change today!

Brita said...

Whoop, Whoop! I love the nine-patch, such a simple pattern, such great results! And yes, I do want to dive into your scrap pile, and grabbing that kitty pattern I spotted in the basket!

Susan said...

I absolutely love your 9-patch flimsy!!! It's gorgeous. My sewing room is a disaster right now. I'm getting ready to start some new projects, so maybe I should straighten it up a bit?!

Sue Daurio said...

I love the scrappy nine patch. I really like how you work the white into your quilts. I'm working on that in 2011, trying to lighten up :)

greelyrita said...

I too love your scrappy 9p quilt. I am putting one on my bucket quilt list! You didn't make much of a point of the lattice. It gives the some order to the chaos. Brilliant!

Cheryll said...

I'm so glad you enjoyed the Lets Exchange a Hot Pad. Q's looks fabulous.. she'll be so happy you liked it! :)