Sunday, April 24, 2011

Listen To The Rain


National Turn Off TV Week -an annual event where children, families, schools and communities are encourage to turn off screens and "turn on life". Instead of relying on screens for entertainment, participants read, daydream, explore, enjoy nature, and spend time with family and friends - or listen to the rain.


I managed to grab the morning sun before the rain came again. I finished my last monthly goal - the geranium quilt. Scrappy Roman Stripe blocks bordered with a vintage geranium print sheet. This will be added to the donation for my quilt guild charity collection.



SQUARED UP


I sorted my 'mini' charm pack from Moda (Just One Star thank you) into lights and darks and pulled some left over Moda Jelly strips - Moda lines play so nice together.



I kept the Jellies folded and cut two 2.5" and two 6.5" pieces - you get two blocks from one strip.



I'm sure many of you have made the 'boxed boxes' blocks. Very quick blocks to make up a quilt in a day.



A pile of pretties ready to be laid out into rows. I only switched a few blocks around from the initial pile just laid out on the floor.


6.5" blocks pieced 6 blocks across and 7 blocks down (used those 42 mini squares) and then just used a Jelly strip for borders. A cute, easy donation quilt 40" x 48". This will be going to the Hands 2 Help Quilt Challenge. I should be able to get it sandwiched, quilted, and bound this week.




MAY FOR ME



With no TV time - instill some ideas of things to do while you grab your May time. Making puzzles, doing a craft, reading a book, playing some board games.


Mediterranean Chicken Wrap
For the yogurt sauce:
1 cup plain yogurt
2 tsp fresh lemon juice
1 large garlic clove, minced
2 Tbsp chopped fresh dill
1 medium cucumber, peeled, seeded, and finely chopped
Salt to taste
Pepper to taste


For the wraps:
3 1/2 to 4 cups shredded cooked chicken
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 tsp dried oregano
1 medium sweet onion, thinly sliced
1 medium tomato, chopped
4 large pocketless pitas, warmed if possible
Combine sauce ingredients in a mixing bowl; season with salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
Place the chicken in another mixing bowl. Toss with olive oil and oregano.
Arrange pitas on sheets of wax paper or foil. Top with the chicken mixture, sliced onions, and tomatoes. Spoon some yogurt sauce on top, fold each pita in half, then wrap up tightly or use a toothpick to hold everything together.
Ideas for picky eaters: If your kid won't eat the assembled wrap, allow them to dip pieces of chicken and veggies in the creamy yogurt sauce.

WINNER


My daughter loved going thru your postings - I didn't read a one as I wanted her to not be influenzed in any way. She made her own list and then compared it to all of yours. She chose the person who most replicated her list - stating "I think this person knows you better than me!" Congratulations KATIE Q - I will need your mailing address. I thank all of you who braved the task. There will be more fun and gifts during the month of May.



APRIL IS POETRY MONTH
Listen to the rain,
the whisper of the rain,
the slow soft sprinkle,
the drip-drop tinkle,
the first wet whisper of the rain.
Listen to the rain,
the singing of the rain,
the tiptoe pitter-patter,
the splish and splash and splatter,
the steady sound of the rain.
Listen to the rain,
the roaring pouring rain,
the hurly-burly topsy-turvy
lashing gnashing teeth of rain,
the lightning-flashing
thunder-crashing
sounding pounding roaring rain,
leaving all outdoors a muddle,
a mishy mushy muddle puddle.
Listen to the quietude,
the silence and the solitude of after-rain,
the dripping, dripping, dropping,
the slowly, slowly stopping,
the fresh wet silent after-time of rain.
*Bill Martin Jr. and John Archambault

17 comments:

Cheryll said...

Oh... it's raining here too! But we had a glorious weekend so not too upset. You look like you've been very busy too! Nice work all round! Congrats to the winner too! Cheers :)

Brita said...

Thanks for sharing all those great ideas! Love the geranium quilt best :-) And the recipe sounds yummy. Enjoy the spring!

Average Quilter said...

You sure are a busy bee - where do you find the time

Sue Daurio said...

I love the squared up quilt, the colors are fabulous. Can't wait to try the wrap.

Diana and LaDonna said...

I wish I could listen to rain...we are so dry here in South Texas. Love the idea for the biscuits from Moda. I received mine and haven't even thought about what to do with them.

LaDonna

Marcia - Crafty Sewing and Quilting said...

I want to try the chicken wrap I love chicken and yogurt.

Cool squared up quilt!

You sure do get a lot accomplished! Thanks for sharing!

Stray Stitches (Linda G) said...

One of my favorite things to do is to listen to the sound of rain - so soothing.
Love the quilt you made with the mini charm pack and Moda Jelly strips. What a great donation quilt.
And your geranium quilt is beautiful!
Congrats to Katie Q!!

StitchinByTheLake said...

I love your Roman Stripe quilt. I forget about that block but it's one that always makes a striking quilt. I haven't done the square quilt but I've been thinking about it - saw one done in black and white prints with red small center squares last week that was gorgeous! It's rained and stormed here in Arkansas for days now and I'm pretty tired of it but it looks like we'll get 7 or 8" in the next couple of days. Right now it's pouring and I have a haircut appointment in an hour. :( blessings, marlene

Miss Hillbilly said...

I didn't know about the tv week. I am all for that! I can't stand the thing. It's off all day...but when husband comes home...that's a different story.

It's raining right now...but at least no tornadoes!!

Anonymous said...

Wow, I have only just decided what pattern to use for my H2H quilt! You've almost completed yours...awesome! Love the geranium quilt - really pretty. I hope to try your recipe this week; it looks yummy!
Jacque in SC
quiltnsrep(at)yahoo(dot)com

Sheila said...

So sweet green and geranium quilt with polka dot binding! I like the box in a box with the 4 different fabrics border! Very pretty donations quilts. Nice poem. Yummy wrap recipe. Thank you, Sharon.
Congratulations Katie Q!
We had a beautiful, warm Easter day in NC. Life is pretty good.

Shannon said...

That quilt if purfect!! Just so sweet. I have a few of those mini packs, maybe that is what I should do with them.

Marti said...

I wish I could say it's raining here, but the best I can do is cloudy. You've been busy this week. We've never participated in the National Turn Off TV week - good for you and your family for doing it. I think that's the prettiest Roman Strip quilt I've seen.

Kris said...

Sharon - You always amaze me at how much you get done!! I especially like your geranium quilt!! And the Mediterranean Chicken Wraps sound delicious!! But no TV?? Yikes!! I am not that strong!! But in defense of me - I am always working on some project while I watch that nasty TV thing!! LOL!!! Kris

Sparky said...

pretty pinks..your daughter chose a great winner...
as far as the rain...it has been raining here for days...and this week...every day again...I will recorder it lol...

beth said...

I sure like what you did with your moda gift! Maybe I'll do the same...is that o.k.?

KatieQ said...

I love your geranium quilt. They were one of my mom's favorite flowers and we always manage to have a few pots of them on the deck in the summer.
Thanks to your daughter for picking me as the winning stalker.