Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Be Kind To Yourself


I am so glad to see many bloggers following the May for Me and treating themselves. I even bought myself some flowers today. They reminded me of our 'button' flowers as well as the colors in the Hands2Help button, so I just had to have them. My SIL and I , also, treated ourselves to some girl time and went for a soft ice cream cone.



I'm joining in Tonya's May for Me Mystery and did up the tulip block. I want to experiment with the fabric color pencils on this one and like how they bring out the tulips in more depth.


I've been neglecting my cross stitch, so this is a good time to re-visit this piece and get the little bit of stitching completed. I have my fabrics picked and waiting for the fabric framing.



SQUARED UP


This is my second H2H quilt - fabrics from Paulette. The pattern is 'Charming Baby Stars' from www.moosequilts.com (free pattern). It uses charms, of course I had to cut them from the fabrics sent to me, but that went quickly. I love how the star blocks are made to 'float'. A white border will be added and I have the backing ready to go and hope to have this quilted and bound this weekend.




MAY FOR ME



I hope you are popping in on the button and joining in on some of our bloggers who are participating in the May for Me. Cooking tips, small projects, cleaning tips, organization, and managing time. As well as some nice give aways. I will be sharing my birthday the whole month.


MAC N CHEESE
I don't have a recipe as this is such an easy thing to make and I will be honest - I love the boxed kind. But it needs dressing up for an adult meal. Chopped ham, chicken, or turkey - vegies, I love broccoli flowerettes and shredded carrots and even a chopped tomato or two. Put in a 9" x13" greased baking dish/pan and top with buttered bread crumbs and bake at 375 degrees for 20 minutes. Can't be simpler. **fussy kids - use your cup cake pan - grease cups and coat with bread crumbs, put mac-n-cheese in cups and top with buttered bread crumbs. Bake the same - fun mac-n-cheese cupcakes served with carrot stix**


Friday is Arbor Day - rather sentimental for me as this was a special day for my Dad. We always planted trees together. We had a small live tree for our 1st Christmas without him and tomorrow we will take it up on the mountain and plant it near his Cabin. Love and miss you Dad.


CLOSING THOUGHT

Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of somebody else. ~Judy Garland

Sewingly Yours,
Sharon

20 comments:

Lynda Halliger Otvos (Lynda M O) said...

My husband and I plant trees and roses for our late friends: Yellow rose of Texas for Mr Russ; Joseph’s Coat brilliant roses for Patti Jane; Iceberg for Mary’s white van; still haven’t figured out what Myra needs to be memorialized by--patience for that inspiration.

Quiet Quilter said...

Would like to see more of your cross stitch..I miss doing it, my eyesight just won't compute..

Your flowers (both kind) are so pretty. You have good taste.

Marcia - Crafty Sewing and Quilting said...

I printed my tulips - need to transfer to the fabric and start! I needed to feel spring here in Wisconsin (it is cold here), so I went to the garden store and bought a new kind of geranium and some herbs...Chives, Oregano, Parsley, Basil, Rosemary, and Thyme... Time for May for Me! I set the plants on the dinning room table and I move the leaves and take in the wonderful smells!

Stray Stitches (Linda G) said...

The tulip block is beautiful! The cross stitch is amazing. I really need to start a project that has been waiting in the wings.
I really like the quilt you made - I couldn't find the pattern on moosequilts.

Paulette said...

Sharon, your H2H quilt looks great! I love how you put those fabrics together.

Pretty tulip block too!

Shannon said...

The flowers look great. I love them. Wow two quilts for H2H? Good for you!!

Snoodles said...

That is such a special way to remember our loved ones; thanks for sharing that. It is a real blessing to go outside this morning and see that all is well. So many folks in the South are suffering with these tornadoes and storms. Hoping all my friends in blogland are safe.
Jacque in SC
quiltnsrep(at)yahoo(dot)com

KatieQ said...

I love your H2H quilt. The colors remind me of a Root Beer float. It's amazing how many things remind me of food. Putting the macaroni and cheese into muffin cups is a great idea. Children always love individual portions that "don't touch anything else."

Planting the tree is a lovely way to remember your dad. Years ago we planted our Christmas tree each year when the ground thawed. Each of those trees was in memory of a family member (most deceased, some were alive at the time, but are gone now). Unfortunately, we ran out of room, but some of those once tiny trees are taller than our house and they help keep our loved ones closer.

Belinda said...

What beautiful flowers!! And that vase is wonderful. I have a few things in that color and I adore them. That cross stitch is unbelievable!! I just don't have the patience for it any more. LOVE the H2H quilt top. So pretty.

rubyslipperz1052 said...

Thank you for a great Judy Garland quote. I LUV her voice and enjoyed many of her movies...especially the one with the red shoes, wink, wink

hugZ,
annie
rubyslipperz106.blogspot.com

BunkHouseQuilts said...

Counted cross stitch? I started something like that back in 1982. I finally gave it away to a good home as I came to know I would never finish it. I love all the tidbits I learn from blogs. I will make a note about the individual mac 'n cheese idea. Once I discovered Max'n cheese in the box, I didn't want my Mom's homemade. I would give anything to taste her homemade now. I really like the H2H quilt. Good job.

Brita said...

Whoop Whoop! Getting things line up to do is nearly as satisfying as finishing, at least it helps me to focus. I hate what Material Girls did to you and the other "winners" and I'm glad you're sharing it with the blogging world. They needed to be called on it.

StitchinByTheLake said...

I didn't buy myself any flowers but I did cut some peonies to bring in and they've stayed beautiful for over a week now! blessings, marlene

Toni said...

Love your tulip block!

I would enjoy more handwork time, hopefully soon! I do make time for myself in other ways though. I hope to get started on my vegetable garden this weekend!

Have a good weekend!

Sue Daurio said...

Love the cross stitch, that is truely amazing. All your flowers are wonderful. Colored pencils huh?? Would love to hear more about that. And 2 quilts for H2H, very nice!!!

Sara said...

Your blog is very unique, in that you talk about different things with pics, I like it!

Your cross stitch looks marvelous!

Sheila said...

Fabric pencils. Such a nice delicate touch to the tulips. That is something I have never tried. I hope the colors are permanent. Fabric pencils and needle work. Excellent combination.
Pretty flowers. Dreamy floating stars. So many lovely things and yummy ideas in your post today, Sharon :)

Char said...

Great post today. I really like the Baby Stars quilt.

Sarah Craig said...

I love your H2H quilt - very cute!! Whoop whoop!!

Miss Hillbilly said...

Amy and Stephen went and picked me some dandelions yesterday. It is the only flowers that grow in our yard, but they still looked bright and sunny in here!